Deranking: Acceptable or Unforgivable?
The title says it all! What do you guys think?
In my opinion deranking is the outcome of a broken matchmaking system.
My level 13 character with his two yellow perks is astoundingly ill-suited for a round with a rank 2 Killer with t3 purple perks. And I am frankly a mediocre Survivor at best. My loss-to-win ratio is probably atrocious and I spend a great deal of time at the end practically praying that I DON'T pip or that I derank.
And yet here I am at rank 2 as Survivor. Disappointing teammates, being tea bagged by Ghostface or sent disgusting messages by rude Killers. 🤣 I am not here by choice - I belong in the green or entry purple games at best. So what's a girl to do? Derank? Risk a DC ban (I've never DC'd in my life, never will)? Hook suicide and basically give my entire team a big 'eff you'?
Alas, I sit here at my Rank 2, watching myself never derank and never rank up, only to swiftly return to Rank 2 after our day 13 derank.
I can see why people DO derank. And while Killers have a far more graceful way to derank because they are not disappointing 3 other players... It still just isn't fun for anyone. It feels like a huge waste of time and offerings for all parties involved.
Now if you, as Survivor or Killer, derank because you do not like a challenge or you want to stomp on baby Survivors or baby Killers, that is awful and shame on you.
Comments
Acceptable at this point now, not that it makes a difference though
The game is actually easier at higher ranks for survivor if you know what you're doing. Your chances of getting matched with other intelligent survivors is far greater at red ranks. At lower ranks, that's where the killers are generally better than the survivors. Killer is easier to pick up than survivor, but the survivor skill cap is more powerful than the killer skill cap
At which point? And what doesn't make a difference?
Care to elaborate? :)
Perhaps for skilled players, yes! That would make sense. But for people like me, who are decent but just aren't fantastic at the game, it is not a good system at all. And as I said in my OP it actually makes me feel badly for people I get matched with sometimes.
But the question I was posing was about the player ethics of deranking because I was curious as to whether people are upset by it or in favor of it.
I get bothered by it. As a low rank for both (16 Survivor, 19 Killer), I'm just frankly not very good, and it's mostly due to needing to up my looping game. If I'm playing survivor and go against someone who clearly knows what they're doing as killer, only to see they've got all these ultra rare level three perks and are like P3 or wtv, that's just really frustrating. Suddenly I'm depipping when against a true Rank 18 or wtv I would have at least safety pipped. Matchmaking can be wonky as it is. Deranking to steamroll low ranks is just... why...
I could not agree with you more. Survivors and Killers alike who derank just to stomp on new players is, in my opinion, the very definition of toxic. Especially because those are the people who will have the gall to tea bag or send salty messages.
Hang in there, animalmak! A new matchmaking system is in the works. In the meantime just keep plugging at it and don't get discouraged! You'll get the hang of it and really start to feel the change. And when it comes to pipping you'll start having the opposite problem!
I'm desperate to derank because I'm not nearly as good as my rank claims I am. 😂
Thanks! I mostly play with my friends at this point because even if I'm not the best looper, I still get frustrated with other survivors at my ranks just... not doing things lol. I'm actually pretty excited for the new system because I think a range of skills in a trial will make for a more interesting overall experience!
Example, killer is green rank and gets matched with nothing but red ranks survs. He de ranks to rank 16 to get matched with purples and greens. This is acceptable because your not doing it with malicious intent and there’s no learning experience for a rank 12 killer for say getting matched with rank 1s and 4s just to get completely gen rushed and stomped on. No learning experience whatsoever
Problem is, he can get matched with red ranks just as easily at rank 16 with the matchmaking as buggy as it is. So while the impulse is understandable, it doesn't make any difference in that case. It might mean they get less red ranked matches if they deranked from, say, purple, but if someone is getting matched with people more than six ranks away from them to begin with, that's a bug and deranking isn't going to fix it.
There's not really a definitive win or lose state tho. 4k'd survivors can still rank up, a killer can 4k and not rank up. That's why it's a sliding scale of how many emblems you get translating into rank increases. The notion that there's no middle ground between ALWAYS ESCAPE and ALWAYS 4K is probably a big part of what makes the games turn toxic. It's an RNG based asymmetrical game. The two sides do entirely different things, so it's legitimately hard to claim that any one way of finishing the match is winning. Sure, there's a metagame built around trying to rank up, I guess, but that's external. People thinking they NEED to rank up just drives everything towards the same perks being run every time and games that are no fun for either side.
A ranking system should just be kept invisible and used only for the purpose of trying to match equally skilled players against each other, not some dick measuring context. But the conquest for glory overcompensators take part in drives people to play a game for a long until all the fun has been wrung out by how awful that cycle is, so whatever, it's good for business, I guess.
They took away rank reset so people need to reset themselves.
It doesn't even matter that much at the moment if you ask me, as matchmaking can decide to ascend and match players together that really shouldn't be matched.
And deranking in general is kinda iffy as in my opinion it's honestly about intent, which isn't something an automated system can take into account. Someone in a low-pop region at a time where red ranks mean queues that have to be timed in geological eras? Yeah, I can understand as they just want to play the game. Someone deranking specifically to grief lower skilled players for any reason? That's just cowardly no matter who does it.
It's honestly the methods people have used to derank in the time the game has been around that bother me more than the act itself. Survivors DCing/suiciding first hook is boring, killers standing in a corner cloaked as wraith is boring and so on.
Deranking is cancer. Matchmaking is a corpse dead from cancer.