Fix the hitboxes already

Devs, you said that hitboxes were fine only for melee based gameplay, but Huntress has been out for 2.5 year already, and now we will have the Deathslinger with an even more precise power...

So, just fix them already. I know that they are simplified so that they are easier to calculate, but its 2020, no one uses pill shaped hitboxes anymore. Not to mention that DBD is made on Unreal Engine, FPS based game engine that can handle such things.

Make something that at least resembels human figure, with separate animations for crouching, healing, being healed and vaults. And remove the Aim Dressing. Its really funny that we have a special feature just so that we can have bad hitboxes...

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    The one thing I want them to fix; that I don't think is even related to latency- is the fact that if you vault a window and there is a drop you can be hit substantially later than you can be hit from any other window.

    Best way I can describe it is that if you vault a window from say the second story of a building; you can still be hit even if you are here for example:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/N8V76M9VNL8C/image.png

    It will do this 100% of the time regardless of the connection quality. If you swing you'll hit them well after they have fallen because the game treats it like it's a normal window you are just...on the other side of.

    Does the game not move the hitbox until you land? That's pretty funny if so

  • @lucid4444 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856187#Comment_1856187

    Does the game not move the hitbox until you land? That's pretty funny if so

    No, if you land you are usually safe unless the window is not that high. It's about half the fall distance on most higher up ledges.

    It also doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with like just plain drops afaik; it's literally just vault windows for some reason.

    I think it's because it does something wonky with your hitbox during the time when you vault or something, I am not entirely sure without seeing the dev data.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1857138#Comment_1857138

    No, if you land you are usually safe unless the window is not that high. It's about half the fall distance on most higher up ledges.

    It also doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with like just plain drops afaik; it's literally just vault windows for some reason.

    I think it's because it does something wonky with your hitbox during the time when you vault or something, I am not entirely sure without seeing the dev data.

    My guess with vaulting it keeps the survivors hurtbox in the window until the animation is fully completed and maybe a little bit afterwards.

  • how did this thread keep alive for an entire year

    anyways yes hitboxes suck

  • @Afius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1857146#Comment_1857146

    My guess with vaulting it keeps the survivors hurtbox in the window until the animation is fully completed and maybe a little bit afterwards.

    That is probably a more correct guess tbh.

  • @yandere777 said:

    You say fix hitboxes when they not broken and have been proven countless times to not be broken.

    You really just want them to change hitboxes in general, that's not fixing. It's just changing

    i was literally just hit after taking a step from vaulting a window. also about 3 weeks ago i was hit after i dropped a pallet, please explain how that was not a game involved issue with hit boxes. i was not lagging btw i would’ve see. the connection red thing.

  • @Afius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1857146#Comment_1857146

    My guess with vaulting it keeps the survivors hurtbox in the window until the animation is fully completed and maybe a little bit afterwards.

    Update: I ran some tests earlier with a local friend so the ping was super low.

    It's a latency issue and not a hitbox issue. Not a single hit was off no matter how we tested it; so long as the ping was fine.

    I then tested with an australian friend; and sure enough the windows were bad again; so it is a latency issue apparently.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1857152#Comment_1857152

    Update: I ran some tests earlier with a local friend so the ping was super low.

    It's a latency issue and not a hitbox issue. Not a single hit was off no matter how we tested it; so long as the ping was fine.

    I then tested with an australian friend; and sure enough the windows were bad again; so it is a latency issue apparently.

    Okay that makes sense it's more the type of net code they use to handle latency.

  • @Peanits said:

    We did a stream on this recently. I would suggest giving that a look if you haven't already.

    As far as capsule based hitboxes go, yes, plenty of games still use them. It's very common in almost any game that doesn't require precise hitboxes (i.e. headshots, body shots, etc.). Having precise hitboxes in DbD would be largely unnecessary and give smaller survivors an advantage over larger survivors.

    I really can't say WHAT the problem is, but hits are close to as bad as they've ever been. I have a ping that is always 57-63ms to the server according to the lobby. I can take two steps after a vault and get hit. I can take three steps around a corner wall, and get hit by a hatchet and get downed, I look behind me and can't even see the huntress for 3 seconds until she comes around the corner. I had high hopes for server side hit validation, me and my friends laugh because we assume it has been turned back off, its inexcusably bad. In the same match you can get this trash and then have a solid vault where the killer smacks the wall the next minute. Its like ######### is this game it has no consistency.

  • @Peanits said:

    We did a stream on this recently. I would suggest giving that a look if you haven't already.

    As far as capsule based hitboxes go, yes, plenty of games still use them. It's very common in almost any game that doesn't require precise hitboxes (i.e. headshots, body shots, etc.). Having precise hitboxes in DbD would be largely unnecessary and give smaller survivors an advantage over larger survivors.

    Excuse me??? "Having precise hitboxes in DbD would largely unnecessary and give smaller survivors an advantage over larger survivors"... so if I was in a war in a trench and standing next to a guy who would be taller than me and the trench then I would have to use a box to stand on, because it would be an advantage over the taller guy? Were you on drugs when you wrote this? Do you even listen to yourself? So it is completely ok when the killer misses, but the hitboxes say "no, they hit you, sorry, the devs said so". "Pretty good job so far" my ass, pretty bad job so far.

  • @RabidMeg said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1109064#Comment_1109064

    Actually I'd like to see some of this proof you speak of. I tried to search for it just now and all I found was countless videos/post of how bad the hitboxes are.

    You mean like the video clips posted in this same thread literally three posts before yours? Or the screenshots posted two more above that?

1 2 ›