Are challenges> being ethical?
In your opinion, what is more worth? To win or to do a challenge (archives or dailies). Let me create two cenarios for you;
Archive challenge: escape 4 times. You have it 3/4 complete. You and your teammate managed to finish the last gen, but they get hooked. What do you do? Do you sacrifice them for the challenge? Or do you risk your archive challenge just to save them?
Second case: You have a "kill all survivors by any means" challenge. You can either choose to tryhard with a red Mori or play normally and chill without it. Will you do it? Why? Because of the self made rules you made?
I wanna hear from you guys, do you value the challenges more? Let me know down below.
Comments
I don’t stress over it, I get around to finish the challenges either way so I’m not in dire need to get them done.
I will say, however, they’re unhealthy for the game IMO and give the killer an artificial sense of accomplishment/skill because of the survivors throwing the game just to complete the challenges.
I put people before personal gain when doing the challenges because there will be other matches. To use the given example, if I don't escape this time, that's okay, maybe I will the next.
If I make even a wild guess that a killer is trying to do a challenge (e.g. staying near the basement for the whole match), I will try to help them too, not just my teammates.
My wife absolutely will not put anyone else ahead of her challenges or escapes (including me), and that's ok too.
What do you do, @CLAUDETTEINABUSH?
I mainly play solo and a lone wolf playstyle at that (get into the Feng Min mindset) so I will never risk myself for others
Rule 1. Of horror don't go back for Billy. Screw Billy he's dead, you'll make new friends
Scenario 1: Leave why are you so worried about another survivor surviving? He got downed and you didn't, finish your challenge.
Scenario 2: Why do you care if survivors get moried. Sure I understand that Ebony Moris can be OP, but do you think the 3-4 SWF members are going to feel bad using a key to leave the match after you were looped for only 3 minutes. The dev's are encouraging you to use it so use it.
Your not here to make sure your teammates or opponents are having a good time. All that matters is if you have fun playing, not them.
1- depends on how risky it is. If the killer is camping, I can't save him. I don't usually carry BT. But kindred I do, so I would know how safe it would be.
I would tank a hit for him, but that's probably it.
2- I don't like moris. I rather just play normally.
Honestly, I don't worry too much about offending other people while playing. I'm on console, so the likelihood of me getting a post-game message is slim because that's effort, and it's like... it's one match.
In the specific scenarios you mentioned: I would leave to finish because I don't often escape (I've actually apologized to my SWF I was playing with bc I did that to them), and I'm honestly not good enough of a killer to even get the hooks to mori, so I'd probably just skip that one. I tend to focus on survivor challenges in the rift anyway, and I'll delete dailies if they're for killers that I have no intention of learning to play.
I will be selfsh for adept challenges. At tome it depends on the quest. everybody needs to die in basement and i already have two people hanging there?
Ill camp the ######### out of that sutiation.
The weaker challenges are not as important. I wont sacrifice anybody bc I want the last hook to be saboed before the killer gets me.
What you do :3
I don't need to complete em rn so I'll probably go for the save.
Didn't say swf tho. They are randoms.
Also in the survivor challenge, the guy ran the killer for a whole gen.
I fail to see how your play style in a video game has anything to do with ethics, or why it is being questioned whether or not what you choose to do in a video game is "ethical". It's a video game. Codes of ethics apply to real life. Not fictional video game worlds. Unless you happen to break a rule imposed by the developers, in which it becomes a real life thing, then that's another story.
Thanks for asking! Because in this game we have some made up rules and such. We feel bad if a survivor doesn't escape. We feel bad when we have to tunnel, slug or camp. I'm testing your limits of ethics right here, the ethics of the self made rules you made in dbd!
I don't feel bad if a survivor doesn't escape. I don't see why anyone would. It's a video game. There will be other games. They aren't dead in real life. They are still alive, with a heart beat and air to breathe. I also don't feel bad for tunneling, slugging or camping if that's something I have to do in a given situation (survivor brings a key etc). There are no ethical bounds in DBD or any video game outside of the rules the developers impose on us. Everything else is just imaginary and not a question of ethical code. Ethics applies to real life, as I said. Not fictional video game worlds.
I said I'm testing the people's limits of their moral codes. Unlike you, perhaps, who hasn't made self-made rules, some people do. I wanna test if they will not break their rules for the sake of challenges:3
Ethics, indeed is a strange work. But, honestly, I think it is fitting here xd
We feel bad when we have to tunnel, slug or camp
The Survivor mains posing as Killers do. The Killer mains do not.
Finally someone that's not a blithering idiot.
Ethics doesn't apply to self-made rules.
^^^
Hmmm....honestly I believe it can. If not then I'm misunderstood but you get my point!
Thanks for helping! Tho, I won't change the title because it would be confusing :3
Hope to see you in the fog!
Indeed some people, including me, forcefully camp, tunnel ect. I won't do that if I don't have to :3
It's more of a code of honor than it is a code of ethics. Honor has that looseness that allows personal rules to inhibit it. Ethics do not.
Its not like getting an escape is this unheard of possibility in a match. Its going to come sooner or later. If you want it now then don't save.
Because ethics extend to any situation where there are real people involved. Morality doesn't suddenly fly out the window just because you're in a video game world, and the fact that anyone thinks that it does is the main reason why video game communities get so toxic.
For the record, I agree with the distinction you made between honour and objective morality in the case of the OP (although one could potentially argue that honour has a moral basis), I'm just pointing out that one can and should hold someone's treatment of other players in a video game to the same moral standard that they would that person's treatment of others in real life.
I love you <3
Honestly some of the challenges encourage bad behaviour (toxicity) and screwing people over. I just play normally and eventually I’ll get the challenge done.
I find that I am actually more likely to screw over people when I'm getting at the end of a long challenge since I have the "opposite effect" with my Archives challenges. I try to do them and I literally get the opposite thing happening for the entire duration of the challenge. My most recent example was the Jane's Poised Generator/Escape master challenge on The Game map against a Spirit. The other survivor was slugged and left as bait, so I let them bleed out. Tried healing them once and they were targeted again. I knew where hatch was before they got downed. Nothing against them, but I'm not sticking out my neck for a situation like that.
Normally, I'd try to save someone, but it's a situational thing. If it's a bad situation, I'm going to ditch you. One escape is better than no escapes.
As for the "kill by any means" challenges, I just play the game normally. I'm deliberately not a high-rank killer for several reasons. Challenges is one of them.
I work, I don't got time to play no gaemz. :3
That survivor did their job wonderfully. The killer can just mutilate they ass while I leave!
Also the Dev's gave me a challenge, kill everyone by any means! They getting the best add-ons, an Ebony Mori, and me casually camping just out in the distance after a hook, so I can easily run back and kill the person off the hook, the way dbd is meant to be played. They all gonna die today.
Also the quicker I complete a challenge, the sooner I can move on to the next one.
That wouldnt be the case if they werent tied to the rift.
If people didnt feel like they HAD to do them ALL RIGHT NOW, it wouldn't be a meme fest of people doing challenges. People would just get tot them in their own time.
But since its directly tied to rift xp (for some bs reason) everyone feels rushed to do them ASAFP instead of just while playing.
Which leads to people throwing the game for them, just like pustula petals.