One big problem with reporting
So, I've had a game with an extreme toxic sandbagger who literally sandbagged me to prevent me from doing my tome challenge. Pointing the killer to where I was, going for the "rescue" so that other people wouldnt come my way and tbagging in front of me untill I reach second stage, then unhooking me and trying to lead the killer to where I was again.
Now, what was the killers response to this? "nah, it was funny" "its just a game" "im not gonna report someone who helped me win"
The other survivors didnt care enough either because "it was just a game" either. Meaning that at most, only 1 person reported the person for doing something gamebreaking and literally breaking the gamerules just because I couldnt save him from second stage hook in time. His reason "you were looping the killer around me". I wasnt, he was literally in second stage before I got there(someone else ######### up and I had no clue no one was going for the save) and it only took me 5 seconds to leave the hook area so someone else could save him.
So what are the odds of those reports being ignored? How many survivors does 1 person need to screw over before he reaches enough reports to get a warning or a (temporary) ban? He just gets rewarded for his actions and has no reason to stop doing what he does whenever he pleases because the majority of players dont care enough. The only way it would be serious, is to record footage and send it over to the report form, but 99% of the time, I wouldnt have enough time to record it anyway, because by the time im in a position to start recording, the person already died or is about to die.
I'd understand that something like "unsportsmanlike behaviour" wouldnt get too much attention, if any at all, because different people think differently about unsportsmanlike behaviour. For example, I'd say camping me to death without me having done anything and no one even close to the hook is quite unsportsmanlike because they know they force me to depip, which is simply unsportsmanlike and I think most people would agree with that. I'd say going out of your way to find the person who got unhooked to tunnel them, even though someone healed him/her up and other people are injured, is quite unsportsmanlike. The only thing I hope that unsportsmanlike behaviour reports do is that there is going to be some form of algoritm that will try to avoid matching me with similar players. It doesnt, but I simply still hope it does.
But yet, here we have a serial sandbagger that, according to comments on his steamprofile, has been sandbagging and working with the killer for at least 6 months. I am assuming that all those people at least reported him. Yet here he still is, sandbagging his merry way.
Comments
reporting them will literally have zero consequences. the best thing you can do, if you are interested in revenge, is block them and when you find them again in your lobby you troll them and ruin their game.
also, dont try to figure out why people act like #########, because the answer will make you lose even more braincells. just block them and sooner or later you will get your revenge. to this day i have about 100 people in my blocklist, and i found them like 3-4 times. no need to say, that was super satisfying, especially when they were insulting me in the endgame chat
Well, the issue with that is that you breed toxicity and the other players in your match might do the same to you. There is already more than enough toxicity that I encounter on day-to-day gameplay, I dont want to have toxicity exactly directed at me because I wanted revenge.
if you want other players to ruin your games and have no consequence you are free to do so. i wont
Always report ######### like this. There's no downside to it. It's not like the mods are going to see if everyone else reported a player for the same thing and only take action then, that's not how it works.
EDIT: And never listen to anyone who tells you not to report "because it won't do anything". Those are the same people who'd tell you not to vote "because it won't matter". If neither thing mattered, people wouldn't be getting banned and policies wouldn't change.
Record it, send the video to bhvr in email. If its as bad as you say im sure therell be repurcussions
The chances of me encountering them again are too tiny, and the chances of other people thinking I'm the toxic one when I finally do encounter someone and reporting me for that are far to great.
And how will they know if you reported anyone? The chat doesn't display a message saying this person reported that person.
Like I said, by the time I am in a position to record footage without ######### my team over even further tends to be on the hook. Yes, I could have recorded the 10 seconds he was in front of me tbagging and letting me go into second stage, but I was chatting with my mate untill I heard footsteps and by the time I was back I already went into second stage and by the time I got unhooked the killer was coming and I had to run. And the time she was pointing to me for the killer was literally less than a second on my screen.
The issue is that not many instances can be captured in the first place unless you're 100% sure its gonna happen all game. I actually intend to avoid sandbaggers most of the game to get the most fun of the game and it tends to be difficult for someone who decided to sandbag on the spot to find me without aura readings.
I mean I get that but you cant expect bhvr to take your word for it. Not sure what platform your on but xbox has the record last 5 minutes option, you could get in a locker after youre off the hook and do it that way. Outside of that not sure what to say, its a ######### situation
exactly, and if I say in chat beforehand that I am gonna sandbag a player cus they sandbagged me earlier, they will just report me for that behaviour too
My biggest issue is BHVR makes it such a pain in the ass to report that most will not bother (if they even realize they have to use the report function in the game, gather all of the information a ticket requires you to gather, get video proof of what's going on, and then go to their website to register for an account to report someone).
I knew what you had to do to report someone and it took me a little over 20 God damn minutes to do everything needed to report someone and I don't even know if BHVR did anything about it.
It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of hoops you have to jump through to (properly) report someone.
There's no reason why the the in-game report function shouldn't be enough for BHVR to look into it and if it truly does nothing without you submitting video evidence, they should just remove it instead of letting people think in-game reporting does a thing.
True, but the only reason I report otherwise is simply unsportsmanlike behaviour, which, like I said before, is a very broad concept in the first place to a point where person A and person B can completely disagree. For example, I'd say when there are 2 dc's within the first minute and the killer rushes the kills is unsportsmanlike behaviour, because there is no way im gonna get a safety pip from that, yet the killer could do it to end the match quickly so we could have more fun in the next match. Both would claim the other person is being unsportsmanlike for what they do.
So I'd assume me having any different reason out of nowhere should have a small amount of weight in the first place. It's not like I'm reporting people left right and center whenever I was outmatched or anything. I'm literally just calling campers/tunnelers unsportsmanlike(unless the person being camped/tunneled clearly deserved it) and people who selfishly fix a gen before going for an unhook too. I mean, call it blowing off steam but essentially everyone who I report for being unsportsmanlike are simply people who were massive ######### and I dont expect them to be banned. Which I am pretty sure which the unsportsmanlike behaviour option simply is meant for. I cant give a thumbs down otherwise.
As long as you're not being toxic then don't worry about people thinking you're toxic.
I don't think it even matters how many reports somebody gets, as long as one goes through that can be looked at. This was a common misconception back from when I played League of Legends: people would ask others to report somebody (I admittedly had done this) and I ended up finding out that apparently you're not supposed to do that because only 1 report on an account is enough for them to punish it, and I guess they view asking people to report another person as "toxic." I'm not going to exactly defend that logic, but if the report systems are anything similar, I would imagine that the number of reports doesn't matter. Just that there is a report that goes in, and that it's valid.
So... don't say or do that.
Any reasonable reporting system should not be incumbent on the players to do all the heavy lifting. If I report someone, it should send a full chat log and whatever data it is that enables the community mods to reconstruct/view the match using whatever internal replay tools they're using.
Yeah...if I ever met that person again I'd make sure it was the worse game of his life and I would also tell him some of the things I'd love to see happen to him...probably starting with references to Covid 19.
Which it does, but some things can't be inferred by that kind of data alone, unless you're willing to pay a lot of money to have the servers be able to record every single trial from every single player's PoV and a bunch more salaries for those who have to watch those videos.
Since I'm guessing you're not, that's why the devs specify which things need video evidence.
Yeah, but lets be honest here. BeHaviour and saving gamedata for every report they are recieving? They dont even have stable dedicated servers yet.
They do save game data for every report they receive. If you don't even think the report system works, why are you so worried about being banned, anyway?
I've yet to see a game that has completely stable servers. DbD's are more than enough 99% of the time.
Well, I meant more like the game generating as it was played/aka saving footage. Knowing 1 player was using a pointing emote isnt exactly evidence that they are aiding the killer. Lots of games end up temporarily recording the game in case there was someone reported and deleting the footage if no one was. Which is, on Overwatch for example, why your highlights are saved for up to 24 hours. And why in league of legends you can pretty much download your own gameplay footage from weeks ago. I'm talking about that kind of game data.
As for 99% of the time. I'd say technically the truth, considering that even with the worst latency, the game works mostly fine. What I am more talking about is interactions between players and things that actually do alter the outcome of the game quite a bit. I've never had a killer miss because of latency, however, I have had many times that I've been hit because of latency. If I count up the games where latency gave the killer free hits when he really shouldnt have, I would've escaped at least 15% more often, would've lasted in chases at least 6 minutes longer on average(especially when I am matched against someone who is extremely bad at predicting where I go), would've been hooked 35% less and would have been able to stun a killer without recieving a hit 70% of the time that I did get hit. Ofcourse pallet hits are a thing, but 70% of the time, the killer isnt even close to the pallet. And if thats not the issue, I get vacuumed to the opposite side of the pallet for 1 second, for absolutely no reason, just so the killer can hit me. Or even worse, the killer being vacuumed to my side of the pallet even though he was on the opposite side. Saying 99% of the game is fine, when most of that 99% is environmental interactions rather than player interactions is like saying guns arent dangerous since 99% of guns are shot at targets. It's technically true, 99% of guns are not used for any violence other than target practice, but does that mean every person should be holding a gun?
Replay data doesn't have to be some giant WMV file of every match. I would imagine it would be a set of instructions that they could load to recreate a match in a replay viewer. This is what a normal game would do, and if you're putting that burden on the players for proof, your game is going to suffer for it.