Unpopular Opinion: Tunnelling

I know I'm gonna get flamed for posting this by a lot of people but so be it. I will just do my best to explain my point of view in a calm manor. So...



In my opinion, tunnelling is going for a survivor the entire time to get them out of the match or slug them even though there is other survivors present for you to go after. If a killer comes back to the hook and sees both survivors running away, but chose to go after the recently unhooked person, that is tunnelling. If a killer comes back to the hook, both survivors run in different directions and the killer happens to see only you which then leads to the survivor getting hooked again or slugged for DS then it is NOT tunnelling as the killer only saw the recently unhooked and had no other options. The killer should not let the only person they see go just because they were recently unhooked and ran in the wrong direction because that defeats the point of killer.


Part 2: Tunnelling is okay within reason. A killer's job is to kill you by any means similar to how a survivor's job is to escape by any means. If the killer sees and injured person and a healthy person, logically you should go for the injured as they are the easier prey and you can eliminate them faster. Tunnelling is okay if you need to get someone out of your game to snowball. Tunnelling is NOT okay when you are deliberately doing it to ruin someone's experience (and in most cases this leads to the person being camped or slugged until bleed out)

At the end of the day, people can tunnel if they want as they paid for the game and tunnelling is not breaking any REAL rules of the game. This is just my opinion on it. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Weederick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278819#Comment_1278819

    You can cancel their healing by running. Its been implemented extra for those situations. Usually its better to heal at a safe place. Healing under the hook is a death invite, unless you see the killer is chasing another survivor far away and unlikely to return. If you hear terrorradius while healing under the hook, you are already dead.

    Btw im a selfcare user too, no need to justify it. Selfcare + Botany is a super efficient combo. Its all about when to heal and priorities.

    I didn't know that you could cancel it in that way. And people tend to hate Self-Care. For a time one of my builds was Balanced Landing, Self-Care, Botany Knowledge and Decisive Strike so that I could run and heal back up after. It was pretty effectively actually.

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    I know I'm gonna get flamed for posting this by a lot of people but so be it. I will just do my best to explain my point of view in a calm manor. So...

    In my opinion, tunnelling is going for a survivor the entire time to get them out of the match or slug them even though there is other survivors present for you to go after. If a killer comes back to the hook and sees both survivors running away, but chose to go after the recently unhooked person, that is tunnelling. If a killer comes back to the hook, both survivors run in different directions and the killer happens to see only you which then leads to the survivor getting hooked again or slugged for DS then it is NOT tunnelling as the killer only saw the recently unhooked and had no other options. The killer should not let the only person they see go just because they were recently unhooked and ran in the wrong direction because that defeats the point of killer.

    Part 2: Tunnelling is okay within reason. A killer's job is to kill you by any means similar to how a survivor's job is to escape by any means. If the killer sees and injured person and a healthy person, logically you should go for the injured as they are the easier prey and you can eliminate them faster. Tunnelling is okay if you need to get someone out of your game to snowball. Tunnelling is NOT okay when you are deliberately doing it to ruin someone's experience (and in most cases this leads to the person being camped or slugged until bleed out)

    At the end of the day, people can tunnel if they want as they paid for the game and tunnelling is not breaking any REAL rules of the game. This is just my opinion on it. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

    Okay, but quite often these days anything the killer does ruins the "survivor experience". And almost no one has even bothered to wonder how they determine whether it's to ruin "their experience" on purpose or not. The very idea of the "killer" ruins the survivor experience, because no matter what actions killers take someone always finds a way to blame killers for it.

    I just had a game where another person unhooked me in front of the killer, they got downed and I made it to the top of the basement stairs before getting downed again. This player blamed the KILLER for tunneling...... Really? Their bad decision to unhook me which cost both of us is the killers fault? The killer made the best choice possible in that situation. They got 2 people hooked in the basement at the same time.

    If I played killer, you can bet your ass I'm going after the injured guy before the idiot who saved him in front of me. Why wouldn't I? You're supposed to help your team, and that means when it's SAFE to make a save and when it's a stupid idea that'll get the person hooked either killed or hooked again. I'm not saying tunneling doesn't exist, or that killers are beyond complaint. But, why is it survivors always want killers punished for their mistakes? By playing the game as survivor you accept the fact the killer is going to try and kill you by ANY means necessary, and not going to cater to your sense of fun.

  • @PigMainClaudette said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278858#Comment_1278858

    I didn't know that you could cancel it in that way. And people tend to hate Self-Care. For a time one of my builds was Balanced Landing, Self-Care, Botany Knowledge and Decisive Strike so that I could run and heal back up after. It was pretty effectively actually.

    Yes it is. It got a really bad reputation after the healing nerf and now many are screaming at selfcare users for no reason. I keep going back to selfcare + botany, because i genuinely find it strong. Inner strength + sprint burst is the sweaty contender.

  • @Weederick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278869#Comment_1278869

    Yes it is. It got a really bad reputation after the healing nerf and now many are screaming at selfcare users for no reason. I keep going back to selfcare + botany, because i genuinely find it strong. Inner strength + sprint burst is the sweaty contender.

    Agreed, as I only play solo queue self-care is mandatory.

    I run Self-Care/Kindred/WGLF/Botany Knowledge or Dead Hard

    If you don't need BP you can switch WGLF with something else. It makes it so I don't have to rely on my team, but I can also support them if needed.

  • Tunneling is the hallmark of insecurity and lack of skill

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278880#Comment_1278880

    Agreed, as I only play solo queue self-care is mandatory.

    I run Self-Care/Kindred/WGLF/Botany Knowledge or Dead Hard

    If you don't need BP you can switch WGLF with something else. It makes it so I don't have to rely on my team, but I can also support them if needed.

    Yep have the same build but with iron will over wglf. Kindred gives all the info solo queuers need and botany turns you into a healer, generating free value whenever you heal. Very handy and lazy build

  • @joker7997 said:

    Tunneling is the hallmark of insecurity and lack of skill

    • I heard some Killers tunneling 1 to dead as soon as possible, then play with other 3 for good BP
    • That is EQUAL to Survivors rush 5 Gen and have Gates ready then they fool around Killer for some more BP before open the Gate and escape.

    Both wants to have easier game while still keep high BP and pip.


    I had a match where I got like 3-4 hooks then all Gen are done (as Trapper in MacMillan realm with a big tree in the middle). The funny thing is Survivors ran around taking hits here and there, then I got another hook. 1 took a hit and run away to lure me to go away from hook, just in result other 2 trapped at the same time near the hooked one, I went back and down both.

    1 on hook, 2 down, 1 injured. I chased the injured, luckily other 2 down didnt have Unbreakable. I had 4k. The fact all of them could just open the Gate and escape.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278913#Comment_1278913

    • I heard some Killers tunneling 1 to dead as soon as possible, then play with other 3 for good BP
    • That is EQUAL to Survivors rush 5 Gen and have Gates ready then they fool around Killer for some more BP before open the Gate and escape.

    Both wants to have easier game while still keep high BP and pip.

    I had a match where I got like 3-4 hooks then all Gen are done (as Trapper in MacMillan realm with a big tree in the middle). The funny thing is Survivors ran around taking hits here and there, then I got another hook. 1 took a hit and run away to lure me to go away from hook, just in result other 2 trapped at the same time near the hooked one, I went back and down both.

    1 on hook, 2 down, 1 injured. I chased the injured, luckily other 2 down didnt have Unbreakable. I had 4k. The fact all of them could just open the Gate and escape.

    Yeah there are douchebags on both sides for sure. They take the game way too serious or something, as killer I normally play sub optimal killers and don't play like a dick. I usually kill 3-4 but not always. If they want to get cocky and in my face and try to bully me, I start playing like a dick. As survivor I don't play toxic, I always bring hunch and do all the totems so they aren't getting hardcore gen rushed. But like My group had a legion against us today that was so bad we knew they were sort of new, all 5 gens done with no hooks. We felt bad so we led him to a hook and we were all pointing telling him to hook us so he could get some bps. He tried to down us all, and the guy he got on the hook he facecamped. We couldn't believe it. At any rate we all escaped and he was a rank 16. We decided we were never going to be nice like that again. Too many jerkoffs play this game.

  • @Purr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1277483#Comment_1277483

    how exactly do u justify something being moral when one party is a supernatural killer with beyond logical abilitys that kills and tortures to appease a godlike being known as the entity who has the ability to rip people from our world into one of its own making where it feeds off of pain and suffering and the breaking of peoples hope?

    i mean the fact survivors hope to not be tunneled or hit by NOED.. wouldnt killers using that make the entity happy? :D by logic it would since the killer is destroying ur hope so the entity can feast

    I clarified in a later comment that I wasn't saying tunnelling was immoral - all I said was that one scenario is slightly less morally justifiable than the other. Kind of like how my grandparents are both old, but one is slightly less old than the other.

  • @joker7997 my game wasnt toxic, but its understandable that people want and easy game and still able to win with more BP. Its a normal thing for me as Trapper main that once all traps are done, its mostly 3-4 Gen done. Combined with what I said "Gen rush then fool around".

    Balance the game isnt enough, people will always find a way to exploit it and make the game easier. Gen rush & Tunneling are examples. There must be a way to totally remove Gen rush & tunneling, camping. I do have ideas for those, and I believe its fair, but unlikely to happens.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    @joker7997 my game wasnt toxic, but its understandable that people want and easy game and still able to win with more BP. Its a normal thing for me as Trapper main that once all traps are done, its mostly 3-4 Gen done. Combined with what I said "Gen rush then fool around".

    Balance the game isnt enough, people will always find a way to exploit it and make the game easier. Gen rush & Tunneling are examples. There must be a way to totally remove Gen rush & tunneling, camping. I do have ideas for those, and I believe its fair, but unlikely to happens.

    They won't get changed too much. All are strategies and the devs had said so themselves. If someone chooses to play that way there isn't really anything you can do to force them to stop. You just have to find the counterplay for that strategy. It might not be fun to play against, but one side shouldn't have to play a certain way just so others can have fun

  • @CrazeCrame because both way (both side) are to seek easier game with good reward. It will happens all the time. Fair Survivors will have fair chance vs fair Killer and vice versa. Gen rush Survivors will always crush fair Killer. Tunneler will always crush fair Survivors. Playing fair doesnt reward players.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1277782#Comment_1277782

    I clarified in a later comment that I wasn't saying tunnelling was immoral - all I said was that one scenario is slightly less morally justifiable than the other. Kind of like how my grandparents are both old, but one is slightly less old than the other.

    agreed but comparing morality to a killer is useless its like trying to apply age to someone who is ageless/immortal

  • Lore wise the killer isn't meant to tunnel. The entity feeds on hope that's why extending the match is how you pip and earn more blood points. Tunneling a survivor off the hook wouldn't give them hope of survival.

  • I was expecting another survivor rant about being tunneled. However after reading your descriptions of when it is logical for the killer to tunnel and when it is not, I agree.

    There are plenty of reasons why tunneling works in the killers favor but there are some situations where it is abused.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    I was expecting another survivor rant about being tunneled. However after reading your descriptions of when it is logical for the killer to tunnel and when it is not, I agree.

    There are plenty of reasons why tunneling works in the killers favor but there are some situations where it is abused.

    Agreed. I do not support/condone the tunnelling of one person off the hook to the point where you even refuse to hit people bodyblocking for them or passing a gen where you can clearly see another survivor (that most of the time is injured)

1 2 ›