"Swinging" on hook ... and its meaning

So just a quick question to everyone.

Situation: Someons hooked and you see him "swinging" with his arms repeatedly.

As i learned it or more like remember it, it means that the killer facecamps or generally camps somewhere near the hook. So always if i see a player like this i wont go there (when im on objectives or totems) until he stops (or i havent anything better to do in this moment).

So the question would be, is it justified or just a dick move?

What do you think it means or does it have any "official" meaning at all?

Comments

  • I assume it means camping, and I think a lot of people do. So everyone's best bet is to not do it for any other reason. Although, if you're running kindred, it's a good way to not let the killer know you are if he sits on top of you the first time.

    Still, lots of people do it because they're impatient to get unhooked. I've been tempted to let people who try to unhook themselves in front of me when I'm wasting time to save them to just die. 😅

  • I’ve always understood rapid arm swinging to mean that they’re being camped as well, so I wouldn’t consider it a dick move to stay on your gen, no.

  • Spamming M1 while on the hook means "killer is camping, go do gens". In retrospect it sends the opposite message, but that's the way it was decided back in the day.

  • It used to mean "killer's nearby, do gens", but new players just assume it means the exact opposite and I now assume that any and all hook gymnasts are simply trying to get in some upper-boddy workout for that sweet 4% Kobe next match.

  • During old days flapping arms meant "Killer is close, do gens". But with increasing player base it lost its meaning as everyone started to make it out of fun or being bored.

    I would like, during the SWF controversy, to bring meaning back to this, so there is a bit more of solo communication possible. I use the following:

    • flapping arms: killer is close, do gens or AT LEAST be cautious
    • be calm: I'm fine to get saved
    • stop after 95% of the self unhook animation: noone is coming, I'm dying. pls move your ass up here or I have to try kobe and go to 2nd state
  • Ok, so it has always be fine like i did it.

    So what was more the intention of this post, maybe we can spread the word about this a little bit more?

    Because it really gets annoying, like some said, many misunderstand it as "come here asap" and so run directly into the killer while i facepalm into eternity.

  • There's nothing official. I do it for camping.

    I also run kindred, so I don't really need the thing either way 🤷‍♂️

    @cheetocultleader said:

    I assume it means camping, and I think a lot of people do. So everyone's best bet is to not do it for any other reason. Although, if you're running kindred, it's a good way to not let the killer know you are if he sits on top of you the first time.

    Still, lots of people do it because they're impatient to get unhooked. I've been tempted to let people who try to unhook themselves in front of me when I'm wasting time to save them to just die. 😅

    I always want to wait until they hit stage 2 when they do that.

    But I don't want them to quit the match, so I don't.

    But I don't heal them. Ever.