Appreciation for Minotaur Oni

Hey everyone! Soon-to-be Oni main here.

As a former League player, I have quite a bit of knowledge regarding cosmetics, e.g. skins for characters. League of Legends has been putting out $15 and $20 skins for years now, and some of those $15 skins don't even change the character's effects or animations. With the exception of a few $15 skins, you have to spend a minimum of ~$23 on the "Ultimate" skins to have new voice and animations for your character.

Now, onto quality. League of Legends skins are made to be seen miles above the battlefield, and as a result are not very detailed whatsoever. Compared to Dead by Daylight skins, based on the model alone, the $15 price tag for League skins is astronomical. Here is a comparison between the new Minotaur Oni skin (left) and a $15 skin from League of Legends, "Infernal Nasus" (right).

Good skin vs bad.png

Compared to the Minotaur Oni skin, the Infernal Nasus skin looks like a cartoon. There is little variety between the textures on the skin, and it just looks blocky. You cannot say that there was nearly as much time and effort put into the Nasus skin than the Minotaur Oni skin, yet they are the same price. (Infernal Nasus DOES have firey effects, but they are still low quality)

To model a skin in a game such as Dead by Daylight takes far more effort and precision than a League of Legends skin. However, people buy up League of Legends skins day in and day out, with no complaint... meanwhile, Minotaur Oni is getting lambasted on these forums. Dead by Daylight's skins are far more detailed and made with more love and care (with the exception of Kate's pigtails, haha) than any skins on any other game that I've seen. Minotaur Oni is a prime example of the immense talent of the skin designers, and even though I was expecting something great when I heard about Minotaur Oni weeks ago, I was still surprised to see such attention to detail. It looks so similar to the Minotaur from a childhood game of mine, Heroes of Might and Magic III... and I was quite thrilled!:

Minotaur HMM3.jpg

In the end, I just wish people would understand the resources that go into modeling and designing new, original skins, as well as coming up with the ideas for them. Spending $15 on a cosmetic in ANY game is a good bit, but, in my opinion, it is quite understandable for the new Minotaur Oni, especially considering the time, effort and thought that went into making the skin. There are a lot of people who are going to enjoy the skin (including myself AND my brother!), and I'm glad that it's in the game!

I hope this helps everyone have some more appreciation for the skin as many others do!

Comments

  • Wait people are legit complaining about THIS skin, THIS one? Like I could kind of sort of understand the Lisa one, because it really wasn't that detailed so $15 was a bit pricey (though it is very accurate to in-game from what I've seen), but this skin is amazing. People legit just want to complain about any skin they release now it seems.

    Like I could understand complaining about the new Yui skin (imo it's very bland and not worth the price at all) or like you said Kate's pigtails (I was really excited for them too until I saw them in game *shudder*), or even why Weapons can't be equipped separately apart from the sets they came in (head and torsos I can understand, why weapons tho), but they choose to complain about THIS?

  • I just don't like how I can't at least have the sword

  • YOUR INTELLIGENCE IS JUST MWAH

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    Wait people are legit complaining about THIS skin, THIS one? Like I could kind of sort of understand the Lisa one, because it really wasn't that detailed so $15 was a bit pricey (though it is very accurate to in-game from what I've seen), but this skin is amazing. People legit just want to complain about any skin they release now it seems.

    Like I could understand complaining about the new Yui skin (imo it's very bland and not worth the price at all) or like you said Kate's pigtails (I was really excited for them too until I saw them in game *shudder*), or even why Weapons can't be equipped separately apart from the sets they came in (head and torsos I can understand, why weapons tho), but they choose to complain about THIS?

    THIS!

  • I've always been a fan of Greek mythology, and Oni is one of my mains, so I absolutely LOVE this skin, and I will be buying it.

  • you seem to forget infernal nasus come with different animation, new voice and new line, and spell sfx rework, new recall animation, new weapon ect..


    it's not the case for minautore skin just saying

  • Since I saw this skin for the first time, I want to play Oni with it, I can wait two rift pass to have enough Ora cells.

  • I'll never understand how people who pay any amount of money can complain about the price of skins when the entire game with all the default skins is only $7. Are these skins really worth twice the price of the entire game? I guess for some people they are, and that's fine, but if you're already willing to crack open your wallet, then...

  • @Aldofer said:

    you seem to forget infernal nasus come with different animation, new voice and new line, and spell sfx rework, new recall animation, new weapon ect..

    it's not the case for minautore skin just saying

    I understand, but my big point was about the modeling, and the Infernal Nasus skin model is extremely cartoon-y compared to Minotaur Oni! The effects are pretty low quality, too. And how much does it cost to have someone in-house record new voice lines for Nasus?

    Not trying to say that Infernal Nasus is bad, just saying that (compared to Minotaur Oni) it's not worth the price tag.

  • well

    @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496637#Comment_1496637

    I understand, but my big point was about the modeling, and the Infernal Nasus skin model is extremely cartoon-y compared to Minotaur Oni! The effects are pretty low quality, too. And how much does it cost to have someone in-house record new voice lines for Nasus?

    Not trying to say that Infernal Nasus is bad, just saying that (compared to Minotaur Oni) it's not worth the price tag.

    i'm sorry you can't compare a cartoony game with realistic model, beside minautore oni change nothing about the character unless the model.

    So yes nasus skin compared to oni skin is worth the price tag, hell oni use the same ######### weapon in rage and it dosen't fit jesus.

    I'm sorry you just can't compare just the model beceause for 15 in lol you get more than a model, in dbd you have only a model worst than some legion skin in my opinion

  • This content has been removed.
  • @JesusOnWheels said:

    Another game has bigger cash grabs therefore this isn't a cash grab?

    no league one is not a cash grab, hell nasus skin was out before dbd even release and is still better than oni skin

  • @Aldofer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496701#Comment_1496701

    no league one is not a cash grab, hell nasus skin was out before dbd even release and is still better than oni skin

    Yeah I own Infernal Nasus and it's trash just like 95% of League skins, you listen to the new voice lines for like 5 games and then turn off voices again so you can actually play the game. I guess if you want to pay 15$ for a tiny fire FX on your weapon then more power to you but imma have to pass

  • this is equivalent to people on valorant defending their 300$ skin prices because csgo has 10,000$ skin prices. both are bad.

  • I wouldn't mind paying the $15 if I knew the inflated price would go to fixing the bugs and balance of this game, but I know it won't, so I don't want to pay $15 just to fund more cosmetics.

  • @NoBSFriendlyGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496711#Comment_1496711

    Yeah I own Infernal Nasus and it's trash just like 95% of League skins, you listen to the new voice lines for like 5 games and then turn off voices again so you can actually play the game. I guess if you want to pay 15$ for a tiny fire FX on your weapon then more power to you but imma have to pass

    yes i know, but it was out like 2013 and oni skin was out like 2020, and i play lol and praticly all skin that have come out this year are good like a lot, yes yasuo skin is meh but overall the skin are better quality than those legendary skin in dbd.

    now are lol skin overprice, yes a bit but less than dbd one

  • here just a skin that came out in 2019

    tumblr_psa626LsdI1vo6vclo1_1280.jpg

    tell me it has less detail than minautore skin

    edit: sorry for double post

  • The majority of complains about skins recently hasn't been about pricing as much as customization. It's really sets that seem to be pissing people off. Lisa makes sense considering that's a whole new model. This minotaur might make sense if it's not using the same Oni model (not sure if it is or isn't). But there's no good reason people shouldn't be able to mix and match to their heart's content for different cosmetics if the model is the same.

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    Wait people are legit complaining about THIS skin, THIS one? Like I could kind of sort of understand the Lisa one, because it really wasn't that detailed so $15 was a bit pricey (though it is very accurate to in-game from what I've seen), but this skin is amazing. People legit just want to complain about any skin they release now it seems.

    Like I could understand complaining about the new Yui skin (imo it's very bland and not worth the price at all) or like you said Kate's pigtails (I was really excited for them too until I saw them in game *shudder*), or even why Weapons can't be equipped separately apart from the sets they came in (head and torsos I can understand, why weapons tho), but they choose to complain about THIS?

    People don't complain about the skin itself.

    Most of them,including me,are dissappointed that this is advertised as a legendary skin

    But this skin doesn't even have:

    -New animations

    -A new secondary weapon

    -New sound effects

    -A new voice


    And still costs 15$.

    It's nothing more than a glorified and overpriced very rare skin.

  • @Nurgling7 said:

    You use a LoL comparison. What would you say if you paid the price for an Ultimate skin, but there wasnt anything special about it? That it's what is going on here. The devs claimed that these skins would be special, but they are not.

    Saying that it is a more detailed skin isnt an excuse either. The artist team has made PLENTY of AMAZING, highly detailed skins before this BS. Santa Clown, WWII Nurse, Hallowed Blights, Drowned Trapper, and many more.

    There is NO reason to charge extra for these legendary skins. It is nothing more than a cheap cash grab.

    But it IS a special skin, especially compared to his other skins. I don't even think "Oni" when I see it, I think "Minotaur"! And I think you've forgotten the point of Legendary skins--they were conceived as a way to bring "new" characters to the game, without having to make entirely new Killers or Survivors. Meaning that instead of bringing a Minotaur Killer to the game, they made it into a skin for Oni (which I'm glad for, since Oni already basically does what a Minotaur would do--charges people and beats them down with a club!).

    I still personally think that, for the amount of time, effort and thought that went into the Minotaur Oni skin, that $15 really isn't too much to ask.

    Also, a cash grab is a low effort, thoughtless piece of garbage that is being sold for a quick buck, like the trashy Unity horror games on Steam that are just asset flips. A skin with such precise detail as Minotaur Oni is not a "cash grab". You can call it "overpriced", but "cash grab" is not appropriate!

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496607#Comment_1496607

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496624#Comment_1496624

    People don't complain about the skin itself.

    Most of them,including me,are dissappointed that this is advertised as a legendary skin

    But this skin doesn't even have:

    -New animations

    -A new secondary weapon

    -New sound effects

    -A new voice

    And still costs 15$.

    It's nothing more than a glorified and overpriced very rare skin.

    yep you got it, the skin is awesome but overprice by 5-10 dollars or euro

  • It is a great skin. Best in the game so far, IMO.

  • @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496763#Comment_1496763

    But it IS a special skin, especially compared to his other skins. I don't even think "Oni" when I see it, I think "Minotaur"! And I think you've forgotten the point of Legendary skins--they were conceived as a way to bring "new" characters to the game, without having to make entirely new Killers or Survivors. Meaning that instead of bringing a Minotaur Killer to the game, they made it into a skin for Oni (which I'm glad for, since Oni already basically does what a Minotaur would do--charges people and beats them down with a club!).

    I still personally think that, for the amount of time, effort and thought that went into the Minotaur Oni skin, that $15 really isn't too much to ask.

    Also, a cash grab is a low effort, thoughtless piece of garbage that is being sold for a quick buck, like the trashy Unity horror games on Steam that are just asset flips. A skin with such precise detail as Minotaur Oni is not a "cash grab". You can call it "overpriced", but "cash grab" is not appropriate!

    yes i get your point but if you want to compare it, do it like me and compare it to more recent skin like this jhin one i show earlier, the model is as good as minautore oni and have all the stuff i listed above, so it feel less overprice, while oni skin is clearly overprice by a mile but still one of the best skin in the game


    not only that bust jhin skin as different animation as well than base skin

  • @Nurgling7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496836#Comment_1496836

    So what makes this skin $5 more special than the other ones I listed?

    It's basically an entirely new character, whereas the skins for the other characters are still themed within their characters. Minotaur Oni is not at all like his other skins, and completely takes the Japanese Samurai theme out of the equation.

    Take Trapper for instance. Yes, his ocean skin makes him look different, but he's not an entirely new character--it's still plainly Trapper. But, if you were to make Jason Voorhees a skin for Trapper, it would basically be an entirely new character, making it more special than his other skins.

  • @Hippie said:

    Hey everyone! Soon-to-be Oni main here.

    As a former League player, I have quite a bit of knowledge regarding cosmetics, e.g. skins for characters. League of Legends has been putting out $15 and $20 skins for years now, and some of those $15 skins don't even change the character's effects or animations. With the exception of a few $15 skins, you have to spend a minimum of ~$23 on the "Ultimate" skins to have new voice and animations for your character.

    Now, onto quality. League of Legends skins are made to be seen miles above the battlefield, and as a result are not very detailed whatsoever. Compared to Dead by Daylight skins, based on the model alone, the $15 price tag for League skins is astronomical. Here is a comparison between the new Minotaur Oni skin (left) and a $15 skin from League of Legends, "Infernal Nasus" (right).

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OA8WIOM6V29D/good-skin-vs-bad.png

    Compared to the Minotaur Oni skin, the Infernal Nasus skin looks like a cartoon. There is little variety between the textures on the skin, and it just looks blocky. You cannot say that there was nearly as much time and effort put into the Nasus skin than the Minotaur Oni skin, yet they are the same price. (Infernal Nasus DOES have firey effects, but they are still low quality)

    To model a skin in a game such as Dead by Daylight takes far more effort and precision than a League of Legends skin. However, people buy up League of Legends skins day in and day out, with no complaint... meanwhile, Minotaur Oni is getting lambasted on these forums. Dead by Daylight's skins are far more detailed and made with more love and care (with the exception of Kate's pigtails, haha) than any skins on any other game that I've seen. Minotaur Oni is a prime example of the immense talent of the skin designers, and even though I was expecting something great when I heard about Minotaur Oni weeks ago, I was still surprised to see such attention to detail. It looks so similar to the Minotaur from a childhood game of mine, Heroes of Might and Magic III... and I was quite thrilled!:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/K6P3QG01P52Y/minotaur-hmm3.jpg

    In the end, I just wish people would understand the resources that go into modeling and designing new, original skins, as well as coming up with the ideas for them. Spending $15 on a cosmetic in ANY game is a good bit, but, in my opinion, it is quite understandable for the new Minotaur Oni, especially considering the time, effort and thought that went into making the skin. There are a lot of people who are going to enjoy the skin (including myself AND my brother!), and I'm glad that it's in the game!

    I hope this helps everyone have some more appreciation for the skin as many others do!

    I dislike this skin because it doesnt change any animations.

  • @Nurgling7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496878#Comment_1496878

    I would agree if they actually did a little extra other than appearance. More bestial sounds for example.

    Hell, your reasoning even falls short because he still has his incredibly Japanese Samurai Kanabo. They didnt even put in the extra effort for that or the Clown's modern day bottles. :D

    I know, like I said on another forum post I would have liked for him to have a different special weapon, but I still appreciate it nonetheless! At least it still looks like a club, like a Minotaur would be using.

    Clown's bottles are something else, though...

  • @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496763#Comment_1496763

    But it IS a special skin, especially compared to his other skins. I don't even think "Oni" when I see it, I think "Minotaur"! And I think you've forgotten the point of Legendary skins--they were conceived as a way to bring "new" characters to the game, without having to make entirely new Killers or Survivors. Meaning that instead of bringing a Minotaur Killer to the game, they made it into a skin for Oni (which I'm glad for, since Oni already basically does what a Minotaur would do--charges people and beats them down with a club!).

    I still personally think that, for the amount of time, effort and thought that went into the Minotaur Oni skin, that $15 really isn't too much to ask.

    Also, a cash grab is a low effort, thoughtless piece of garbage that is being sold for a quick buck, like the trashy Unity horror games on Steam that are just asset flips. A skin with such precise detail as Minotaur Oni is not a "cash grab". You can call it "overpriced", but "cash grab" is not appropriate!

    "they were conceived as a way to bring "new" characters to the game"

    If they are supposed to be a "new" character but with the same power and perks as another then why is it triple the price of a real character?

    Shouldn't it be 500 auric cells or less?

    His mouth doesn't move

    He has the same Lobby Animations and Sounds

    They didn't even change the effects from his power to orange

    There is no reason this skin shouldn't be a purple set other than money

  • I can understand this legendary skin being locked for the head and body, but the weapons being locked is a poor choice though.

    The quality of the skin is outstanding and might actually be worth the price tag, but as a whole I'm more interested in balance and bug fixes more than what I look like while suffering through those bugs and balance issues.

    Also quite disappointed in the Hag skin.

  • You maybe read my post where I also complained about the skin...

    Well.... 15 minutes later:

    oni2.PNG


  • People complaining about skin prices when comparatively they are fine. I legit read someone saying "These are double the prices of dlc"....ok so... wait.... are you complaining that gameplay is cheaper than cosmetics? Because Im gonna give up on understanding your thought process if thats the case.

    If you are complaining about not being able to mix and match set skins with other cosmetics, then I kind of get that. I just dont care but I can sort of understand that. Losing a game function that was always there can be annoying. But instead of being angry you cant do it anymore, you really should just be happy that it exists at all and you still can do it with most cosmetics. Because a lot of games would never give you that opportunity.

    And then the dumbest, the prices are a bit higher than the other skins. Yeah well they are also more detailed and give you a way different design. If you are bitching about prices of normal skins as well then I guess good on ya? Its fairly ######### cheap compared to most games I play as I said, and no one is forcing you to pay for it. I mean I guess they could make skins cheaper and increase cost of the gameplay but I feel like more people would be angry at that. Things cost money to make, maybe those things are overpriced maybe they are not, but complaining that cosmetics costs more than you are willing to pay is just kind of weird to me.

    And finally if you are complaining about "legendary" not being legendary enough. Would I like a new "voice line" or some sort of different animation....sure. But I also know that when I play I would really like to have a chance in hell of knowing what the ######### is going on. Wether its as a survivor or killer. Sure its not a big deal when one killer suddenly sounds like a Bull charging. But down the line when every current killer has at least one legendary skin and 10 new killers have been released....do you have any idea how many ######### things you suddenly have to consider. Beyond the fact that at some point killer skins will confuse the hell out of a lot of people. Just remember each time a killer gets a new terror radius audio. "Oh its Pyramid Head.....BANG...whoops Death Slinger. Mixed up the audio files." "Hmm is that Doctor or Oni?". So many times this has happened with me and my friends. And thats just a minor thing like TR. Imagine a new Look/sound for each killer and their powers. "Huh whats that bright light? Ahh ######### Plague is spewing lazers at us"

    Let the gameplay remain intact and unchanged and just change the visuals of the character. Game play mechanic changes and partikel effects and what not is gonna be a pain in the ass. Its not a big deal in a game like League of Legends where the visuals really dont mean crap. And even if it did you have a massive birds eye view so its fairly easy to get an overview of whats going on.

  • Really like this skin even I cant handle Oni.

    But as a Minotaur he need hooves! ๐Ÿ™‚

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    Wait people are legit complaining about THIS skin, THIS one? Like I could kind of sort of understand the Lisa one, because it really wasn't that detailed so $15 was a bit pricey (though it is very accurate to in-game from what I've seen), but this skin is amazing. People legit just want to complain about any skin they release now it seems.

    Like I could understand complaining about the new Yui skin (imo it's very bland and not worth the price at all) or like you said Kate's pigtails (I was really excited for them too until I saw them in game *shudder*), or even why Weapons can't be equipped separately apart from the sets they came in (head and torsos I can understand, why weapons tho), but they choose to complain about THIS?

    People are complaining because this skin is an overprised purple and does not fit into even those little legendary standards set by Lisa Garland:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/177681/my-main-problem-with-minotaur-aka-onis-legendary/p1

  • @Bloodwidow said:

    Really like this skin even I cant handle Oni.

    But as a Minotaur he need hooves! ๐Ÿ™‚

    I know! I would have liked for him to have hooves, but it still looks great nonetheless ๐Ÿ˜

  • I bought this skin straight away, makes me play oni more. I love everything about it good job devs. :)

  • @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498050#Comment_1498050

    I know! I would have liked for him to have hooves, but it still looks great nonetheless ๐Ÿ˜

    Definitely! Can't wait ot meet him ingame!