If you were at BHVR would you be happy or sad with the game's current level of success?
I ask this as a serious question, because I think maybe different people base their criticism of BHVR or support of BHVR off of how they personally think DBD should be. I mean I probably do.
So feel free to detail as much as you want, if there's another option to vote let me know that too but just as a generally rule would you...
A. Be happy with what you've built, I mean they did start as a small company and have created a pretty popular game that has multiple major licenses. I'm sure they're doing quite well for themselves too.
OR
B. Would you be bummed that you aren't bigger? I'm not saying this game could ever achieve the level of a battle royale game as those are a different style and generally more popular. But would you be looking at the player base thinking, "man it should be at least 3 times this big, or 10 times this big. Think of how much more we could be making off of DLC and cosmetics."
The reason I ask is like I said, I probably am using a false idea of what success should be for DBD. If the player base was a big as I think it could be if handled properly that would be lots more players to buy cosmetics, and let's face it that would be a huge amount of income just look at how much Fortnite makes from churning out some pretty lame outfits.
Comments
I'm making money so I don't care, as long as the money keeps coming.
So far? Pretty happy. Majority of the current issues can all be attributed to the community (second chance meta, camping, tunnelling and slugging) and that can be put on the developers on some capacity for not trying to remove it, but overall the game could be in a worse place.
The fact that there are also such loyal content creators and even huge licenses from some of horrors biggest titles is an amazing achievement for such a small developer.
And say what you will about bugs and optimisation, but I find that to be part of the charm. Like how the Entity keeps making imperfect copies of locations, it mimics how an interdimensional being can't comprehend our universe completely, so a lore need such as myself can appreciate that part.
They have also gotten better with player feedback lately, and now the only main issue that I would like to see changed is how balancing is handled. Less full reworks, and more small number tweaks. We are seeing that with Hillbilly's overheat mechanic and I do think that it is a better idea.
Could be better, could be a LOT worse.
Dead by Daylight is a commercial success. The vast majority of the commmunity-concerns don't affect the size of the playerbase at all, because Dead by Daylight lacks any form of competition on the market.
If I was the developers, I would be happy.
So in these cases it’s “hey we’re making money, cool,” anyone on the flip side and thinking, “man we’re making $10,000 but it should be more like $50,000,” and obviously those numbers we totally made up but you get my point?
It reminds of of the phrase, “he’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire,” like obviously you’re happy but do you want more?
Neither really, i'd just keep doing my job.
Considering how many multi-player only games die within a year, I'd say BHVR has a hell of a lot to be proud of with this game. I'd be ecstatic if a game like DBD was my creation.
I would be pretty happy. Its one of, if not the most successful asymmetrical pvp games ever. It has remained competitive with juggernauts like overwatch, who is already winding down for overwatch 2. It remained relevant in the era of the battle Royale one of laziest but most prolific games on the market. Negotiations to get multiple high level license like Freddy and Myers in the same game is almost unheard of.
I would be happy but disheartened by the rough start of year 4.