Current matchmaking is punishing anyone trying to learn a killer

I think the fact this game exclusively matches me at rank 14 with ranks 1-8s is bad enough, but I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is I can't really learn any new killers because I'm being matched with high survivors. I got to my current rank leveling up two to three killers for the perks I wanted. Now I want to actually try out new killers and learn them, but there's almost no point because I don't know how they work yet and I don't have the optimal skills yet.

I know that I could just accept the losses when trying to learn, but I'm being bodied so easily I'm not even getting the chance to try out the power properly. I can still occasionally get 4ks on the two or three killers I learned the game on, but that's getting boring. I really want to try out new killers but the game isn't accounting for my skill level with this character being lower than other characters.

I really feel like this matchmaking is killing this game for me and I'm sure some other new players feel similarly. They need to have the matchmaking favor down and up equally, and not go so far up. I'd honestly rather wait two minutes for survivors my rank than have the match pop instantly with rank 1s. But more than that, please factor in killer level too. My first match as a killer with two perks shouldn't be put up against rank 3s and 2s.

Comments

  • New Matchmaking addresses this issue. Probably will be out today.

  • @Zeus said:

    New Matchmaking addresses this issue. Probably will be out today.

    Really? Is there somewhere I can read up on the new matchmaking from an official source?

  • @AshesofDreams said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1481164#Comment_1481164

    Really? Is there somewhere I can read up on the new matchmaking from an official source?

    @Peanits said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/LFYVZLBFOZE7/matchmakingchangesstatusupdate.png

    Today, we have enabled the first phase of our new Matchmaking System for all regions on Xbox One. Read on for more info on our next steps for rolling out the new system!

    We have been running smaller tests of the system on select Xbox One regions for the past few weeks, and the results have been encouraging. The rollout on all Xbox One regions is the next step in testing the system on a wider audience. If all goes well, we are planning on rolling out this feature for all platforms in a couple of weeks.

    The next phase that you will notice goes live with the upcoming mid-chapter update: We are no longer allowing Killers to switch their character while searching for a match, or once in a lobby (excluding Custom Matches). This will allow the new Matchmaking System to track player skill with each killer individually and match them against more appropriately skilled opponents based on their killer selection.

    To put it simply: If you are great with The Oni but you struggle with The Nurse, you will now be playing against stronger survivors when you play The Oni than you do with The Nurse.

    What does this mean?

    The most obvious thing you will see when the new system is active is that there will be a greater variation of Ranks in a single match. Rank 1s playing Rank 20s? It’s possible, don’t panic when you see this, as Ranks are not a true indicator of a player’s skill and are no longer used for matchmaking.

    Additionally, this system comes with a revamped algorithm for matchmaking as a whole. This should improve wait times for finding matches, and we will continue to tweak this part of the system to improve them further over the coming months.

    Why replace Ranks?

    Ranks are not a great way of figuring out how good a player is at the game, because it primarily focuses on "How often you play" and not on "How skilled you are when you play". Based on our matchmaking studies, there are a great deal of “low” ranked players (15-20) who can easily play just as well as “high” ranked players (1-5), but they simply don’t play enough games in a month to increase their rank before they reset on the 13th. And as an inverse, there are Rank 1 -5 players who perform at levels more typical of lower ranks but they play so many games that their rank is higher than expected. This results in unpredictable games: All five players may have the exact same rank but wildly different skill levels in practice, making matches unbalanced.

    How are Ratings better?

    The new Rating system is focused on measuring a player’s skill and predicting how they will perform against a given opponent. This way we can build matches that are more objectively fair for everyone in the game. We have analyzed over 3 million games (at last count) during our tests, and the matchmaking system is proving to be extremely accurate at predicting the outcomes of matches.

    By using this new system, we will be able to place players into more balanced matches more often. When a match is unbalanced, the system will know exactly how unbalanced it is and adjust the player Ratings accordingly.

    Why are there still Ranks?

    Matchmaking has been and continues to be one of the hottest topics we hear about, and we have been listening! To get this implemented as quickly as possible, we have decided to roll it out independent of a rework of the Rank system. That doesn’t mean we don’t have plans for Ranks, however! We are exploring different ideas like turning them into a monthly activity tracker and reward system, when we are ready, we'll communicate more about that

    I still have questions!

    That’s great! We are planning on doing more posts explaining the system in detail, as well as Q&As with the developers who have been working on it. Keep your eyes on the forums and official Dead by Daylight social media channels to learn more.


    Right there budy

  • Doesn’t sound like punishment, sounds like opportunity.

    If you’re learning a killer, the best way is to compete against people above your skill level. Does this mean people ranked higher than you are more skillful? Absolutely not. In my experience, about 75% of red rank survivors play like they should be rank 15.

    Keep facing decent teams. When you can consistently win or draw more matches than you lose, you have learned the killer.

  • @Zeus said:

    New Matchmaking addresses this issue. Probably will be out today.

    Damn, glad you had a crystal ball and used it to tell the future. Thank you!

  • @IMhereRUN said:

    Doesn’t sound like punishment, sounds like opportunity.

    If you’re learning a killer, the best way is to compete against people above your skill level. Does this mean people ranked higher than you are more skillful? Absolutely not. In my experience, about 75% of red rank survivors play like they should be rank 15.

    Keep facing decent teams. When you can consistently win or draw more matches than you lose, you have learned the killer.

    I dunno. When I'm trying to figure out how a power works and I'm down to one gen left within three minutes after one hook and I don't have any good perks yet... I dunno, I feel like there's not much I can learn about the Killer this way. I'm sure some would be able to, but I'd rather Survivors on my own skill level so I can get into more situations.

  • @IMhereRUN said:

    Doesn’t sound like punishment, sounds like opportunity.

    If you’re learning a killer, the best way is to compete against people above your skill level. Does this mean people ranked higher than you are more skillful? Absolutely not. In my experience, about 75% of red rank survivors play like they should be rank 15.

    Keep facing decent teams. When you can consistently win or draw more matches than you lose, you have learned the killer.

    no, learning and having games be over in 5 minutes do not match together well.

  • @AshesofDreams said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1481198#Comment_1481198

    I dunno. When I'm trying to figure out how a power works and I'm down to one gen left within three minutes after one hook and I don't have any good perks yet... I dunno, I feel like there's not much I can learn about the Killer this way. I'm sure some would be able to, but I'd rather Survivors on my own skill level so I can get into more situations.

    No killer is perk reliant. Please understand this game just celebrated the 4th year anniversary. Most survivors know counterplay to every killer now, the newer the killer...the stronger they are. Unfortunately at this stage in the game’s existence, this is your only option besides KYF.

    @faff said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1481198#Comment_1481198

    no, learning and having games be over in 5 minutes do not match together well.

    You can learn alot in 5 minutes. Firstly, you learned that you need ALOT more gen pressure. If the game is over in 5 minutes, that means 3 survivors were forced to take their fingers off of the M1 button. Digest that knowledge, change your playstyle in the next game. Adapt!