Is Playing Killer really that bad?
I'm just curious I keep seeing so many bitter posts, saying how strong survivors are etc. And I'm a bit confused by it. I've only really started playing truly in the last 2 months or so. But I've gotten to rank 1 as Survivor, and as a killer. My killer of choice, and probably the only killer I really will ever care to play is my boy Michael Myers. I typically run BBQ, Nurses, Hex Ruin, and Monitor & abuse. Though at times I might run whispers over nurses.
The majority of my games I tend to get at least 3 kills, I'd say about 70% of the time. Very very rarely do I get only 1 kill, and generally it's against swf, who have excellent communication. I watch a lot of videos on youtube to help me out as well to figure out what more experienced players than myself do in a lot of situations, and with different builds. They also tend to get at bare minimum 2 kills a game, though it's possible they only show their wins.
But I don't get why it's so bad off, yes SWF can make stuff incredibly frustrating, but if you really don't want to deal with it you can usually just ditch a lobby when it's completely obvious that it's SWF, which to me makes it almost a non-issue.
I'll be honest though, I get salty on the swamp...it's usually the map that I can't kill everyone on, I lose track of people far too easily, and feel like I waste too much time going up on boats and docks to try and stop people from doing gens. lol
Comments
It's really not. Some players take one bad game and make it seem that reflects every match they play against.
Is there still some bullshit? Sure, but it's not as bad as before. Killers are at a good spot atm.
Can it be better? Of course. DS is still crap. Can't wait for it to be nerfed.
It's mainly just a combination of bad map design and outrageous gen speeds that makes killer extremely unfun against good survivors.
Killer right now is unfun and unrewarding unless you play meta because the game gets done before you even get to play on the majority of the killers. Looping is unfun to a lot of people so they scream that it's the issue but to me that really doesn't make sense since we have clown who hard counters looping but is only an eh killer due to his horrible pressure and weakness to gen speeds. Our top tier killers are all ones that can both get around quickly and down fast because those are the only killers that can deal with gen speeds by saving themselves time with a quicker map traversal and quicker downs at the same time.
It can be really bad, for sure, but it's nowhere near as often as people make it out to be.
Unrewarding unless you play meta? Does that mean BBQ and Chili? That perk alone makes playing killer rewarding, I swear I get 50-60k blood points almost every match with that on. It's a little absurd to be honest. With survivor it feels like I need 3-5 games to get the same amount as playing killer once. Though I've never gotten we are gonna live forever on anyone for farming.
No.
Devs can piss me off real good sometimes though.
Meta killers mainly but BBQ certainly helps. I use it on my clown but not on my wraith or hag. That perk is great though and helps a lot with that traversal problem by giving the killer a clear cut location on where to go next.
For me, stress and being ridiculed during and after the match is a big factor because I'm a sensitive boi lol. The stress of knowing you have to play 100% in order to compare to a SWF team and knowing that they could ######### on you is what truly gets me.
Game is rigged in survivors favor, interrupt grabs are not reliable, juking is almost unmangabe, survivors can extend chases far beyond what should they should be, regardless of killer skill. Coupled with the toxicity of survivor community, and the game is bad for killers.
If devs could stop body blocking hooks, and make actions more dangerous for survivors (say add exposed status while you are...exposed.... performing an action...unhook, gen repair, heal, exit gate lever, rather than the wonky grab mechanic. That would go along way towards killer quality of life.
Nerf survivor perks that extend chases to ungodly times would be nice as well. I'm not asking to have the game unbalanced...but shouldnt the survivors be afraid of being spotted/chased by the killer? Right now, the game is balanced around rank 13-16 ish....17-20 is killer playground 1-15 is survivor playground.
@BloodyNights Well, I'm glad to hear you're doing fine. Honestly, a lot of frustration from killers is a result of the deceptive advertising the game has. The killer has always been communicated to players as the defacto power role. So a fair number of people initially pick up killer thinking it'll be a walk in the park as you stomp each individual survivor into the dirt. What people are actually getting though, is an actual challenge as the survivors have such an abundance of second chances at their disposal that a single experienced person can waste large amounts of the killer's time if the killer is unprepared, which is honestly the real problem. Ranking up as a killer is very easy. I have ranked up multiple times without getting so much as a single kill. This ultimately forces unprepared players to wait long queue times for unfair matches that are unbalanced and unfun. Even when you are prepared you need razor-sharp focus in a chase as catching your foot on anything in a loop gives the survivors time to run ahead and extend the loop.
As a side note: Here are some of my swamp map tips & tricks for killers.
The Pale Rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zwCTJDLK8 Skip to 0:31) this map has gained notoriety among survivor players. This being said we need to discuss the map's most prominent feature, The Pale Rose.
Popularised by Ochido's infamous "Pale Rose Glitch" (
The Pale Rose is a classic riverboat that has been abandoned and left to rot in the swamp. As a killer, there are 4 main things you need to focus on:
The crows are an essential part of The Pale Rose. This large murder of crows resides on the upper section of the boat and whenever anyone enters the boat at all the birds will make a great deal of noise which is audible throughout the whole map. After a short time, the birds will fly back making another sound. If you have just started the trial and hear the crows cawing check for the boat. If you are not in the boat, then a survivor is.
The second focus is the chest. Just like Coal Tower, the Pale Rose has a guaranteed chest spawn on the second floor, this will attract Plunderers and Pharmacists so use it as bait. Additionally, the basement can spawn under the boat, if this happens this will cluster 2 of the maps 3 default chests to the boat, making it a great place to patrol for survivors.
Finally, the drop, ugh. This is probably self-explanatory with the Ochido clip, but be careful dropping down the center hole. I am unsure if survivors can still trap you there so tread with caution. Then again, maybe you can stalk them and unleash T3 Evil Within on any exploiters, who can say? If you are having trouble catching a stairwell survivor try vaulting off one of the railings to cut them off.
In general, the Pale Rose map has one main focus, sightlines. The map has multiple docks and the Pale Rose that you can stand on to get a better view of your surroundings. Use the enormous open areas to spot survivors (maybe even stalk them), then begin the chase.
Grim Pantry
The Grim Pantry is a very different map from the Pale Rose. Where the Pale Rose had plenty of sightlines the Grim Pantry has very few of them. Granted, the hill that the Killer shack is on and the two buildings provide some viewing areas. However, their height is undone by the immense amount of cover, from rotting logs to jungle gyms.
The map's most prominent feature is the Grim Pantry. The Grim Pantry is the large house with multiple ramps and two stories that will always be located at an edge of the map. The main focus of this building is the lower floor. The first floor of the Grim Pantry has 2 floodgates blocking potential entry points which can make accessing the basement rather difficult when it spawns here. The lower floor contains a few pallets, a chest, some vaults, and 1-2 doorways. The area is crowded with props and as a result is easy to get lost in. Honestly, you're better off letting survivors get this generator as pursuing survivors on the lower floor is a nightmare.
However, the other house is the exact opposite. The smaller house has 1 staircase going up to the interior and 1 staircase leading down to the ground level. Due to this fact it's a great place to chase survivors as if they run into the ground level area you are almost guaranteed a hit. Additionally, this is a common area for hex totems to spawn alongside a guaranteed chest under the inner staircase.
As a word of caution: After the last generator has been repaired all floodgates will open.
Overall The Grim Pantry is a more survivor sided map as the lack of sightlines and open ground make chases difficult in most cases. Try an ambush or jumpscare for that first kill otherwise, you'll become dependent on the speed from T3 Evil Within to actually get around.
Swamp Map Summary:
The swamp maps are unique as they are (or were) the largest maps in the game with one favoring sneaky killers and the other focusing of loud killers. Take my tips with a grain of salt and happy hunting!
I think playing killer is unrewarding because you don't feel like you dictate the pace of the game. Games are so fast rn, and even top tier killers are bullied sometimes.
Techn0 said a lot of things that feel annoying for killers, but I'll give my POV.
It depends on the survivors you get and your definition of fun.
Assuming the survivors are highly experienced, your chances of winning are very slim (with the exception of Nurse).
Luckily, most of us killers get average survivors who don't play extremely well. Meaning, the killer can expect a somewhat decent game.
Sure, there will be lots of tunneling and camping, but it's manageable for the killer.
The reason you hear all these horror stories is because there are in fact survivors out there who know what they're doing. You get a group like this and all of a sudden you realize how unbalanced the game is.
So when you say "I almost always have good games", you're only accounting for average survivors that muddy the waters.
Not really.
The only bad part playing as a killer is when you get gen rushed. I am okay with 4 men escaping as long as I've got my BBQ stacks with multiple hooks. Generally 8 hooks satisfy me even though I get 0 kills.
It is just frustrating to deal with time though. You know that if you don't put enough pressure, survivors will be able to finish the game under 4 mins.
You just gotta get that first person outta the way. but it works wonders against SwF teams because they are too altruistic.
If they’re not gonna be altruistic, probably not a SwF team, then I may not hard camp.
Usually the survivors are bad enough that it is bareable (piping is easy AF now), but you will face a deathsquad at some point that will make you wanna uninstall the game.
Yes, lobby dodging is a temporary solution, but please, is that reason enough not to balance the game?
Most people on here take the negatives and tie them all together and forget about positives
"killers are at a good spot atm"
Nah. They're just at a better spot then what they used to be. They aren't in a good spot though.
If you're bad...
Killers are in a good spot and it's going to be better.
"Your bad huur duur"
And you all wonder why peoples can't take you seriously anymore ?
I dunno the 'git gud' argument is better then 'I take a 3 month break after a bad game and still keep coming back.'
Please continue the salt though, it's really refreshing that you take me seriously lol.
I know you are not serious.
It's even worse.
You know there are problems.
You also know that the Devs take this kind of "jokes" and troll posts seriously and balance their game around it, since they are majority.
Some survivors mains know it too, and abuse this power to keep the imbalance.
Instead of helping fixing things, you rather make them worse.
Do you only enjoy yourself in this toxic atmosphere ?
I'm starting to believe it.
What makes you think I don't want them fixed?
Because I get silly from time to time? You really are salty.
That's bullshit.
I've seen more people parodying or baiting people on this forum then I have seen actually discussions related to the state of the game.
If you actually think for one moment that the devs don't take this community with a grain a salt then you really are blind.
Not everybody that disagrees with you is a survivor main.
Proof? Just because I disagreed with someone with how killers are at the moment doesn't mean I want to make killers worse.
Stop throwing ######### and seeing what sticks.
Well lets see.
I bought this game with my money. I'm currently playing the game how I want, that I bought with my money. I'm also engaging with the community that also plays how they want that have also bought the game with their own money.
Yeah overall I guess I am enjoying myself. So?
Stop being a SJW thanks.
Yeah, like when the Devs were asked to remove Infinites back then.
They took 7 months to start working on a fix.
Why ? Because of this exact reason.
They even believed that it took skill to pull one off LUL.
Same with the removal of pallet vaccum who took more than a year to be done.
"That's bullshit" lmao
All you say is git gud when someone point out any flaw this game has.
You don't want anything changed, if not you would not been here trolling killer's feedback.
Never saw you doing it on survivor favored 's one tho.
Not surprising coming from someone who always side with the toxic/trolling man-child and look down on peoples calling them for it.
Stop acting like a brat, if more peoples would do that the game would be in a healthier state.
What is even the point of this statement? lol
Still fixed Infinites or at least tried to.
Nothing to do with taking the community seriously.
BBQ OP please nerf. Nurses Calling OP please nerf
Yeah it is bullshit that the devs take every post, every comment seriously.
Should I dedicate my time to post in every thread that has a problem with the game?
Also nice assumptions. I don't want anything changed. Which hat did you pull that straw-man out of?
People can't enjoy things because I don't enjoy them.
You don't want a healthier game, you want to control everything the survivors do. Some of us aren't that power hunger.
Just ignore him. McHarty evidently can't take differing opinions and has the audacity to try and call you an SJW when the best comebacks he has is 'you're salty' and 'git gud'. I guess for someone that doesn't have an argument to make has to start one to get anywhere lol
Just to trigger @Giche.
He always gets so sensitive lol.
Nah I called him a SJW because he wants to purge the forums of toxicity.
Or at least whatever he perceives as toxic.
Ironic really considering his behaviour.
He isn't sensitive. He's passionate and there's nothing wrong with that.
Call it whatever you want, the fact is that he's implying I don't care about balance when the opposite is true.
It makes him look salty.
Well purging anything of toxicity on the internet is actually an admirable feat. Tryin to get> @Mc_Harty said:
Oh you mean how you implied that I suck as killer?> @Mc_Harty said:
And tbh if I were to compare salt levels yours seems to be higher. I mean just because I disagreed with you you decided the best approach was 'You're bad' instead of a proper discourse. But I know you care about the balance too which is where I know you're passionate about as well just as I am. I'm just saying though, you did basically start that whole salt trail which lead up to here.
Tell that to feminism.
Do you think killers are better then compared to release or not?
Do you think that removal of double pallets are a good thing or not?
Do you think that the removal of the pallet vacuums are a good thing or not?
Do you think that the killer experience will get better?
Killers are in a good spot and it's going to be better
Are you?
I don't know how you play. lol.
Yeah I have a habit of butting heads on this forum.
Must be because of my Aussie pride.
Still took a lot of time due to the survivor's lobbying to keep them, with massive amount of crying threads and "light hearted jokes".
"Survivors need a place where they feel safe :'o "
Started to be accepted as a legit argument.
Lucky for us, the killers back then still weren't so addicted and their number dropped because of ######### game design.
Some survivors even cried to keep the window vaccum lol.
But they still got a new toy in exchange to not stress them too much : pallet looping.
Of course it is, i just demonstrated it.
Nurse's Calling was nerfed.
BBQ was released on a time where Survivors finally got out of things to complain.
Hard to find a new straw man when you already used all of them and already got all the second chances crutchs and god-like mechanic in your favor.
Nearly everyone of their "complaints" since then are so silly that no one can take them seriously anymore.
The same one that you pulled this one, hypocrite :
lul
Not when it's at the expanse of other.
The basis of education.
What a sad individual, i can already imagine you enjoying yourself behind your screen, like the good keyboard warrior you are.
It depends on the map, the survivors, if they're swf/not swf, luck, etc.
To me isn't really but when you face a good swf, good luck.
"Don't be afraid, Son
soon you will understand and everything will be clear in your mind"
Ugh don't get me started on feminism. It's a damn joke these days lol
As for your first question, tbh the balance doesn't feel much better from release but instead feels like the angle from which it comes from has shifted to another spectrum that has very similar consequences but that's only because the symptoms of the imbalance have only been treated/tweaked instead of the core of the problem itself.
As for your second question, yes that was a good change but then again, that was only a symptom.
As for your third question. HELL YES IT WAS GOOD lol and I'm sure you agree with that too.
As for your fourth question, I'm not too sure tbh. With the devs and their history on the Killer side, it's very iffy to claim that the killer experience will get better. Yes there have been good changes, but those changes were put there by the devs in the first place.
I'd say I'm pretty good. I even went against VincentV3ga on one of his streams as my fav killer the Trapper, and he said that I may have broken his record for being trapped the most in a single round. I trapped him 4 times alone and that's not counting how many times his teammates got trapped and his audience was calling me the Trap God during the match. As for how I play Trapper, I don't just place my Trap at windows and pallets, I actually place them in popular routes; even routes that are kinda 'out there' if you catch my drift and a lot of the time, they actually work.
It's good that you butt heads. It challenges people to actually have to support their ideals which helps either makes their point actually plausible or not. I've been there too and you should know since you and I had our little quarrels in the past but I would much rather have us put our heads together to help the game that we are so passionate about.
So you brought up an exploit, that got adjust due to the majority of the community complaining about it, use that to prove that the devs take every post from the community seriously, despite the fact that you just said that the devs ignored the complaints for the exploit to be put into the game.
What the ######### are you even arguing about?
You just proved my point. The devs don't listen to everybody.
Missing the point. If the devs took every post that complained about these perks seriously they would have nerfed them to the ground.
And people are still complaining about Nurses.
but I guess the devs take them seriously.
You seems to have a habit of labelling.
Comedy takes entertainment out of the expense of the comedian.
Horror is a genre that entertain people through the expense of others suffering.
I guess we shouldn't enjoy comedy or horror then since someone, somewhere is going to be affected by it.
Keep trying to purge the forums SJW.
Aussie pride for the win.
grabs water bottle
DOWN YOU TWO!!! DOWN I SAY!!!
@Mc_Harty
Most of the survivor's "nerf" (only them called it that way btw) were fixing exploits and game breaking bug/mechanic.
You know it.
You also know that the devs mostly listen to what could harm their game at short-term, like review-bombing or when killers simply stop playing.
You are arguing for the sake of it.
Talking about salt...
Haha. Tbh I feel that the world could use more Aussie pride. Maybe the world wouldn't be as messed up as it is today but this forum isn't for politics so let's leave it at that. But if you'd like to discuss about the balance some time I'd be happy to see the ideas you have in mind because you might pick up on some things that I don't and vice versa. Who knows? Maybe we can actually come up with a good outcome that we could work together and post on these forums for other DbD players to see.
Exhaustion wasn't a nerf?
I guess the devs didn't get the memo then.
Which doesn't prove that they take every post seriously.
Yet you ignored everything because of that little bait I put in there for you.
grabs super soaker
I SAID DOWN DAMMIT!!!
Personally, I don't like talking about ideas.
Rather talk about stuff that's being confirmed for their updates. Keeps it much less insane.
I've been thinking about Freddy (since I play him a lot, even at high ranks) and my main issue with him is this. He excels to much in the dream world and not enough when the survivors are awake. He basically has too many counters against his kit, but since he doesn't have anything to help him against awake survivors he suffers more then a killer usually would.
And that you are too correct. Now I know you said you don't like talking about ideas, but without ideas, how would anything have aspired in the first place? So my question to you is, 'What is your idea to fixing this current problem with Freddy?' Tbh with his kit and how it operates, it's baffling me and I've thought about it a lot as well and so maybe you thought of something that I didn't and I'd like to know what you have in mind. Like I've thought about maybe making it so Freddy could hit the survivors in healthy state that are awake but has to drag them into the Dream World to finish them off but I feel that might be too much and doesn't seem lore friendly.
They implemented the mechanic and didn't touched it for a whole year because the majority didn't found problematic the fact that Sprintburst could refill in 60 seconds while sprinting.
Personally i would rather them fixing Sprintburst only, since the other Exhaustion's perk weren't a problem at all.
Talking about proving other's point.
Where did i stated "EVERY post" ?
The problem is the number in general.
Never wondered where is coming from the usual influx of "X killer OP!!!" Threads when killer buff are even mentionned ?
And how it caused a lot of backpedaling balance wise ?
Ignoring what ?
Already explained it in a previous post, learn to read.