It's not tunneling if you're working on a generator

I'm going to start of and say I'm actually a survivor main. However, I play both survivor and killer at red ranks.

When I play killer I try my best to play as fair as possible. I even go out my way to avoid tunneling an unhooked survivor, which makes playing killer at red ranks even harder then it already is.

However, often I get survivors complaining post game that I tunneled them, because after they got unhooked they immediately start working on a generator, so I interrupt that gen progress by downing them. I have no idea what some survivors expect the killer to do if they spot them working on a generator after they have been unhooked. If they expect the killer to just ignore them, then that survivor is just entitled.

When I play killer, and I see a survivor working on a generator I'll chase them off the gen, and I will prioritize downing them as if I leave them they'll probably go back to working on that generator. So when I play survivor and the killer spots me working on a generator, I expect the killer to chase me.


The link below is of a post about the unrealistic expectations DBD players have for their opponents:

@Nutty_Professor said:

So I'm a survivor main but I play both survivor and killer, and have reached rank 1 in both (mind you I haven't reached rank 1 killer since October 2018, and I'm not that good with killer anymore). With Dead By Daylight I notice an expectation that their opponent's job is to provide them with a "fun game".

To be honest this is mostly from survivors, who some believe it's the killers job to provide them with a fun game. Whilst it's not entirely survivors, I've had killers messaging me to declare that I am now on their Mori list because they couldn't catch me or because I saved someone with with borrowed time at the end of the game.

My response is that to those who have the opinion that it's their opponents job to provide them with a fun game, do you care about how much fun they are having in the game?

I certainly don't care about the killers enjoyment of the game when I play survivor. My version of fun is being able to be chased by the killer for a long period of time, till when all the generators are powered up, the killer is driven to facecamp me, or the killer disconnects (especially when I see at the end of the game, the killer is a red rank). I highly doubt the killer is having a wonderful time in those situations.

So I don't care about the killer's enjoyment, so I don't expect the killer to care about my enjoyment of the game.


Comments

  • Alot of people abuse it,but could care less. I just eat the ds or slug 'em.

  • Survivors: JUST PRESHADAGENS

    Also Survivors: But not the one I'm on, or you're tunneling me!

  • @ZeroJukes said:

    Saying you're a survivor main once you start your post make me lost all the credibility that it had.

    1. Doing it doesn't make you're argument more valid, we dont even know if you're lying cause we really dont know which side you main.
    2. What you're trying to accomplish here? just make a us vs them thread? we all already know it isn't tunneling so I dont get why make a post about it.

    For information purposes lot of survivors seem to think that if they get unhooked, then immediately begin working on a generator and then think that they are being tunneled. Which results in toxic behaviour.

    One of the biggest issues in this game is player entitlement, it's not just survivors, there are entitled killers too. Today I was playing killer after not playing for three months. I was receiving a lot of post game toxicity from SWF groups because they thought I tunneled one of their friends despite the reason I went after them was due to them working on a generator.


    I play survivor more then I play killer, and I'm also a better survivor then I am as a killer, which makes me a survivor main. Not to mention I have Jake as my profile avatar.

    EDIT: The reason I mentioned I was a survivor main, is so I wouldn't be accused of being a killer main and it would save me time from having to make a reply explaining that I'm actually a survivor main.

  • That's pretty reasonable to say. It's not like the killer should just stand there and watch you do the gen.

  • @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1256962#Comment_1256962

    For information purposes lot of survivors seem to think that if they get unhooked, then immediately begin working on a generator and then think that they are being tunneled. Which results in toxic behaviour.

    One of the biggest issues in this game is player entitlement, it's not just survivors, there are entitled killers too. Today I was playing killer after not playing for three months. I was receiving a lot of post game toxicity from SWF groups because they thought I tunneled one of their friends despite the reason I went after them was due to them working on a generator.

    I play survivor more then I play killer, and I'm also a better survivor then I am as a killer, which makes me a survivor main. Not to mention I have Jake as my profile avatar.

    It's funny because I don't think they even see the irony of the situation. You felt the need to comment about how you're a survivor main because of how people would just dismiss you as a killer main, and they immediately jumped on you to say that you're probably a killer. :D

  • @ZeroJukes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257012#Comment_1257012

    You having jake as a pfp doesn't mean you dont main killer.

    Can I be a damn entitled killer in the forums but have yui as a pfp and not be entitled?

    Still you didn't answer my questions, I get a lot of steam comment from salty killer and I dont make a thread about it, just move on damn.. we all know that you dont need to make a post about it, all this thread creates is a us vs them.

    Or maybe it is more an educational post trying to explain that the term tunneling is used improperly just about as much as toxic is. If we can have discourse on things and come to understanding with each other, maybe the community will become better off?

  • "I try my best to play as fair as possible"

    As you said many will complain anyway, or t-bag you at exit gate. Idk if there are enough reasons to play "fair" in this game.

  • @ZeroJukes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257012#Comment_1257012

    You having jake as a pfp doesn't mean you dont main killer.

    Can I be a damn entitled killer in the forums but have yui as a pfp and not be entitled?

    Still you didn't answer my questions, I get a lot of steam comment from salty killer and I dont make a thread about it, just move on damn.. we all know that you dont need to make a post about it, all this thread creates is a us vs them.

    How is it a survivor vs killer post, when it was made by a survivor main talking about how some survivors are being entitled?

    It's a discussion about player entitlement. I could have used other examples where some survivors believe that killers should leave an area of a hooked even if the killer believes there is another survivor nearby.

    Or on the other how doing generators and looping is considered toxic. It isn't toxic, it's just playing the game.

    Personally I've always had the mindset that it is not the opponents responsibility to provide me with a fun game. It's my responsibility to have a fun game. I linked my old topic where I talk about that subject in the OP.

    EDIT:

    This is my PSN Profile.

    image.png

    EDIT 2: In case anyone still has doubts whether I'm really a survivor main.

    image.png image.png

    What sort of killer mains spends blood points on P3'ing their survivors whilst leaving the majority of their killers at level 1?

  • I know that feeling OP.

    Some survivors will just throw themselfes at you and call it tunneling. If they make a mistake (like selfcaring under the hook where they just got rescued), it's tunneling again. I mean, it's better to blame others, instead of looking at the situation as a whole and learn from it.

    Or they use OoO and accuse me of tunneling. Yeah buddy, you have a big X on you. If I can't find another target, why should I ignore you?

    Same goes for some killers who call an efficient survivorteam (be it swf or not) genrusher or running tiles optimal toxic.

  • @ZeroJukes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257012#Comment_1257012

    You having jake as a pfp doesn't mean you dont main killer.

    Can I be a damn entitled killer in the forums but have yui as a pfp and not be entitled?

    Still you didn't answer my questions, I get a lot of steam comment from salty killer and I dont make a thread about it, just move on damn.. we all know that you dont need to make a post about it, all this thread creates is a us vs them.

    Then move on instead of talking trash to him. He didnt do anything wrong and even if he is a Killer Main, this woulds change anything he said.

    He just wantet to tell us what happened to him. Nothing more. He did nothing wrong. So stop telling him a lier or whatever else.

  • It doesnt matter what the survivors does. If you straight up go for him after unhook its tunneling. Stop justifying your cheap play with even cheaper "arguments".

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    It doesnt matter what the survivors does. If you straight up go for him after unhook its tunneling. Stop justifying your cheap play with even cheaper "arguments".

    So what should the Killer do? Should he just let the Survivor repair the Gen?

  • @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257026#Comment_1257026

    How is it a survivor vs killer post, when it was made by a survivor main talking about how some survivors are being entitled?

    It's a discussion about player entitlement. I could have used other examples where some survivors believe that killers should leave an area of a hooked even if the killer believes there is another survivor nearby.

    Or on the other how doing generators and looping is considered toxic. It isn't toxic, it's just playing the game.

    Personally I've always had the mindset that it is not the opponents responsibility to provide me with a fun game. It's my responsibility to have a fun game. I linked my old topic where I talk about that subject in the OP.

    EDIT:

    This is my PSN Profile.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/066/CSEKH4F4RGOB.png

    I really should finish Skyrim.

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    It doesnt matter what the survivors does. If you straight up go for him after unhook its tunneling. Stop justifying your cheap play with even cheaper "arguments".

    you can't be for real.

  • Play how you want to play. The only real confines are the mechanics within the game. I do have an appreciation for the non mechanic confines because I want players to have a good time and especially get points.

    That balances against my want to win. The easiest method I found was play nice killer until three gens remaining. If I have a bunch of hooks with five gens remaining then I know there wasn’t much opportunity for the others to have fun. I loosen up. Let them catch back up a bit.

    In a way it’s like being the manager of the game but if you lose your control you have to take it back.

    @Nutty_Professor said:

    I'm going to start of and say I'm actually a survivor main. However, I play both survivor and killer at red ranks.

    When I play killer I try my best to play as fair as possible. I even go out my way to avoid tunneling an unhooked survivor, which makes playing killer at red ranks even harder then it already is.

    However, often I get survivors complaining post game that I tunneled them, because after they got unhooked they immediately start working on a generator, so I interrupt that gen progress by downing them. I have no idea what some survivors expect the killer to do if they spot them working on a generator after they have been unhooked. If they expect the killer to just ignore them, then that survivor is just entitled.

    When I play killer, and I see a survivor working on a generator I'll chase them off the gen, and I will prioritize downing them as if I leave them they'll probably go back to working on that generator. So when I play survivor and the killer spots me working on a generator, I expect the killer to chase me.

    The link below is of a post about the unrealistic expectations DBD players have for their opponents:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/101754/you-ruined-my-fun

    To your point OP, I think my above method has served as a better barometer for measuring fairness to the survivor team against fairness for myself.

    If a recently unhooked survivor runs to repair right in front of me, I’d consider the number of gens and likelihood of DS before deciding whether to further the player’s elimination.

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    It doesnt matter what the survivors does. If you straight up go for him after unhook its tunneling. Stop justifying your cheap play with even cheaper "arguments".

    Your joking right i know your biased af survivor but jesus...

  • @Steel_Eyed said:

    Play how you want to play. The only real confines are the mechanics within the game. I do have an appreciation for the non mechanic confines because I want players to have a good time and especially get points.

    That balances against my want to win. The easiest method I found was play nice killer until three gens remaining. If I have a bunch of hooks with five gens remaining then I know there wasn’t much opportunity for the others to have fun. I loosen up. Let them catch back up a bit.

    In a way it’s like being the manager of the game but if you lose your control you have to take it back.

    how i like to play too but thing is most games 3 gen pop in sec the last two don't take long either no time play nice killer.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257201#Comment_1257201

    how i like to play too but thing is most games 3 gen pop in sec the last two don't take long either no time play nice killer.

    What I mean by nice killer is not going for the fast win. It’s situational but for example: If I slug three at the start of a match and see the fourth. I’ll hook two, walk away, kick generators.

    If multiple gens are completed I would finish the match. Everyone had their chance for fun - which is where the tunneling complaints are coming from.

  • It's also not tunneling if you're just the worst player on your team, so you're the one that I'm constantly seeing out in the open, constantly leaving scratches everywhere, constantly failing skill checks, and whatever else.

    The number of times that I've had my first kill be that guy that you just constantly see out in the open running at full speed - who then whined that I was tunneling - must be fairly high.

  • @Steel_Eyed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257226#Comment_1257226

    What I mean by nice killer is not going for the fast win. It’s situational but for example: If I slug three at the start of a match and see the fourth. I’ll hook two, walk away, kick generators.

    If multiple gens are completed I would finish the match. Everyone had their chance for fun - which is where the tunneling complaints are coming from.

    i know what you meant i'm saying i wish i could have more nice killer games

  • @Xzan said:

    I know that feeling OP.

    Some survivors will just throw themselfes at you and call it tunneling. If they make a mistake (like selfcaring under the hook where they just got rescued), it's tunneling again. I mean, it's better to blame others, instead of looking at the situation as a whole and learn from it.

    Or they use OoO and accuse me of tunneling. Yeah buddy, you have a big X on you. If I can't find another target, why should I ignore you?

    Same goes for some killers who call an efficient survivorteam (be it swf or not) genrusher or running tiles optimal toxic.

    It's always fun to find survivors self caring, while running sloppy and nurses.

    That or some survivors, seem to have a six sense of knowing how to run straight into the killer and jump scaring them.

    Which i have been on awesome teams before and fought against them. Like sometimes gens just go fast on good team. Even had a good post game chat with one. Praising them for their team work, i was the killer. They praise me as well. It was a nice and friendly back and forth. It was good times for everyone. I would love to play against them again. That and it awesome just being on a good team.

    Which i think i only got called a gen rusher once. Due to soloing as i do 100% of the time. Bringing prove thyself for the blood points. Someone else also brought prove thyself, which made the killer thing genrushing. When not a single person brought along a toolbox. Which the term always seem odd. So it's a bad thing? Like that what survivors do, repair the gens and sometimes they do it quickly for one reason or another.

    @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1256962#Comment_1256962

    For information purposes lot of survivors seem to think that if they get unhooked, then immediately begin working on a generator and then think that they are being tunneled. Which results in toxic behaviour.

    One of the biggest issues in this game is player entitlement, it's not just survivors, there are entitled killers too. Today I was playing killer after not playing for three months. I was receiving a lot of post game toxicity from SWF groups because they thought I tunneled one of their friends despite the reason I went after them was due to them working on a generator.

    I play survivor more then I play killer, and I'm also a better survivor then I am as a killer, which makes me a survivor main. Not to mention I have Jake as my profile avatar.

    Thank you for helping to be information. Like the more people know what is and is not tunneling, the easier it would be to come to agreement on things.

    @LetsPlayTogether said:

    It doesnt matter what the survivors does. If you straight up go for him after unhook its tunneling. Stop justifying your cheap play with even cheaper "arguments".

    You do know how poor your logic is there right? That a survivor can dance around the killer in circles, can follow the killer around like a lost puppy dog. The survivor can work on a gen in front of the killer's face and due to being unhooked, they are immune to anything bad happening to them. For some unknown amount of time, going by your logic. Did you think this over for five seconds before posting this idea? That and tunneling is focusing purely on one person, above and beyond any logical reason, even when it would benefit them to focus on someone else. Which in this game, one of the killer's goals is to keep survivors off gens. Downing them or injuring them, to chase them off, is a great way to get them off a gen. Yet a killer would have to shut down their brain and let a survivor finish a gen in front of them, due to just getting unhooked. So a killer legit has to do something that goes against their best interest, to favor the survivors. You are aware that is basically what your idea is, right?

  • Ya I think survivors are seriously silly about a lot of their rules for killers. If you get back on working a gen both your not getting tunneled or snoop boop protection go away.

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    I once had a match where a Survivor was standing directly behind me as I hooked his friend. I turned and whacked him, and he disconnected, then claimed I was camping in the endgame lobby. I asked if he expected me to walk away and he said 'yes', swore at me, and left.

    I would have thought he was joking, if not for the swearing. I believe he was 100% convinced that he deserved a free unhook for..fairness? I guess?

    And I'm not saying Killer's can't be mean. I once had a match start where the Killer (Trapper) tunneled me. Like, he ignored my SWF buddy (we were working on the same gen). My buddy even ran in front of him during his chase of me, and he just went around my friend. Did not even whack him. He then camped me and did the 'headbang' thing. He walked away to get a trap, and my friend unhooked me. He waited until I was unhooked, to avoid hitting my friend, and took a swing at me that my friend blocked. He proceeded to chase me again instead of downing my friend, who was basically tickling his butt the whole time (And Trapper has a bootay), downed me, and proceeded to hook me and attack me nonstop while my friend stood there using the 'point' emote.

    I have no idea why I ticked him off so badly. I don't even run what could be considered 'toxic' builds, and I was playing Dwight, of all people. But he was determined to make my match as horrible as humanly possible. ..I mostly just laughed at the absurdity of it all. Like, I probably would have been ticked off if I was not playing with a friend, who was laughing as hard as I was.

    That said, when I play Killer, if I realize an unhooking is happening, or I predict the Survivors right, I'll mostly ignore the recently unhooked guy, unless he starts healing himself, healing someone else, or working on a gen. Your 'immunity' is forfeit the moment you start doing beneficial actions other than 'run away'. But if I happen to run into the same poor sap while chasing someone ELSE, I'll still try to ignore them, unless it happens 3 times. By then, 30+ seconds have passed; they are now valid targets.

    The only time I'll camp is when the gates have opened, there's nothing else I can do but guard the hook to secure the kill. I understand it when a killer does it against me when I'm playing survivor. Yet, I don't know what some survivors expect killers to do in that situation, to go to the corner the map and stay there during end game collaspe?

    On the flip side I get a lot salty messages from killers. I don't BM, I refuse to use keys, I don't bring Haddonfield offerings, and before the map changes I avoided looping god loops (they were broken and didn't take any skill to use). I just play optimally.

    I've even been name and shamed on a Facebook group, for being a "try hard survivor".

  • This threads shows exactly why this game is so annoying. But hey, its always the survivors fault. LOL

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    This threads shows exactly why this game is so annoying. But hey, its always the survivors fault. LOL

    Its always your fault you biased, toxic kid. Love how you never respond to legit critism because you have zero clue what you should response because you know they are right.

  • This is why I think DS should stop working if you work on a gen. You are clearly not being tunneled if you are safe enough to work on a gen in peace.

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    This threads shows exactly why this game is so annoying. But hey, its always the survivors fault. LOL

    Well, which side is known for their Rules killers must follow?

    In this case it is just entitlement. Its equitable for a killer demanding they get a 4k just because they brought a mori.

  • Agreed. If the survivor can get back on a gen and start working, they aren't being tunneled. Whoever thinks that doesn't actually know what tunneling is.

    Side note: that doesn't mean DS shouldn't work.

  • Although I completely disagree with people not feeling any obligation to care whether or not the other people in the match enjoy themselves. Or who garner their enjoyment out of the misery of others. Hard pass.

  • @Demonl3y said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257689#Comment_1257689

    Its always your fault you biased, toxic kid. Love how you never respond to legit critism because you have zero clue what you should response because you know they are right.

    Iam sick of these legends of killer critisism on forums. There's hardly one reasonable critisism in a week from killers. Most is like this just biased rants. But hey, survivors are at fault. always. And killers are allowed to ruin others game time. GG EZ like your folks says.

  • Daily reminder that it's the killers job to kill you.

    Not sure why people still persist in acting as if it's the killers job to throw you a party and make sure you have a great time or something. It's YOUR job to enjoy the game your playing.

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258114#Comment_1258114

    Iam sick of these legends of killer critisism on forums. There's hardly one reasonable critisism in a week from killers. Most is like this just biased rants. But hey, survivors are at fault. always. And killers are allowed to ruin others game time. GG EZ like your folks says.

    Funny thing is that the ,,GG EZ" almost always comes from Survivors. Also just explain me why it is tunneling if the Survivor goes straight on the Gen infron of the Killer.


    Also YOU are the most biased person i ever saw.

    All i see from you are rants about Killers are too OP or something

    You act like as if every single Killer is a ######### and stupid person whos life isnt worth anything without giving any reason.

    In your logic the Killer isnt allowed to do anything.

  • @Bovinity said:

    Daily reminder that it's the killers job to kill you.

    Not sure why people still persist in acting as if it's the killers job to throw you a party and make sure you have a great time or something. It's YOUR job to enjoy the game your playing.

    It is absolutely the killers job to kill all 4 survivors. 100% agree. I get farmed off a hook, I blame my teammate (unless it was a facecamping wraith). The killer comes back and chases my injured arse over the healthy, stealthing survivor? Still my teammates fault. The killer prioritises me over the 2 healthy people bodyblocking me? I get facecamped and hard tunnelled? I get bleed out while the killer watches? No, that's just the killer being an arse and ignoring their objective to kill 1 person. And unfortunately, most of those people use that very same excuse, because hey, they secured a kill. 1 kill. So I think we should collectively change it to "It's the killers job to kill EVERYONE".

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258186#Comment_1258186

    It is absolutely the killers job to kill all 4 survivors. 100% agree. I get farmed off a hook, I blame my teammate (unless it was a facecamping wraith). The killer comes back and chases my injured arse over the healthy, stealthing survivor? Still my teammates fault. The killer prioritises me over the 2 healthy people bodyblocking me? I get facecamped and hard tunnelled? I get bleed out while the killer watches? No, that's just the killer being an arse and ignoring their objective to kill 1 person. And unfortunately, most of those people use that very same excuse, because hey, they secured a kill. 1 kill. So I think we should collectively change it to "It's the killers job to kill EVERYONE".

    If it's any consolation, they're doing that because you're kicking their ass and they have no confidence that they can do anything.

    It's the equivalent of a Terran floating their buildings to the corner of the map once they're lost in SC. 😁

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    This threads shows exactly why this game is so annoying. But hey, its always the survivors fault. LOL

    You do realize, that I'm a survivor main right?

    I just happen to play killer as well.

  • killer has entered the match

    Survivors: MAP CAMPING, GEN TUNNELING BABY KILLER🤬🤬🤬