Representation

I get why they want to give characters orientations but wouldn't it be better to leave it open so characters can be anything the player wants them to be?

Comments

  • Gee I'm so glad we needed a fourth thread on this topic.

    I like this decision provided they do it correctly. Being able to imagine a character as gay (David may have had a female ex but he will always be a gay icon in my heart) and having a character canonically confirmed as LGBTQ+ is completely different. One is based on your own personal opinions and experiences, one is definitive canon.

    Provided new characters are created, and they don't suddenly change people's backstories (or, if they subtly reference it like "Ace's boyfriend always told him to stop gambling" instead of "Ace was gay- he knew that" and their lore is nothing but "gay gay gay") then I have absolutely no issue with it. If they do it wrong, well- no different to a lot of other companies (hey Marvel how you doing?).

  • Wouldn't it be better to just join one of the other 12 conversations currently happening regarding this topic in the forums right now?

  • no, in 2020 you either openly declare you support a community, or you automatically became a bad person, they had to do it.

  • @YaiPa said:

    no, in 2020 you either openly declare you support a community, or you automatically became a bad person, they had to do it.

    That may be true for fringe members of some communities, but not the majority. However, some communities are a bit tired of the implicit acceptance of the way they're treated by people who won't say anything. What good is an ally who will never actually aid you?

  • Que the people coming in and subtextually calling you a bigot for questioning the devs motivation.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    Que the people coming in and subtextually calling you a bigot for questioning the devs motivation.

    I'm sorry that you feel people were calling you a bigot. I can assure you nobody was doing that.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347290#Comment_1347290

    I'm sorry that you feel people were calling you a bigot. I can assure you nobody was doing that.

    I never said I felt that at all. I haven't been called any names here implicitly or explicitly. Some other posters in other threads though I feel have been basically accused of not wanting gay people in the game when they are simply questioning the method of the addition.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347277#Comment_1347277

    That may be true for fringe members of some communities, but not the majority. However, some communities are a bit tired of the implicit acceptance of the way they're treated by people who won't say anything. What good is an ally who will never actually aid you?

    All these explicit acceptances are basically saying "look, these kind of people are different from us because X, but we should learn to treat them rightfully", which is already bad, because, as I emphasized, it instantly creates a barrier "us from them". If it is implicitly accepted, where not every major company has to say 24h that it doesn't condone discrimination (like it's ######### normal in 21st century), every minority would be accepted easier, because it would slowly become the normality (like it should be).

  • @YaiPa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347287#Comment_1347287

    All these explicit acceptances are basically saying "look, these kind of people are different from us because X, but we should learn to treat them rightfully", which is already bad, because, as I emphasized, it instantly creates a barrier "us from them". If it is implicitly accepted, where not every major company has to say 24h that it doesn't condone discrimination (like it's ######### normal in 21st century), every minority would be accepted easier, because it would slowly become the normality (like it should be).

    Given that there are gay torture camps still active to this day, I welcome the explicit acceptance and assistance some people and companies provide, as opposed to passive acknowledgement without any assistance. If that creates a divide between normal people and bigots, so be it.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347364#Comment_1347364

    Given that there are gay torture camps still active to this day, I welcome the explicit acceptance and assistance some people and companies provide, as opposed to passive acknowledgement without any assistance. If that creates a divide between normal people and bigots, so be it.

    Yeah, the extremists in countries that have gay torture camps are going to change their minds because dbd introduced a homosexual character...

    I think most people assume bhvr and other companies in the West are for equality. Spelling it out on Twitter doesn't change anything, and when done improperly leads to chaos like the 4+ threads going on

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Gee I'm so glad we needed a fourth thread on this topic.

    I like this decision provided they do it correctly. Being able to imagine a character as gay (David may have had a female ex but he will always be a gay icon in my heart) and having a character canonically confirmed as LGBTQ+ is completely different. One is based on your own personal opinions and experiences, one is definitive canon.

    Provided new characters are created, and they don't suddenly change people's backstories (or, if they subtly reference it like "Ace's boyfriend always told him to stop gambling" instead of "Ace was gay- he knew that" and their lore is nothing but "gay gay gay") then I have absolutely no issue with it. If they do it wrong, well- no different to a lot of other companies (hey Marvel how you doing?).

    Im just sayin it would be more inclusive if they let players chose and to be honest it seems rather forced.

    It would have been better if they did pride charms I know a lot of people want something like that or maybe LGBTQ pride cosmetics