Its not that hard to make original builds

So I was looking in custom games as survivor just to read over survivor perks. I was looking at many of these perks like distortion, alert and especially detectives hunch and I was just wondering about why many perk builds that you see in red ranks are so unoriginal and not varied. There seem to be many potentially strong perks and builds that you can run for survivor. When I saw detectives hunch I just thought about how insane that perk is. More perks that I would consider to be strong are

Alert: Easy information with little commitment on your end and no real requirements, likely will go off at least three times, more if the killer is running pop

Autodidact: After 3 heals you get to heal extremely fast, with this you no longer have to worry about using medkits to heal fast

Botany: Just a strong healing perk, straightforward.

Dance with me: Paired with life and quick and quiet it can

Dark sense: Similar to alert, little commitment with good information

Detective hunch: This perk is literally crazy, you get so much info

Distortion: Its slightly niche, its kind of countered by bbq so I can understand why its not run often

For the people: An instaheal

Inner strength: We already know about this perk but in my opinion its still underused.

Leader: Basically a second prove thyself

Pharmacy: A good perk in healing builds

Saboteur: You can sabo hooks without a toolbox

Well make it: You can get great healing for 90 seconds, even letting you heal on hook.

Soul guard: This perk is definitely underutilized, it has a purpose as an anti hex perk, which I would say is good due to ruin being slapped onto many killer builds when theres nothing better to run.

Theres likely more that I have not mentioned, those are just the ones that caught my eye, but you get a general idea that there are many strong survivor perks. The only viable survivor perks aren't just the exhaustion perks and ds, through my searching I have found 13 perks that I would consider to be a mix of solid and strong. With this in mind, I genuinely disagree with any survivor who believes that survivors options are very limited or that survivors have very weak perks, which are both untrue statements. There is so much room for creativity in builds for survivor, yet a very common complaint in red ranks is that there is no build diversity. This is not due to the fact that survivors perks are weak at all, it is completely the fault of uncreative survivors. There is so much room for originality yet it feels like there are so many builds that use the same 6 perks.

Before anyone mentions how killers are the same way and run all the same perks, they really dont. Killers often try to find new perks builds with niche perks, as we see with killers trying to tech in forced penance into legion or oni builds. Killers will likely begin to utilize franklins demise and lightborn with those buffs. There are many examples of killers trying perks that arent just the usual stuff like save the best for last, BBQ, and pop. With all this said, survivors should begin to utilize the many solid perks at their disposal.

Comments

  • It's mainly because the meta perks are proven to be consistently very effective in most matches. For example, DS has long been heralded as one of the strongest survivor perks pretty much since it released. Running a full set of meta perks can significantly improve a survivor's chance of escape whether they are playing solo or SWF.

    You're not wrong, there are other great perk options for survivors (Alert and Leader are both known to be pretty good, while Inner Strength, Saboteur, and We'll Make It actually do see a decent amount of use). However, running these perks means trading out one of the meta perks, which is an opportunity cost many survivors don't seem interested in paying.

    At higher levels of play, most skilled survivors would rather use builds that will help them in chase (or to recover from being beaten in one, like with DS or Unbreakable). Dance With Me sometimes appears as part of a Lithe Combo for this purpose, but few of the other perks on your list have real application in chase. These survivors aren't usually very interested in creating builds that orient much around stealth, healing, gens, or other cheeky things. If everyone is set up to be able to lead the killer on a lengthy chase and keep them distracted, then the time you need for other things matters a lot less.

    There are plenty of perks that are entertaining to use and that some players will run just for fun (Aftercare, Autodidact, Diversion, Mettle of Man, Plunderer's Instinct, Stake Out, etc). But some players just really want to win, so they will aim to use the tools available that will consistently give them the best chance at that.


    And a lot of the perks on your list are not considered strong by most survivors; at least not strong enough to win a perk slot over other perks. A few examples:

    -Pharmacy: Med-kits are basically the most common item in the game. This perk only guarantees the green med-kit which allows you to have a single tremendously fast heal. It is mostly worthless after that single chest search, as you only shave 4.5 seconds off the normal 10-second search time at Pharmacy's highest tier. Plunderer's highlights chest auras for you and gives you a significantly better chance to get rare items in EVERY chest you search. It's a Universal (Non-Teachable) Perk that beats out Pharmacy.

    -Distortion: You only get three tokens and they are easily spent with no way to get more. The main aura reading a survivor will want to be countering is from BBQ & Chili, which lockers can handle just fine. It fails to counter many of the other popular tracking perks available to killer (Whispers, Discordance, Thrilling Tremors, etc). It's a perk that looks good on paper, but is actually very underwhelming in practice.

    -For the People: A one-state instaheal, but also a health trade. If a healthy survivor insta-heals a survivor from dying state, killer can now go for either of the two injured survivors in front of them (possibly even snowball early by downing both). It's another one of those perks which fits in the "fun to run" category, but it is not actually a very effective play unless you've got Mettle of Man or Dead Hard ready to go.

  • Not hard, just not good

  • @alleycat012 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/174655/its-not-that-hard-to-make-original-builds

    It is when 95% of killer perks are garbage, and 90% of survivor perks are garbage by comparison to the few good ones.

    This whole post was about saying all these strong perks for survs, I do kind of agree killer perks arent very strong though.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/174655/its-not-that-hard-to-make-original-builds

    Let me dismantle every perk on that list as someone who doesn't play survivor often yet still maintains red ranks (somehow):

    Alert: You don't need to know where the killer is unless they're coming for you, and if you do want to know OoO or Spine Chill exist.

    Autodidact: Good luck getting stacks before the match is over. Plague exists.

    Botany: Plague exists.

    Dance with Me: Not as effective as you might think. Only decent with Lithe, even then, questionable since it's easy to maintain LoS on a survivor in most circumstances.

    Dark Sense: Again, OoO/Spine Chill.

    Detective's Hunch: Unless you've been dealing with a bunch of NOED users, not necessary. Maps with range add-ons do its job fine.

    Distortion: Tokens can be burned fast depending on the killer/build, lockers work just as well against BBQ. Besides, it's basically aura sandbagging.

    For the People: Fun...when you can actually find a time to use the damn thing.

    Inner Strength: A medkit does just as well. Cleansing totems takes time and isn't guaranteed depending on teammates' actions. Plague. It is good, but not necessary.

    Leader: It doesn't work on gens anymore so meh.

    Pharmacy: Only if I want green medkits. But...teammates, dying, Plague, etc.

    Saboteur: Wow, let me just go out of my way, off this gen to sabo this hook and save my- oh there's another hook and they come back too quickly. And the killer was too far away because I wasn't chasing them around waiting for my teammate to die, being useless (which I would've brought a flashlight for anyway). RIP.

    We'll Make It: Let me heal you teammate let me heal you I have WMI the killer won't be able to reach us in time please for the love of god don't leave me I already lost my dad please. Plus campers. Plague.

    Soul Guard: It's all too rare for a killer to slug in my games, and when they do, they usually leave me because they think I have DS.

    You seeing the problem here? All of those perks have situations in where they're made functionally useless, and some of them you're giving too much credit for. The meta is as it is because those perks see value in every single game regardless of killer and regardless of build. It's not good enough for things to be strong in this game, they have to be strong and consistent. Especially when every other killer is a Spirit with a slowdown build in red ranks.

    Plague is literally the least played killer in the game and also yes, perks shouldnt just give immense value every game.

  • You guys seem to misunderstand the purpose of this post, its to call out survivors who say all survivor perks except the common ones are bad. It is also to give survivors examples of all these perks and potential perk builds, instead of running the same perks every game as survivor. It doesnt have to be the same stealth claudette builds or the same chase second chance builds every game. Maybe those builds are better but there are more builds to use

  • @JesterClown said:

    You guys seem to misunderstand the purpose of this post, its to call out survivors who say all survivor perks except the common ones are bad. It is also to give survivors examples of all these perks and potential perk builds, instead of running the same perks every game as survivor. It doesnt have to be the same stealth claudette builds or the same chase second chance builds every game. Maybe those builds are better but there are more builds to use

    I don't agree with all your inclusions. But there are a lot of solid perks that people don't use. Detective's Hunch is extremely underrated. Alert is also a solid choice. Botany, Inner Strength, and Leader are all great as well.

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1475202#Comment_1475202

    I don't agree with all your inclusions. But there are a lot of solid perks that people don't use. Detective's Hunch is extremely underrated. Alert is also a solid choice. Botany, Inner Strength, and Leader are all great as well.

    I can see why people dont like a few of these things such as saboteur, distortion and maybe soul guard.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @JesterClown said:

    So I was looking in custom games as survivor just to read over survivor perks. I was looking at many of these perks like distortion, alert and especially detectives hunch and I was just wondering about why many perk builds that you see in red ranks are so unoriginal and not varied. There seem to be many potentially strong perks and builds that you can run for survivor. When I saw detectives hunch I just thought about how insane that perk is. More perks that I would consider to be strong are

    Alert: Easy information with little commitment on your end and no real requirements, likely will go off at least three times, more if the killer is running pop

    Autodidact: After 3 heals you get to heal extremely fast, with this you no longer have to worry about using medkits to heal fast

    Botany: Just a strong healing perk, straightforward.

    Dance with me: Paired with life and quick and quiet it can

    Dark sense: Similar to alert, little commitment with good information

    Detective hunch: This perk is literally crazy, you get so much info

    Distortion: Its slightly niche, its kind of countered by bbq so I can understand why its not run often

    For the people: An instaheal

    Inner strength: We already know about this perk but in my opinion its still underused.

    Leader: Basically a second prove thyself

    Pharmacy: A good perk in healing builds

    Saboteur: You can sabo hooks without a toolbox

    Well make it: You can get great healing for 90 seconds, even letting you heal on hook.

    Soul guard: This perk is definitely underutilized, it has a purpose as an anti hex perk, which I would say is good due to ruin being slapped onto many killer builds when theres nothing better to run.

    Theres likely more that I have not mentioned, those are just the ones that caught my eye, but you get a general idea that there are many strong survivor perks. The only viable survivor perks aren't just the exhaustion perks and ds, through my searching I have found 13 perks that I would consider to be a mix of solid and strong. With this in mind, I genuinely disagree with any survivor who believes that survivors options are very limited or that survivors have very weak perks, which are both untrue statements. There is so much room for creativity in builds for survivor, yet a very common complaint in red ranks is that there is no build diversity. This is not due to the fact that survivors perks are weak at all, it is completely the fault of uncreative survivors. There is so much room for originality yet it feels like there are so many builds that use the same 6 perks.

    Before anyone mentions how killers are the same way and run all the same perks, they really dont. Killers often try to find new perks builds with niche perks, as we see with killers trying to tech in forced penance into legion or oni builds. Killers will likely begin to utilize franklins demise and lightborn with those buffs. There are many examples of killers trying perks that arent just the usual stuff like save the best for last, BBQ, and pop. With all this said, survivors should begin to utilize the many solid perks at their disposal.

    How are pharmacy, leader, or saboteur good? Seems to me like you havent tried them at all and thought they sounded good on paper. Those perks are not good at all in actual gameplay. Leader doesn't even apply to gens so exactly how is is a second pt? Saboteur is only worth in a swf with breakout, and pharmacy is a one time use perk that doesn't even give anything good. Please actually use the perks that you think sound good on paper.

  • @hillbillyclaudmain69 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/174655/its-not-that-hard-to-make-original-builds

    How are pharmacy, leader, or saboteur good? Seems to me like you havent tried them at all and thought they sounded good on paper. Those perks are not good at all in actual gameplay. Leader doesn't even apply to gens so exactly how is is a second pt? Saboteur is only worth in a swf with breakout, and pharmacy is a one time use perk that doesn't even give anything good. Please actually use the perks that you think sound good on paper.

    Pharmacy is good in specific builds, and leader applies to everything that isnt gen, while prove thyself is gens, doing things good id fast, I already said saboteur is situational for myself

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1476711#Comment_1476711

    I run leader regularly and it’s extraordinarily useful. Probably one of my most used perks.

    • I can be unhooked faster.
    • I can be healed faster
    • any teammate assisting with healing either me or someone else leads to insanely fast healing without any other stacking (although I will stack other healing buffs for even faster healing)
    • simply running past anyone at a totem, chest, going for an unhook, sabotage, near a gate switch means I’m instantly giving them a speed boost.

    Leader allows me to passively be an asset to the team while still actually engaging in actual objectives, while also still looking out for myself by ensuring I can be unhooked and healed faster.

    That's fair, but the other two...not useful at all.

  • @JesterClown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1475223#Comment_1475223

    I can see why people dont like a few of these things such as saboteur, distortion and maybe soul guard.

    Soul Guards going to become meta. Imagine 4 survivors running on coms. 2 running bt, 4 with soul guard and 2 for the people, 2 running unbreakable, 4 running decisive strike. You could also switch out 1 unbreakable for OoO. This team would be a serious pain in tge ass

  • Original- not difficult to come up with

    Effective- not so much

    There are many underrated perks that can be fun and useful to use. They are just over shadowed by DS, Adren, BT, Unbreakable because 2nd chance perks are so powerful. To mess around I like running spinechill with q&q+head on and urban evs. It's actually surprising how many red killers I mess with using q&q. It's like the killer is saying "I didn't hear him vault that window so he must have doubled back.......where the hell did he go? Did he slow vault that window? Unless he's using q&q but nobody uses that at this rank"

    I tend to use pharmacy to farm green medkits so I don't have to bring IS.

    Sometime's I like having alert for more knowledge on where the killer is. I'll bring autodidact to heal people quickly. When I SWF we have one person who is a pretty good looper but he has a terrible habit of running to us on a gen and the killer ends up breaking chase to come after us. For that reason I sometimes run bond so I can see him coming and I can get the hell out.

  • It's not hard to make original builds but it is hard to make original builds that are on par with the meta builds.

    Your right that Alert can be useful in a match but will it be as useful as Dead Hard?

  • Meta perks primary purpose is to counter the killers strongest tactics. The tactics that win games actually.

    tunneled? DS

    slugged? Unbreakable

    camped? Borrowed Time

    good loop play (or you messed up) Dead Hard

    bonus: Stealth killer? Spine chill


    Thats why they’re meta, that’s why they work.

  • As a side note to inner strength this perk will never become common at red ranks. Ironically the more meta the perk gets the weaker it becomes (one person running IS gets up to five uses, all 4 survivors running IS get up to two uses on a single person).

    I love the perk and hopefully people keep sleeping on it so I can keep it all to myself >:D

  • @JesterClown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1474023#Comment_1474023

    Plague is literally the least played killer in the game and also yes, perks shouldnt just give immense value every game.

    Plague isn’t the least played, I see way less clowns, trappers, pigs, and have never seen a demo dog outside of his release.

  • the reason that ppl run the "meta" is only for themselves...

    All of the strong perks are a bit selfish (or is it just me)

    So while it isn't hard to come up with a build... but I imagine there're players who would flame a teammate for not running the "meta"

  • @JesterClown said:

    So I was looking in custom games as survivor just to read over survivor perks. I was looking at many of these perks like distortion, alert and especially detectives hunch and I was just wondering about why many perk builds that you see in red ranks are so unoriginal and not varied. There seem to be many potentially strong perks and builds that you can run for survivor. When I saw detectives hunch I just thought about how insane that perk is. More perks that I would consider to be strong are

    Alert: Easy information with little commitment on your end and no real requirements, likely will go off at least three times, more if the killer is running pop

    Autodidact: After 3 heals you get to heal extremely fast, with this you no longer have to worry about using medkits to heal fast

    Botany: Just a strong healing perk, straightforward.

    Dance with me: Paired with life and quick and quiet it can

    Dark sense: Similar to alert, little commitment with good information

    Detective hunch: This perk is literally crazy, you get so much info

    Distortion: Its slightly niche, its kind of countered by bbq so I can understand why its not run often

    For the people: An instaheal

    Inner strength: We already know about this perk but in my opinion its still underused.

    Leader: Basically a second prove thyself

    Pharmacy: A good perk in healing builds

    Saboteur: You can sabo hooks without a toolbox

    Well make it: You can get great healing for 90 seconds, even letting you heal on hook.

    Soul guard: This perk is definitely underutilized, it has a purpose as an anti hex perk, which I would say is good due to ruin being slapped onto many killer builds when theres nothing better to run.

    Theres likely more that I have not mentioned, those are just the ones that caught my eye, but you get a general idea that there are many strong survivor perks. The only viable survivor perks aren't just the exhaustion perks and ds, through my searching I have found 13 perks that I would consider to be a mix of solid and strong. With this in mind, I genuinely disagree with any survivor who believes that survivors options are very limited or that survivors have very weak perks, which are both untrue statements. There is so much room for creativity in builds for survivor, yet a very common complaint in red ranks is that there is no build diversity. This is not due to the fact that survivors perks are weak at all, it is completely the fault of uncreative survivors. There is so much room for originality yet it feels like there are so many builds that use the same 6 perks.

    Before anyone mentions how killers are the same way and run all the same perks, they really dont. Killers often try to find new perks builds with niche perks, as we see with killers trying to tech in forced penance into legion or oni builds. Killers will likely begin to utilize franklins demise and lightborn with those buffs. There are many examples of killers trying perks that arent just the usual stuff like save the best for last, BBQ, and pop. With all this said, survivors should begin to utilize the many solid perks at their disposal.

    Because any game that has a competitive environment will eventually earn staple meta things that are normally required to be successful. TCG, Board Games, Video Games, ETC.

    Magic the Gathering is a huge example of this. It's been around for so long and majority of decks that are top tier all have similar cards or share cards because those cards give an advantage over other ones.

    So when you ask people why they Run X perk that's over Y perk, but it's not meta. It's simply because it gives a stronger advantage over another perk.

  • @TheFrog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1475183#Comment_1475183

    Plague isn’t the least played, I see way less clowns, trappers, pigs, and have never seen a demo dog outside of his release.

    At the very least, when kill rates were revealed, plague had the lowest kill rate, though people also really dont play demo, but I do see alot of people who play clown, pig and trapper because of the clown fandom that surrounds him, people play trapper because otz and ill give you that pig is uncommon but thats because shes super boring.

  • I would also add tenacity and diversion. Tenacity is super underrated, and having the ability to position yourself while slugged is amazing. Diversion also allows you to get heals or savesthat you wouldn't usually be able to get.

  • Well some perks are stronger than others, so that is why many will always use DS, BT, Bond etc.

    But everyone can play around with diffrent builds for fun, and sometimes they can work better than any meta build it depends on how the game goes. Here is a fun build I used recently:

    Sprint Burst, Fixated, Urban evasion, Tenacity (Run fast, walk fast, crouch fast, crawl fast) 😀