What if using a key on a hatch activated a lockpicking minigame like in fallout/Skyrim or whatever?

It would be a minor nerf to keys but at the same time not render them useless.

Maybe you had to complete a set of 3 minigames to open the hatch.

I just think when they end up getting nerfed they'll be useless just like some of the other things they've done that to.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Make the lockpick like oblivion or kingdom come deliverance then so only the skilled get hatch while the peasants get nothing but hook up the anus

  • I doubt the devs would start putting minigames into the game. I can see that they'll make it a 10 second interaction or you have to complete a couple skillchecks skillchecks, so survivors can't open hatch in the face of killers.

  • Yes a channel time would be nice but it would still open for the entire team.

  • How about only 1 minigame and only you can jump through the hatch? If not then I like the idea. Better than keys being a free instant escape for 2-3 survivors.

  • @Spooky13 said:

    How about only 1 minigame and only you can jump through the hatch? If not then I like the idea. Better than keys being a free instant escape for 2-3 survivors.

    I like that

  • That would be something interesting, I'd have to test it myself, but the concept sounds pretty cool. I've always had a soft spot for lock picking systems in Bethedsa games and Dying Light.

    That mechanic would be a cool thing to see on DbD's hatch and maybe chests.

    It would be a lot more interactive than holding M1

  • I forgot to mention that when you fail a lockpick minigame you get trash talked by a bad voice actor of a generic medieval guy.

  • Another idea I had was

    When a survivor activates the lockpicking sequence the killer is notified that the hatch is being broken into. The killer gets a audio queue (no aura/visual indication of where the hatch is). Imagine the inception fog horn for example.

    The killer then has 30 seconds to find the hatch to push the survivor away from it thus wasting the one survivors time.

    30 seconds is a assumption that a lockpick minigame would take around 30+ seconds to open.

    Add ons could delay the killers audio queue by half or whatever depending on rarity.

  • using a key should take time not be instant.

    It should triggers 3 skillchecks and if you fail, the key break.

  • @Adeloo said:

    using a key should take time not be instant.

    It should triggers 3 skillchecks and if you fail, the key break.

    All right, same for moris, though. If you fail the skill checks you can't mori that survivor

  • 3 seconds channel would be nice for a start.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1020771#Comment_1020771

    Whats funny about all the aura reading in this game is that the killer doesn’t have any aura perk or offering whatsoever for the hatch (survivors have Bill’s perk) or any kind of notification. Isn’t that odd? Almost every aspect of this game gives both sides some kind of notification or aura, even crows if you do nothing or AFK, yet the hatch? Nothing. No sounds of it even being worked on (I don’t think) like someone searching a chest.

    So yes I agree 100% that the hatch needs a notification and sounds associated with it that lets Killer hear it is attempting to be opened with a key.

    The hatch is not the entity's tool. Killers have no power over it lore wise.

  • The devs took away ruin skill checks because survivors couldn't hit them. No way they add anything to make the hatch actually hard to get.

  • Sounds good but the problem would be that survivors would then cry for moris to be nerfed so if keys get reworked then so do moris.

    Wouldn’t really matter for me personally as I don’t use moris but some people do

  • I'm not a fan of giving them more time to use such as this as it just gives the killer more time to find them and remove its use just for walking around and finding the hatch.

    Imagine if using a mori it didn't work if another survivor could see you. It's the same in principle as finding a survivor on a hatch removes its use.

    Maybe just make it so you have to do actively something like hitting a survivor to stop a key from being used for 30s and a mori can be interrupted with a blinding item for 30s. This way both have some counter by the other side but also are strong when used in a smart way as they will still work.

    I do think they should first and foremost be made a lot more rare. They should be set spawns in bloodwebs imo like one in 20 or 25.

    Due to the change in the rarity of pink items/offerings I also think slight changes could be made to the purple key so it can can only be used by the person who opened it to escape and the hatch won't open again for 30s even if the egc is active to stop it opening automatically and the last two escaping.

    I'd rather keep the strength of them while adding a little counter to them at the same time.

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1020854#Comment_1020854

    All right, same for moris, though. If you fail the skill checks you can't mori that survivor

    Moris arent the same as keys.

    A killer cannot mori more than survivor at the same time while a key can allow all survivors to escape.

    Using a key doesn't require anything but finding the hatch and use M1.

    While to mori the killer has to find a survivor, catch him, put him on hook, and find the survivor again when he got unhooked.

    I actually think my key suggestion would be perfectly balanced if you tweaked mori like this :

    • if a survivor didn't get to use Decisive Strike and the killer tries to mori them, they get stun and the survivor go from downed to injured and cannot use DS anymore
  • Always the comparison to Mori's, we are talking Keys here people, stay on subject.