Does Demo really need a cooldown on his warp? Let's discuss.
I know how much the devs like slapping cooldown timers on killer powers nowadays, but I feel like it's not necessary on Demogorgon.
First, how does his mobility work? It requires you to set up portals. Those portals can be destroyed by Survivors. You have a limited amount and cannot remove them yourself. He is very loud and survivors get plenty of notice when he travels. Long cooldown.
So, let's compare his mobility to other killers.
- Billy - No cooldown. Very loud. No setup required. Can traverse the map very quickly, only a bit slower than demogorgon in most cases. Does not ignore obstacles.
- Nurse - Very short cooldown. No setup required. Can traverse the map pretty quickly, though not as quick as billy or demo after the rework. Ignores obstacles and is very powerful in chase. Not too loud while charging, so some survivors might be caught off guard.
- Freddy - Long cooldown, but can be shortened by keeping survivors asleep. No setup required. Survivors know when he is using his power. Can be faked. Can be used in chase (for examples, teleporting where the survivor is going, or using it on a shack gen while looping the shack).
- Hag - No cooldown. Requires setup. Survivors have to trigger the traps. Survivors can destroy the traps with flashlights or trigger them at inopportune times (such as when you're carrying another survivor). Can be used in chase. You have a limited amount total, but you can remove old traps easily by placing new ones.
So, here's what I would like to point out:
- 3/4 of these killers have little to no cooldown on their power (Except Freddy, whose cooldown varies depending on how many survivors are asleep).
- All of these killers can use their power in chase. Demogorgon cannot do this without being too obvious. Freddy can not only use his power in chase but also has a secondary power to use in chase.
- Only 1 of these killers (Hag) requires setup.
Why do I think Demogorgon shouldn't have a cooldown? I just think it's silly to have to sit on your portal and wait for a cooldown when you want to teleport.
So let's discuss. Do you agree or do you believe there is good reason for the cooldown?
Comments
Needs a cool down due to end game.
You can't just have a demo port from door to door constantly, it's the same reason freddy can't teleport to finished gens.
I just ran Demo from lv1 to lv40, going to eventually P3 once I've worked on my Hag/Myers, and his portal is pretty damn impressive as it stands. It makes it easy to snowball and it really does help put pressure on the map, even the places you aren't porting to.
This might be different at Rank 1, but all game play is different there, but even against high purples and low reds, there were numerous times people pulled off a gen (noting the missed skillchecks), when I ported. Having no cooldown, or even less of a base cooldown, would make this way too powerful.
You have add-ons to do this, and they are really nice to use from my own playing of it. Using the trash Perks RNGesus gave to me, I still managed some really solid games, including quite a few 4k/3k + hatch. Against actual newer players (Rank 15 and under), Demo just destroys them. Going to love getting back to the purples/low reds and playing him eventually. Will make for some fun matches.
Demo has Shred for chases, and imo he is pretty well balanced where he's at right now from what I've played. Got rekt sometimes, rekt the Survivors sometimes, and had some really fun, tense matches sometimes. Without that cooldown though... dear god... being able to immediately teleport back somewhere? Mindgaming portals with 0 cooldown? That would be insanely overpowered.
There has to be a cooldown. As fun as it would be to zip from place to place instantly, it's even too broken for my tastes.
Yes, the Hag's traps have no cooldown, but we have one shot to get to it before it goes away. If we aren't close enough, then all we did was provide a jump scare.
There has to be cooldown or Demo's portals would have no counter if they removed cool down then they'd have to remove Of the Abyss's Killer Instinct Ability even then it would still be too powerful because he can just zip from gate to gate making endgame extremely difficult and the only case endgame should be as difficult as removing the cooldown will make it is when the last survivor failed to escape via hatch
i mean, I would like to see it reduced by a second or two, but removing it completely just seems too strong
You all bring up some good points. However, I would like to note that Billy and Nurse can usually go from door to door with no setup, and Trapper can just set traps right in front of the gates.
Billy has a short cooldown after he finishes chainsawing and also a startup. He also usually has to keep in mind any obstacles in the way. He can almost never chainsaw from 1 exit gate to the other in one sprint, there's almost always something in the way. Nurse has a cooldown and the fatigue at the end of her blink, and Trapper has no mobility and you can just work on both gates at once.
I'm talking about a situation where the hatch is closed and there is one survivor left, which was brought up by the previous commentors.
The only thing I would change is the amount of portals he could put down., or allow him to delete ones which haven't been opened (I.E used to travel and therefore destroy able by the survivors)
They need to fix his body getting stuck on debris during a loop. I wouldn't mind if they just gave him a longer lunge, he has long arms yet his lunge is basically a t-rex lunge.