Ruin is too much RNG (my survivor and killer view)
I generally play about 50-50 survivor killer, I think both sides have their OP perks and get buffs and nerfs so I don’t think I’m “for,” either side. For me though Ruin is one example of how much RNG this game has, almost too much RNG for just one perk.
It can spawn right next to a survivor, or right next to a gen resulting in an early cleanse which is amazing for the survivors and stinks for the killer. It could also spawn in a corner surrounded by dark bushes and not be found all game, which is a death sentence for most mid-low rank survivor teams. Neither side has a clear advantage here.
While it is up I’ve gone through a whole gen solo with literally one skill check! I’ve also had three skill checks back to back at the start of working a gen. Again depending on RNG this can either make Ruin useless or stronger than it should be while up. No clear advantage to either side over the long term.
This isn’t meant to say you should or shouldn’t run ruin, if it’s a crutch etc... just meant to display how much RNG can dictate the game. Depending on ruin placement and checks a killer could play the same team and get either 4 kills or zero.
Comments
I dont really understand how ruin has rng.
The totem spawns are rng, although they are limited. The out of LOS placement is totally bs. I disagreed about no side has a clear advantage. If you know where the totems can spawn as survivor you have the advantage. If it would be pure rng there wouldnt be any reason to remember totem spots.
I think skill checks are really rng and therefore are fine. Although hitting great skill checks is too easy imo.
The problem with ruin is not rng imo. Its overall bad totem spots. For example, when I go into the schools' basement in badham there is always 1 or 2 totems. Thats not rng anymore. You can walk over the map and dont have to search for a lit totem if you know the spots. And its noises are loud af. Its hard to miss it.
The strength of ruin is not the number of skill checks you get. There are many players who cant hit greats everytime or dont want to bother with ruin and run around to find it. That alone is enough to make ruin worth it. And it applies to every survivor from the start.
And yes there are really good squads out there dedicated to gens so much, they dont even care about ruin. Happened to me one time since hag release.
Skill checks can screw people in lots of ways. Survivors getting none vs ruin, or on the other hand getting bombarded by rapid-fire skillchecks when they can't hit them all. Same for getting no skillchecks while using Autodidact or other perks/addons that encourage hitting skillchecks/great skillchecks. It's just how it is and I personally don't mind it.
I'd like to see hex totems appear as dull totems for a limited amount of time at the start of the game. Encourages survivors to actually break dulls in case they're a hidden hex, and also makes it so they can't be 100% certain a given totem is a Hex because they broke it/saw it right after spawning.
Some people fail to realize that even a Ruin that lasts like 40 seconds did some work for them. The time from the start of a match until the killer's first down is where generators are at the highest risk of being done quickly, even a little bit of delay from missed skillchecks, denied bonus progression from great skillchecks and survivors that might go looking for the totem can make a huge difference. Whenever I see people act as if the game is lost or disconnect when Ruin blows up 1m30s into the game or something I roll my eyes so hard I can see the inside of my skull - that totem already did its job when they needed it the most.
I agree, if Ruin gives me two minutes that is HUGE, especially considering most likely at least two survivors were looking for it. This is why even though it can go instantly I still feel it’s better than Corrupt intervention, a perk which many people compare or replace ruin with.
I agree that Ruin should be changed to be more consistent. Killers can use it to ROFLstomp bad survivors, but good survivors will find it immediately or do gens as if ruin wasn't even in play. Maybe if it had a much stronger effect, but had a strict duration, then it would be properly balanced.
Maps should be addressed first, though. But I doubt they will get the attention they deserve.
@T2K at least, when you are used to hit great skill checks, ruin still does its job by preventing the bonus in progression. although that is not much, but it regularly comes to these seconds, if a survivor can commit to a gen and complete it taking a hit or not.
About the rng skillchecks I don't think it is a problem. If you say "no advantage to either side in long term" that should be ok. That's the "high risk high reward" principle. It is wasted when you spawn beneath a totem or in LOS, which should not happen and is, as I understand, on a regular update cycle to improve totem spots. But it is most likely taking very long, until this mechanic works for all maps. Badham, Gideon and Hawkins are actually pretty good, there are just very few obvious totem spots.
They’ve said they’re working on maps, but it’s like one map every mid chapter patch so I think it will take two years to do them all. And that’s IF the changes they make are even better than current state.
yep the updates are just going to take forever, see my last post about them taking approximately two years at their planned pace. Until then killers have to choose whether or not to risk using a perk that may do almost nothing for them. And survivors are faced with the possibility of facing a Ruin lasting all game in the newer maps in some spots which is almost a guaranteed loss for rank 10-20 survivors
Lol at the rate they're going it'll take way longer than 2 years. When was the last one? 6 months ago? That'll be 4 or 5 years at least if they don't start cranking them out. And like you said they might not even be better. They put SO much work into springwood and there's still some ridiculous loops.