Can we stop with, they’re a small company, as an excuse

I keep seeing this whenever bugs are mentioned, a few counterpoints.

Yea they’re a small company, but they seemingly allocate their resources ineffectively. Cosmetics and bugs are different teams, we all know that by now. But maybe it’s time to move some of the budget from cosmetics to actually gameplay until that’s up to par again.

Minor point here, someone actually spend time adding in a roar for Billy... Who wanted that. Could that person not have spent 2-4 hours or whatever working on fixing something?

Finally, would you allow this small company idea to excuse other poor service? I go to local mom and pop restaurant all the time, if I got food poisoning I wouldn’t say, “well they’re small they can’t be expected to be safe too.” Or if a local Credit union accidentally lost your savings you wouldn’t say, “I should have expected that and stored my money at a national branch, can’t blame the small CU.”

Comments

  • Idk man..they are working on a lot. They are working on graphics update, on reworks, in new chapter, on cross play and progression and so much more that we don't know yet or I might have missed. I would say they are quite efficient in what they do.

  • @Zeus said:

    Idk man..they are working on a lot. They are working on graphics update, on reworks, in new chapter, on cross play and progression and so much more that we don't know yet or I might have missed. I would say they are quite efficient in what they do.

    That’s the other problem, instead of fixing current bugs they decide to add 5 new features.

    Yea, the game needs new things to grow and not become stale for sure. But when a new player starts, realizes how buggy the game is they don’t stick around. It’s already a tough sell to my friends because of the grind and the game not actually working makes it impossible.

    Work on updates graphics and the new chapters every three months to keep the game changing and growing, the rest should wait until the current game itself is fixed.

    Like I said above the billy roar took time, and due to coding possibly caused some of these new bugs. The billy re work itself was a waste of time honestly not because of his power level but because all that really needed done was an addon pass. Instead of dedicating resources to overheat mechanics that time could have been spent fixing a big or two.

    I appreciate what they do, the game is still somewhat fun for me but not like before. It had become harder and harder to ignore the problems.

  • Those are such bad examples you throw, but I see your point.

    It took them forever to fix LeatherFace's audio bug where the chainsaw looped forever until used again when pallet slammed. However, this is hardly about budget, but rather their decision to introduce fixes in bulk rather than single hotfixes. It takes time for them to bring out fixes to things they have already fixed a while ago. However, they do fix and meintenance the game, so I am not complaining but rather happy they take good care of their game. Can't say the same about many other games I enjoy to play.

  • @Sunbreaker7 said:

    Those are such bad examples you throw, but I see your point.

    It took them forever to fix LeatherFace's audio bug where the chainsaw looped forever until used again when pallet slammed. However, this is hardly about budget, but rather their decision to introduce fixes in bulk rather than single hotfixes. It takes time for them to bring out fixes to things they have already fixed a while ago. However, they do fix and meintenance the game, so I am not complaining but rather happy they take good care of their game. Can't say the same about many other games I enjoy to play.

    I wonder if the budget fix is their decision or forced because of the coding. I know Scott talked about it on YouTube I don’t think they expected this success so they didn’t think the coding was going to be such an issue. Now for every fix two more things get broken.

  • They are big enough to get some very well known IP, such as stranger things. And the rift pass has been going on for a couple of months now, so, perhaps the higher ups are not allocating the money properly?

    Idk, but I don't buy the small company excuse either.

  • They're definitely not a small company in terms of money. They often talk about their millions of active users, which means they have tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars. That's a big company. Maybe they need to hire more people?

    At the same time, the dude making a roar for Billy probably didn't stop fixing critical bugs to do so. The issue is a little more complex than that. While money and manpower can definitely help get issues fixed faster, it's not as fast as people would like. It also comes down to realistic business priorities. They need to keep people engaged and talking about new things. So we need new characters, new maps, new cosmetics, new rifts, new trailers, etc. Those things have a far bigger impact to the general public than "we fixed some bugs." But they also want to retain players by making sure there aren't bugs that completely destroy the game. But for anyone that knows anything about game development, fixing something breaks something else. It's practically a law of programming.

    But then they also have to deal with legacy code, aka spaghetti code, and refactoring that is no joke. At some point it might actually be easier to just chuck the whole thing in the trash and rebuild the game from scratch, which I assume is what they did with DBD Mobile, and is probably why that has some more advanced features than the "real" game. But, again, time, manpower, money. And yes, money is a critical part of doing business, it doesn't mean they're a bunch of money-grubbing villains, they have livelihoods to consider and probably want to continue being able to work on this game and more games in the future.

    I'm not really defending them or attacking them, I think they're between a rock and a hard place and are probably trying their best to get the things we want out as quickly as possible. Whether that's being managed well or not behind the scenes, I have no idea. Game development management is notoriously poor industry-wide, so it wouldn't be a surprise at all if something was being bungled, but that's an assumption I can't in good faith make because I don't have the information to determine that.

  • The excuse is meaningless, true, but teaching them how to run their business is also meaningless. If you dont like their business, all you can do is stop supporting it. :^)

  • @Xbob42 said:

    They're definitely not a small company in terms of money. They often talk about their millions of active users, which means they have tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars. That's a big company. Maybe they need to hire more people?

    At the same time, the dude making a roar for Billy probably didn't stop fixing critical bugs to do so. The issue is a little more complex than that. While money and manpower can definitely help get issues fixed faster, it's not as fast as people would like. It also comes down to realistic business priorities. They need to keep people engaged and talking about new things. So we need new characters, new maps, new cosmetics, new rifts, new trailers, etc. Those things have a far bigger impact to the general public than "we fixed some bugs." But they also want to retain players by making sure there aren't bugs that completely destroy the game. But for anyone that knows anything about game development, fixing something breaks something else. It's practically a law of programming.

    But then they also have to deal with legacy code, aka spaghetti code, and refactoring that is no joke. At some point it might actually be easier to just chuck the whole thing in the trash and rebuild the game from scratch, which I assume is what they did with DBD Mobile, and is probably why that has some more advanced features than the "real" game. But, again, time, manpower, money. And yes, money is a critical part of doing business, it doesn't mean they're a bunch of money-grubbing villains, they have livelihoods to consider and probably want to continue being able to work on this game and more games in the future.

    I'm not really defending them or attacking them, I think they're between a rock and a hard place and are probably trying their best to get the things we want out as quickly as possible. Whether that's being managed well or not behind the scenes, I have no idea. Game development management is notoriously poor industry-wide, so it wouldn't be a surprise at all if something was being bungled, but that's an assumption I can't in good faith make because I don't have the information to determine that.

    Very very well stated, I’ve said it before I think they have good intentions. I have no problem with them wanting to turn as much profit as possible, and of course I’ve never run a video game myself, but it seems short sighted.

    Just with Stranger things and Silent hill they have had chances to bring in lots more players but how many of those stuck around? And it’s not just bugs, matchmaking has been really bad and I’m not sure I buy into their fix actually working. If you start a game and get absolutely owned at the start it doesn’t make you want to get better, it makes you wonder why you’re going against people with 5000 hours in game and all the best “loot.”

  • @28_stabs said:

    The excuse is meaningless, true, but teaching them how to run their business is also meaningless. If you dont like their business, all you can do is stop supporting it. :^)

    I have limited it as much as possible without outright quitting. No more tome, no more buying cosmetics, although I did get the SH chapter so I guess they got their money out of me for that.

  • They literally don't care. This forum is only for entertainment and permanent whining people, suggestions for healthy and useful game changes are ignored.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1491298#Comment_1491298

    I wonder if the budget fix is their decision or forced because of the coding. I know Scott talked about it on YouTube I don’t think they expected this success so they didn’t think the coding was going to be such an issue. Now for every fix two more things get broken.

    Perhaps, but they are still fixing bugs and playing an active role in improving the game. It's pretty basic stuff that fixes introduce new bugs, that's pretty much how coding works. I am glad they fix them rather than ignore.

  • Behaviour is a small indie company

    /s

  • @bingbongboi90 said:

    Behaviour is a small indie company

    /s

    with a smoll pp

    /s

  • @johnmwarner said:

    I keep seeing this whenever bugs are mentioned, a few counterpoints.

    Yea they’re a small company, but they seemingly allocate their resources ineffectively. Cosmetics and bugs are different teams, we all know that by now. But maybe it’s time to move some of the budget from cosmetics to actually gameplay until that’s up to par again.

    Minor point here, someone actually spend time adding in a roar for Billy... Who wanted that. Could that person not have spent 2-4 hours or whatever working on fixing something?

    Finally, would you allow this small company idea to excuse other poor service? I go to local mom and pop restaurant all the time, if I got food poisoning I wouldn’t say, “well they’re small they can’t be expected to be safe too.” Or if a local Credit union accidentally lost your savings you wouldn’t say, “I should have expected that and stored my money at a national branch, can’t blame the small CU.”

    The problem is there games foundation is literally spaghetti but at this point it’s so far in who knows how they will be able to fix this and switch