Could a Code of Conduct emblem discourage bad sportsmanship?

Some fps games put cheaters in their own servers why can't DBD have a matchmaking system that puts people of similar Karma together? Cross play is in the works so the floodgates will open with more players allowing shorter lobby times. However, a few of them won't stick with the game if they experience toxic behavior that isn't kept in check. Here's how I would implement it.

1 new Emblem for Survivors and Killers called Code of Conduct. DBD community will lovingly refer to it as CoC. Inner child rejoice! CoC keeps track of bad sportsmanlike/ toxic behavior, highlights when it occurs midgame, and displays penalty points. The match results screen starts the CoC at Iridescent quality and downgrades it to zero quality. When it hits zero quality the player receives a red X (Strike) that can be seen by others on the match results screen. After the third red X (XXX), that player has struck out and is now only allowed to play with others who bear the XXX mark. On the 13th of each month one X is removed. With 2 XX, the player can resume play with non 3 XXX players. It will take 3 months to remove all 3 XXX.

Just because you have a driver's license and own a car doesn't mean you can ignore traffic laws by driving on the sidewalk. There will be consequences. I believe this Code of Conduct emblem system will group bad conduct players together away from those who display good sportsmanship. This system will also allow redemption for those who work for it.

In closing, I just feel if there's a little accountability than it will help the longevity of the game and keep new players coming. Notice I didn't list any toxic or bad sportsmanship like behaviors. That's because it differs for each person and I hope the community can put their differences aside and come together on a fair list for the good of the game they both love. Because in the end if enough players stop playing then the game will truly be Dead by Daylight.


P.S. I reworked this idea multiple times trying to get something both doable and easy to understand with a light hearted tone. Admit to a love/ hate for this game. Tried to get a friend to play this game with me but they gave up in frustration. Personally, had to take many breaks from the game. But I love the concept and I watch streamers, read up a lot, and am trying to improve. This game is a celebration of horror for me! The Silent Hill DLC brought me back into the game because it's my favorite horror series of all time! Even turned off my message notifications because I didn't want strangers sending me hateful messages because I did poorly so I could focus on getting better. The game means a lot to me and hopefully I won't receive an influx of messages saying I'm garbage and to just quit. I'm a firm believer in offering solutions instead of just criticizing something even if the solution isn't the best.

Comments

  • How would a system automatically detect "toxicity" though? If I'm playing GF and decide to have a pointless but friendly teabag contest with a survivor midway through the match would we both get a red X?

  • @Aneurysm said:

    How would a system automatically detect "toxicity" though? If I'm playing GF and decide to have a pointless but friendly teabag contest with a survivor midway through the match would we both get a red X?

    Probaly if you report them after the match, but then a lot of people will get negative effects of this systems when the other sides loses. Because the sore loser will report everyone with bad sportmanship when this is not the case

  • I could only see this working if it’s based off undeniable toxicity, like bodyblocking another survivor in a corner for minutes at a time. Stuff like teabagging or clicking your flashlight can be done to other survivors to communicate with them, or dodging Huntress hatchets as an example. Hitting a survivor on the hook could be auto-aim. Nodding is hilarious. Mori spam no longer exists, slugging is part of the game.

    So you have to consider, what would breach the “code of conduct” and how would you be sure it was done deliberately to be toxic? Toxicity is subjective.

  • The nature of the game makes defining midmatch toxicity almost impossible.

    A man is unhooked. He's downed within 3 seconds and uses his DS. 40 seconds later he is downed and hooked again. Toxic tunneling? No, he jumped in a locker in my face with his unhooker ghosting, so I ate his DS and applied Nemesis. Nemesis'd, he chose to work a vital gen with bad pallets and worse sightline, and unsurprisingly this was a gen I patrolled and he got caught with his pants down.

    Show me a code of conduct that can avoid false positives like that, and I'll be amazed.

  • Define "bad sportsmanship".

  • @bingbongboi90 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1375265#Comment_1375265

    Probaly if you report them after the match, but then a lot of people will get negative effects of this systems when the other sides loses. Because the sore loser will report everyone with bad sportmanship when this is not the case

    Yeah that'd probably be even worse. Most of the times I've been called toxic as a survivor involve lasting too long in a chase

  • Thank you for the constructive feedback everyone. Back to the drawing board I guess. See you in the fog. [sirens swell].

  • Ok now how do you suggest to implement this system? Is tunneling and camping unsportsmanlike to you? The devs support it as a strategy.

    What about survivors? They click the flashlight a couple times and get an x? Teabag at a pallet? This idea just wouldn’t be practical.

    this can’t work when the devs and players don’t even agree on what should and shouldn’t be allowed.