Toxicity Justified?

Just wanna know if people hear this story would they say that the toxicity was justified or unjustified against me

Was in a match earlier today against billy (I'm jake). I'm somewhat of a new player, just got the game about 2 weeks ago, a little less. Anyway, one survivors dead, the other 2 are taking a beating, he hangs one down in the basement and starts to camp. I manage to scrape by right behind him and crawl down, but he's not leaving, he runs away a bit and then back and runs away and repeats it about 3 times.

I decide that if he's going to wander away a little, his only indication that I'm down here is unhooking my friend, so I figure why not open the chest in the corner, maybe get a flashlight or medkit (anything useful) - he's not going to know I'm down here because I'll let her hang just a few seconds more (she's at about 60%), then with an item in hand, I unhook her, we book it, I heal her up/flashlight billy and BAM - we've escape the basement. In my mind, it was a smart, risky play.

So i approach the chest, I start to open it, I hear him coming, I hide, he comes down, looks around and finds me, slashes me and hangs me up.

This is where the game TOOK A TURN. The other survivor comes down, unhooks her friend, both of them AND the killer camp me, they unhook me, hit me, hang me, unhook me, drop me, let me crawl, heal me, hit me, carry me around, drop me, heal me, hit me, teabag, etc for about 16-25 minutes. It was so long that I had time to open cookies and drink half a bottle of soda. He lets them get all gens, they have a thing letting me crawl around to try to escape the door, then picking me up again (i'm having fun at this point just seeing how far they will go to troll).

Finally match is over and they all type in "poor jake lol" and laugh about it and then say, "next time unhook me instead of going for a chest"

Now, obviously the chest idea didn't work out, but considering the camping situation we were in and the idea I had, I can't quite say that I regret my idea. It didn't work, but every play in this game is a risk. And if it was a bad choice, I already found that out when he caught me - they could also tell me after the match "listen, next time its more efficient if you do this instead." Do you guys feel I deserved it for my choice? What would have been the best play?

Comments

  • Playing as survivor mean you are going against the killer and your teammates.Just know people will do things in this game just to annoyed you. I would have got them down then get the chest from the basement. You do whatever you want. Just know people tend to dislike you for it regardless of who ever you play as. If a person is hooked it usually the other choice to help them out. Just play the game and have fun

  • Welcome to swf.

  • Pretty sure you could report them all if you have video evidence. Especially if the killer let everyone else escape and you die (you didn't say whether you lived or died) as that could be considered working with the killer. Also what happened to the fourth survivor?

    To answer your actual question though, no I wouldn't say it was justified. You made a play that turned out to be the wrong one, that doesn't justify the killer AND the other survivors acting the way they did. They were total dicks, and I'd report all of them.

    Either way they held the game hostage for you (25 minutes, 25 MINUTES), and that's really messed up. I'm curious, did you happen to check if the killer and the other survivors have each other on their friends list? That maybe it was all intentional bait to attempt to grief/troll?

    Idk that whole situation was messed up, and you have a far better temper than me, I woulda lost my #########.

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    Pretty sure you could report them all if you have video evidence. Especially if the killer let everyone else escape and you die (you didn't say whether you lived or died) as that could be considered working with the killer. Also what happened to the fourth survivor?

    To answer your actual question though, no I wouldn't say it was justified. You made a play that turned out to be the wrong one, that doesn't justify the killer AND the other survivors acting the way they did. They were total dicks, and I'd report all of them.

    Either way they held the game hostage for you (25 minutes, 25 MINUTES), and that's really messed up. I'm curious, did you happen to check if the killer and the other survivors have each other on their friends list? That maybe it was all intentional bait to attempt to grief/troll?

    Idk that whole situation was messed up, and you have a far better temper than me, I woulda lost my #########.

    If they were being slugged it not considered a game being hostage. Only thing that considered is being an ass to another person. I would have just dc from that game and went on to watch tv.

  • Just a FYI with your story, the chest makes a LOT more noise than survivors think. A killer in the shack above will hear you going through the chest. So what they probably saw was you purposefully getting the killers attention while leaving your fellow survivors high and dry.

  • If you don't me asking what do you play on???

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    Pretty sure you could report them all if you have video evidence. Especially if the killer let everyone else escape and you die (you didn't say whether you lived or died) as that could be considered working with the killer. Also what happened to the fourth survivor?

    To answer your actual question though, no I wouldn't say it was justified. You made a play that turned out to be the wrong one, that doesn't justify the killer AND the other survivors acting the way they did. They were total dicks, and I'd report all of them.

    Either way they held the game hostage for you (25 minutes, 25 MINUTES), and that's really messed up. I'm curious, did you happen to check if the killer and the other survivors have each other on their friends list? That maybe it was all intentional bait to attempt to grief/troll?

    Idk that whole situation was messed up, and you have a far better temper than me, I woulda lost my #########.

    I do have nvidia instant replay so I recorded the last 5 minutes, but the whole scenario was so long that I only captured the end exit-door part. I did think of reporting for unsportsmanlike behavior, but I had already left the match and I think you can only report in the end-game screen? I'm not sure. But ya the 5m recording doesn't capture the whole thing just the final part.

  • @katoptris said:

    If you don't me asking what do you play on???

    Just PC, i downloaded from steam for the sale a couple weeks ago

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    Just a FYI with your story, the chest makes a LOT more noise than survivors think. A killer in the shack above will hear you going through the chest. So what they probably saw was you purposefully getting the killers attention while leaving your fellow survivors high and dry.

    Yea, I know that it certainly hit that note with them lol! I don't know how much noise the chest makes since I'm still kinda new, but I thought - he's far enough that I'm not in his terror radius, he won't hear the chest and he only has the hook aura to know if I'm here, so it felt like it was a good idea, i realize now it was baaad

  • Toxicity in any form is never justified. Report them if you can.

  • Toxicity is justified because it's defined differently by everybody. What you find toxic I may find ######### hilarious, for example.

  • Idk, survivors will just sort of Be Like That sometimes.

    I played against a Pigface n finished three gens, got off multiple unhooks, healed teammates, etc, and still when I got downed at the gate my teammates tbagged me and called me names in endgame chat even though I had more points than them after being sacrificed than they got even after surviving.

    Sometimes it helps to understand that other survivors can so far up their own asses they literally cannot comprehend what another person is doing in the game even if it's their best.

    Untitled Image


  • @MidniteWolfy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1454530#Comment_1454530

    Yea, I know that it certainly hit that note with them lol! I don't know how much noise the chest makes since I'm still kinda new, but I thought - he's far enough that I'm not in his terror radius, he won't hear the chest and he only has the hook aura to know if I'm here, so it felt like it was a good idea, i realize now it was baaad

    If the killer is above you in the shack they can hear the chest. I literally heard the chest noise when i walk into the shack and went to grab that person.

  • @MidniteWolfy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1454524#Comment_1454524

    I do have nvidia instant replay so I recorded the last 5 minutes, but the whole scenario was so long that I only captured the end exit-door part. I did think of reporting for unsportsmanlike behavior, but I had already left the match and I think you can only report in the end-game screen? I'm not sure. But ya the 5m recording doesn't capture the whole thing just the final part.

    There's a way tom report via the official dbd website. https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us

    Here I believe.

  • @MidniteWolfy said:

    Just wanna know if people hear this story would they say that the toxicity was justified or unjustified against me

    Was in a match earlier today against billy (I'm jake). I'm somewhat of a new player, just got the game about 2 weeks ago, a little less. Anyway, one survivors dead, the other 2 are taking a beating, he hangs one down in the basement and starts to camp. I manage to scrape by right behind him and crawl down, but he's not leaving, he runs away a bit and then back and runs away and repeats it about 3 times.

    I decide that if he's going to wander away a little, his only indication that I'm down here is unhooking my friend, so I figure why not open the chest in the corner, maybe get a flashlight or medkit (anything useful) - he's not going to know I'm down here because I'll let her hang just a few seconds more (she's at about 60%), then with an item in hand, I unhook her, we book it, I heal her up/flashlight billy and BAM - we've escape the basement. In my mind, it was a smart, risky play.

    So i approach the chest, I start to open it, I hear him coming, I hide, he comes down, looks around and finds me, slashes me and hangs me up.

    This is where the game TOOK A TURN. The other survivor comes down, unhooks her friend, both of them AND the killer camp me, they unhook me, hit me, hang me, unhook me, drop me, let me crawl, heal me, hit me, carry me around, drop me, heal me, hit me, teabag, etc for about 16-25 minutes. It was so long that I had time to open cookies and drink half a bottle of soda. He lets them get all gens, they have a thing letting me crawl around to try to escape the door, then picking me up again (i'm having fun at this point just seeing how far they will go to troll).

    Finally match is over and they all type in "poor jake lol" and laugh about it and then say, "next time unhook me instead of going for a chest"

    Now, obviously the chest idea didn't work out, but considering the camping situation we were in and the idea I had, I can't quite say that I regret my idea. It didn't work, but every play in this game is a risk. And if it was a bad choice, I already found that out when he caught me - they could also tell me after the match "listen, next time its more efficient if you do this instead." Do you guys feel I deserved it for my choice? What would have been the best play?

    It was a fine idea and it could have worked out well if you hadn't had toxic teammates that obviously knew the killer too. My biggest issue is that.

    You were in the right - and they are garbage. I have no love for those kinds of players at all. They make things miserable for everyone. Their teammates and the killers.

    @katoptris said it well. When you play as a survivor you are playing against teammates - and the killer.


    I've gotten to the point in some games that if I even sense that's how it's going to play out. I play very differently and it's often a miserable game.

    If I sense it in a lobby (sometimes you can) I leave.

    I'm as cautious with my teammates as I am the killer. There was a week straight where anytime a teammate came near me - I booked it away from them. Try to heal me - no thank you. Follow me - I go the other way. (There are others things I do as well.)

    I joined the forum a few days ago after reading for awhile. Had the forum gave me the same disgust as I have with that behavior I'd have given the game away or just deleted it. Thankfully - this place is nice and when I have a bad game - I read something in here that reminds me I'm not the only one who feels a certain way.

    You did right - they were wrong. Full stop. No excuse for them. They are the worst part of this game imho. I will take a tunneler / camper any day over that. A tunneler and camper reminds me I need to improve. Toxic teammates. As far as I am concerned they are right-up their with cheaters. I love seeming killers hand them their butts. It brings me great, great joy. :-)

    I hope when you see a killer be exceptionally brutal with them - that you gain the same joy I do when I see it.

    Okay I can be a little vengeful like that. ;-) Welcome to my dark side.

    :-D

  • @katoptris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1454524#Comment_1454524

    If they were being slugged it not considered a game being hostage. Only thing that considered is being an ass to another person. I would have just dc from that game and went on to watch tv.

    His teammates kept healing him while he was being slugged which halts the bleedout bar. They couldve kept him in the game while doing that indefinitely.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1454529#Comment_1454529

    His teammates kept healing him while he was being slugged which halts the bleedout bar. They couldve kept him in the game while doing that indefinitely.

    Yeah he gonna be there for awhile then.

  • Anytime someone is put into a situation where the only way they can leave the game is via DC...its a hostage situation. It would ALSO be considered working with the killer. Farming in general (allowing someone to pallet stun you so they get BPs before going ahead and getting that 4k) is fine, but when its at the expense of another player, then it falls under griefing.

    If you look under the griefing section of this... you'll see what I'm talking about.

    @not_Queen said:

    Please remember that Dead by Daylight’s end user license agreement which can be found on https://deadbydaylight.com/en/eula (the “EULA”) governs your participation and use of the game and its associated upgrades, patches, and updates and related services. In case of conflict between the EULA and this page, the EULA will prevail.

    Hello, good people of the fog!

    We now have a team Associate Community Managers, as well as an updated in-game report system.
    With your help, we will be able to find the players who are creating a bad game experience and punish them appropriately, making the game a better place.

    HOW TO REPORT A PLAYER

    You may only report things that happen directly to you or in a game that you were in.
    Reporting for other people is not allowed and these reports will be discarded.
    (ie. Reporting someone on behalf of a friend, streamer, or other)

    Fill the In-game report

    An In-game report MUST be made. This is not optional, and is a must to help us identify the person in your game as well as find any other evidence we need.

    Customer Support ticket?

    • Video evidence is required or heavily suggested for some offenses, please refer to the lists below.
    • Whilst you can report offenses directly to our support, please only do so for serious offenses like cheating, hacking, DOX/death threats.

    Discarded reports reasons

    THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

    • Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping

    NOTE:
    We do not control anything that happens outside of Dead by Daylight.
    This includes private Steam messages/groups/names, PS4/XBOX messages, Discord messages, Twitch/social media interactions, etc. Anything that occurs on these platforms must be reported to the respective authorities.

    PERMANENT BANS

    List of bannable offenses

    Hacking in-game exclusives and / or legacy skins

    The acquiring of any in-game skin through anything other than official channels (ie. codes, giveaways, etc.)
    The possession of legacy skins without earning them. The cutoff to earn legacy skins happened on November 24, 2016. If a player has obtained legacy skins after this date, then it is considered cheating.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Cheated progress / modifying your save file

    We need the profile of the person you are reporting. Reportable via support team.
    Using any 3rd party software or other method to cheat your save file or any measure of progress contained within your save file. This includes using someone else’s save file.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Threats

    Excessive and serious threats against someone, including DOX threats, life threats, disclosing private information, etc.
    You can fill a support ticket to provide more information, Screenshots and video are optional, but highly recommended.
    Reminder: everything that happens out of the game should be reported to the appropriate platform. (ie: Twitch, Discord, Steam, Sony, Microsoft)
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Other Hacks

    In-game report under Unsportsmanlike is MANDATORY
    Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game, except if they have been whitelisted by us. We are not banning for the use of communication apps.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    TEMPORARY BAN

    List of bannable offenses

    24h -> 48h -> 1w -> Permanent

    This is a sliding scale and determined on a case-by-case basis. If an offense is considered to be particularly egregious, the duration of the ban may skip one or more steps in this process.

    Any previous permanent bans on your record will result in all future offenses being a permanent ban.

    Harassment: Communications Abuse

    • Insults, intimidation, hateful speech, repeated harassment
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Griefing: Intentional Gameplay Abuse

    • Working with the opposite team to gain an advantage or grief teammates
    • Targeting specific users repeatedly in order to ruin their game experience
    • Holding the game hostage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Exploits: Abusing bugs or errors in design to gain a competitive advantage

    • Advertising exploits
    • Exploit bugs, errors in design, or undocumented features to gain access to what otherwise would not be available or to obtain a competitive advantage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Specific exploits that we will ban for until they are resolved:

    • Bloodweb Progress/Prestige Exploit
    • 2+ Killer Exploits

    Unsportsmanlike Conduct

    • Botting
    • Lag switching
    • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
      For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    About Disconnects bans - DO NOT REPORT

    Disconnects are handled by the disconnection penalty system. No further action will be taken on reports.

    BAN APPEALS

    Cannot be appealed

    • Temporary bans
    • Social Media bans/blocks (Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
    • Unofficial Fan sites / Fan groups

    Forum bans: APPEALS

    Please contact one of our Community Coordinators. Their contact info can be found here. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/685031/#Comment_685031

    Permanent bans : APPEALS

    Send a Ticket to support.deadbydaylight.com
    If the ban is an automated EAC ban, please contact EAC directly. https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/contact/appeal/

    Console bans

    The rules are the same as the PC bans

    Crossplatform ban evasion

    Players who have violated our rules multiple times leading to permanent bans could get their access revoked on any accounts they make if the player is seen committing bannable offenses after the very first permanent ban. The structure and severity of these bans are followed throughout any platform.

    Abuse of Support Services

    This includes making false support tickets and lying to support agents. Our agents are always here to help the community. However, those making false tickets just to get a step ahead of everyone else and take advantage hinders our ability to better help everyone. Penalties include suspension of your support services, up to a permanent ban of your in-game account.

    This is a case where OP could rightfully report the survivors AND the killer involved.

  • @MidniteWolfy said:

    Just wanna know if people hear this story would they say that the toxicity was justified or unjustified against me

    Was in a match earlier today against billy (I'm jake). I'm somewhat of a new player, just got the game about 2 weeks ago, a little less. Anyway, one survivors dead, the other 2 are taking a beating, he hangs one down in the basement and starts to camp. I manage to scrape by right behind him and crawl down, but he's not leaving, he runs away a bit and then back and runs away and repeats it about 3 times.

    I decide that if he's going to wander away a little, his only indication that I'm down here is unhooking my friend, so I figure why not open the chest in the corner, maybe get a flashlight or medkit (anything useful) - he's not going to know I'm down here because I'll let her hang just a few seconds more (she's at about 60%), then with an item in hand, I unhook her, we book it, I heal her up/flashlight billy and BAM - we've escape the basement. In my mind, it was a smart, risky play.

    So i approach the chest, I start to open it, I hear him coming, I hide, he comes down, looks around and finds me, slashes me and hangs me up.

    This is where the game TOOK A TURN. The other survivor comes down, unhooks her friend, both of them AND the killer camp me, they unhook me, hit me, hang me, unhook me, drop me, let me crawl, heal me, hit me, carry me around, drop me, heal me, hit me, teabag, etc for about 16-25 minutes. It was so long that I had time to open cookies and drink half a bottle of soda. He lets them get all gens, they have a thing letting me crawl around to try to escape the door, then picking me up again (i'm having fun at this point just seeing how far they will go to troll).

    Finally match is over and they all type in "poor jake lol" and laugh about it and then say, "next time unhook me instead of going for a chest"

    Now, obviously the chest idea didn't work out, but considering the camping situation we were in and the idea I had, I can't quite say that I regret my idea. It didn't work, but every play in this game is a risk. And if it was a bad choice, I already found that out when he caught me - they could also tell me after the match "listen, next time its more efficient if you do this instead." Do you guys feel I deserved it for my choice? What would have been the best play?

    Toxicity = fun, if you wanna play like a robot without showing up emotions, go play Civ 6 or smth, I've heard has over 9 IGN score

  • @MidniteWolfy said:

    Just wanna know if people hear this story would they say that the toxicity was justified or unjustified against me

    Was in a match earlier today against billy (I'm jake). I'm somewhat of a new player, just got the game about 2 weeks ago, a little less. Anyway, one survivors dead, the other 2 are taking a beating, he hangs one down in the basement and starts to camp. I manage to scrape by right behind him and crawl down, but he's not leaving, he runs away a bit and then back and runs away and repeats it about 3 times.

    I decide that if he's going to wander away a little, his only indication that I'm down here is unhooking my friend, so I figure why not open the chest in the corner, maybe get a flashlight or medkit (anything useful) - he's not going to know I'm down here because I'll let her hang just a few seconds more (she's at about 60%), then with an item in hand, I unhook her, we book it, I heal her up/flashlight billy and BAM - we've escape the basement. In my mind, it was a smart, risky play.

    So i approach the chest, I start to open it, I hear him coming, I hide, he comes down, looks around and finds me, slashes me and hangs me up.

    This is where the game TOOK A TURN. The other survivor comes down, unhooks her friend, both of them AND the killer camp me, they unhook me, hit me, hang me, unhook me, drop me, let me crawl, heal me, hit me, carry me around, drop me, heal me, hit me, teabag, etc for about 16-25 minutes. It was so long that I had time to open cookies and drink half a bottle of soda. He lets them get all gens, they have a thing letting me crawl around to try to escape the door, then picking me up again (i'm having fun at this point just seeing how far they will go to troll).

    Finally match is over and they all type in "poor jake lol" and laugh about it and then say, "next time unhook me instead of going for a chest"

    Now, obviously the chest idea didn't work out, but considering the camping situation we were in and the idea I had, I can't quite say that I regret my idea. It didn't work, but every play in this game is a risk. And if it was a bad choice, I already found that out when he caught me - they could also tell me after the match "listen, next time its more efficient if you do this instead." Do you guys feel I deserved it for my choice? What would have been the best play?

    Not even going to read this post and the reason is simple; Toxicity is NEVER justified.

    I don't care if the other person held you hostage in a corner until you were forced to quit the game, if people are toxic to another it just repeats the cycle and we end up all hating each other.