Spirit Mains: How do I play as Spirit?
Whilst I'm a red rank killer I've never played Spirit properly other then doing a daily or if I just wanted to Mori the obsession with Rancor.
So I'm asking Spirit mains for suggestions of perk builds (I don't have Stridor, but I do have nurses calling Thanaphobia), and the best way to play as Spirit. Also I don't like to use addons as a killer, I'll only use add ons if I see a survivor in my lobby who I know to be toxic.
My style of play as a killer is that I heavily focus on providing generator pressure, and I won't commit to a chase unless I'm confident I can down that survivor quickly. So a build to fit that play style would be preferred.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Comments
@Nutty_Professor
There is no preferred build to the play-style you have, Spirit is a very versatile Killer and it's best to just use builds that maximize her potential in a chase and as well as increase her distance for each phase walk.
If you want to focus more on how to properly use her than I can provide some tips and perks to suggest below.
tips, tricks, perks, and add-ons
Spirit at her core is a versatile Killer, but she's primarily a "rush down Killer" since she can easily hit a Survivor and phase walk to them for a fast down.
What makes her so versatile you may ask? Well, traveling through out the map is not an issue with her phase walking so that's good for your type of play-style, she can also use said phase walking to down Survivors through manipulation and mind-games of where she'll end up, and it also gives her distance to travel around large loops and meet Survivors at the other side of loops that're very strong against Killers.
I'd like to try something different with this section though, instead of explaining it to you through text (which usually is a 50/50 on how people absorb said knowledge) or I can offer you a (slighly out-dated) video on how to effectively use her in chases. Before suggesting this video I will list down below the changes The Spirit got that makes this video out-dated, but the tips this video provides are still very solid for the most part and it should help you out with understanding where to phase and what to do at a loop.
The video below covers the add-ons, perks, tips and tricks, so I won't be listing the add-ons below but I will be listing the perks below for my build suggestion.
Here's the guide on how to use the spirit effectively
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AG8v-5sszA&t=393sa follow up video on the nerf (video starts at 3:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFIFJDyqJ0&t=134swhat were the spirit changes/nerfs?
I'll list below what was changed on The Spirit specifically, so be sure to read this before or after the video, either times work. (Please go below for the link on the Spirit changes.)
[Here's the link to the 3.4.0 Patch notes that released The Spirits changes]:
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/108852/patch-notes-3-4-0-cursed-legacy#latest
my build suggestion for the spirit
What I primarily use on The Spirit is a combination of a few different perks. I sometimes use perks like Ruin, Corrupt Intervention, etc that I swap around and mix and match, but if you're a good Spirit than you won't need these add-ons in-game and it's better to just bring Pop Goes the Weasel, which I've grown to only bring over those two perks above.
But, these are the perks below that I use for The Spirit, some I change around and what not but the build I primarily focus on is Save The Best for Last, Pop Goes the Weasel, Stridor, and BBQ & Chili. Usually I list every perk that works with a Killer, but for the sake of not breaking my fingers every time I do this... i'll just list the ones in the build itself below and the rest is up for interpretation.
As said above i'll only be listing the 4 perks of my build and the rest is up for interpretation. You can try swapping Stridor out for Ruin or Corrupt Intervention, but it's best to just try and unlock the perk, since it really is that good on The Spirit.
But you can swap it out for something else, it isn't going to ruin your entire build if you do.
conclusion
I hope this helps you out in some way, if it doesn't than sorry it didn't. Either way, hope you find what you're looking for in the future and hopefully this did give you what you were looking for!
Stay safe out there,
see you in the fog.
Thank you, I can tell you put a lot of effort into this I appreciate this a lot.
No problem, I usually just make guides on the spot for questions like these.
Glad it was able to help you out in some way!
Stridor... never thought of that for Spirit before. Nice tips.
Fairly solid perk for detecting Survivors in and out of phasing yeah.
Stridor makes sounds TOO loud. Yes, you'll find survivors easier but you'll have much harder time tracking them correctly and downing them as well.
"Oh, this Claudette must be close! Let me just get this bi-.. What do you mean she's in another jungle gym?"
I've never had issues with detecting where their breathing or "Moans of pain" are coming from personally, it's all up to how the player detects these sounds tbh, so others have an easier time finding Survivors while some don't.
Best perk for Spirit is Stridor. Some people say "oh you don't need it if you are a good Spirit" to which I respond "you haven't chased a survivor with Iron Will that actually KNOWS how to run from a Spirit". If they did they would see how important Stridor is. It's not there for every survivor. It's there for very SPECIFIC survivors that will run you around the map or lose you completely. These survivors are rare, majority of survivors go full throttle potato against Spirit so you will feel like most chases are a cake walk. But trust me when I say there are survivors out there that do not potato against Spirit and these are the ones you really need to catch quickly.
You need good tracking skills to play Spirit. Learn how to track survivors by any means necessary. Scratches. Blood. Crows. Grass. Footsteps. Cries of pain. Know survivors' pathing. If you hook a survivor and see another on BBQ moving in some direction, you need to know where they will path to intercept them. And you need to be aware that they might try to trick you and know other paths they would take. I've had people call me a hacker (on Xbox BTW LOL) because I just KNEW where the survivors were going and the paths they were taking.
Literally all her add-ons are good. Pick any combination of green add-ons and you should be able to take on most groups. However, speed and duration add-ons are the best of the best. MDR is her strongest add-on, but it removes scratches so you will need to be experienced with tracking as I mention above. Charge add-ons are very good because you can be super aggressive in a chase. Arguably, her worst add-ons are passsive phasing (Juniper/Cherry Blossom) but even these add-ons have value against good loopers. If you use one of these you can beat most safe loops without even needing to use your power. Father's Glasses are also not super good, BUT if used as an anti-stealth tool they are very good. You'd probably want to combo it with Sloppy Butcher though, just to make it easier.
All standard good killer perks are good for her. Take your pick really.
A good starter build would be something like BBQ, Pop, Nurse's, Sloppy. That's a pretty basic Spirit build. If you really want to slow the game, go for Sloppy, Thana, Dying Light, Ruin (or a tracking perk of choice).
My current build is IMO the most overpowered build in the game. Stridor, Shadowborn, Ruin, Surveillance, MDR, Amulet. MDR + Amulet let's you cover SOOOOO much distance it's insane (almost 70m). Just these add-ons alone put your map pressure to god tier levels. Stridor/Shadow makes it almost impossible to hide from you in any situation. Ruin/Surv is an extremely potent combo and when you factor in that super crazy high map pressure it means you just need to phase near a gen to stop it, as survivors will start running when they hear the woosh, which then you see the gen turn white from Surv so you know they were there. And with Stridor/Shadow you WILL find them. I've run this build maybe 10 times by now, and every single game has been 4k 4/5 gen. I got a 5 gen perfect game on Rotten Fields, and a 4 gen basement party on Ormond. This build is insane. Only 1 group got to the gates and it is 100% my fault for chasing a Dwelf WAY longer than I should have. I couldn't help it, he was so whimsical and #########, I just had to chase him for 3 gens LOL. To his credit he did an absolute amazing job running from me. He just predicted everything perfectly. Still got a 3k though, and they never got the gates open (and yes I caught Dwelf). I could have even slugged for a 4k but I just let Kate hatch because they earned it. I didn't feel like dragging out the game any more.
Only if you are not used to Stridor. Once you get familiar with it, you can pinpoint survivors from any distance where you can hear their cries of pain. I can literally track you through corn and structures just by sound because of Stridor.
You will also see scratches and hear footsteps, which you can use to nail down the survivors exact position.
Idk, I played with it for quite a long peroid of time, I did worse with it tbh. I didn't just tried it out for a few matches, I played with it for at least 100 hours. Maybe that's just me but I find a lot of people saying the same thing about Stridor when they play as the Spirit.
To each their own, if you benefit from another perk than you can ditch Stridor and just use that perk instead.
These are just general meta builds though that most people use at High-Level play, it entirely up to you to keep getting better with the perk, but if you don't think it's possible or you firmly believe it just hinders you than you can just toss it for something else that benefits your play-style.
I've started to play Spirit since rank reset, I'm currently really struggling going against good survivors. I'm losing the majority of my mind games and struggling with tracking when against good survivors.
Although dominate and steam roll against average/medicore average survivors.
My biggest challenge at the moment is that I'm a very competitive person and I hate losing, so losing games when I know would probably would have won if I was playing as one of my mains is frustrating (I use to be a semi professional hockey player when I was at University, I'm naturally a competitive person).
EDIT: I'm really liking save the best for last on spirit though. I'm going to try and unlock Stridor as I think I'll need it.
Practice makes perfect my man, sometimes a game is just unwinnable with what you're given and the skill-set of the Survivors you face, but that doesn't mean you can't 1k, 2k, or even 3k if you pull of some omega brain plays.
I understand how you feel though, I too take pride as a Killer main and loath getting a 4 man escape on me, a 1k is good enough to me but a 4 man escape lets me know that I still have much to learn, even with 1.7k hours almost.
After this weeks Rank Reset with the influx of old insanely good players coming in, I learned that the meta has changed since the Ruin rework and requires a lot more fast paced game-play to stand on-top, sometimes losing 3 gens at once is unnerving and makes you waver as the Killer, but it's actually good to monitor less Generator on the map, especially if those Generators are fairly close to each other.
Overall, with the guides I gave and videos with enough practice, you should start to get the hang of it eventually. We were all new at some point in-game, nobody starts out as a god-tier Survivor/Killer.
Thank you, i was actually a rank 1 killer before rank reset. For nearly two years I just played Hillbilly and Leatherface, occassionally Myers and Hag. Only recently I started to try and get adept with the other killers.
I've gotten good with new Doctor (He's my new main) and Freddy, but Spirit is by far the hardest killer I've tried learning.
I wouldn't really say "i'm deranking", especially on the forums...
But I wish you the best of luck in your practice!