Are there plans to change the emblem system?

Title. The emblem system doesn't seem to accurately measure your skill. From my personal experience (And from what I've seen from other people), ranking up as Killer tends to be too difficult, and ranking up as Survivor seems to be too easy. In many cases, Killers will only get a black pip for 3Ks and 4Ks and will frequently depip from 1Ks and 2Ks, while survivors will often be able to get a black pip even when a match goes very poorly, so long as they work on the objectives and occasionally help their teammates.

The end result is that there seems to be a major shortage of red and purple-ranked killers, forcing the matchmaker to match low-ranking killers with high-ranking survivors, while high-ranking survivors are often left with exceedingly long queue times. A less-than-ideal experience for both sides.

Another side effect of this is that, because the game doesn't take ranks into account when evaluating your post-game score, you can easily depip when you were matched against players who were ranked much higher than you, and you had little hope of victory from the beginning. This makes it even more difficult to rank up, as you are not only matched with players who are ranked much higher than you on a regular basis, but are still punished with a depip even when the game was clearly one-sided and it would have been a miracle if you had won. And a hard-fought victory against high-ranking players is counted the same as a one-sided steamroll against low-ranking players.

Also, due to their playstyles and/or powers, some Killers have a much easier time ranking up than others. Legion can often get pips from 2Ks, while the Plague will depip much more often than most killers.

So, in my opinion, the emblem system needs to be re-evaluated. I have a few suggestions:

-Change the ranks to be more akin to a traditional "elo"-like system. This would help prevent players from de-ranking when they were matched up against players who were ranked much higher than them. The elo system takes this into account; if you're beaten by players who are clearly much better than you, you don't lose as much rating. And if you manage to beat players who are ranked much higher than you, you gain more rating.

-Change the conditions for "victory" and "defeat", especially for Killer. You should get a depip if you got 0-1 kills, a black pip if you got 2 kills, one pip if you got 3 kills, and 2 pips if you got 4 kills. It shouldn't matter how you got the kills; it should only matter how many you got.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Monlyth said:

    Title. The emblem system doesn't seem to accurately measure your skill. From my personal experience (And from what I've seen from other people), ranking up as Killer tends to be too difficult, and ranking up as Survivor seems to be too easy. In many cases, Killers will only get a black pip for 3Ks and 4Ks and will frequently depip from 1Ks and 2Ks, while survivors will often be able to get a black pip even when a match goes very poorly, so long as they work on the objectives and occasionally help their teammates.

    The end result is that there seems to be a major shortage of red and purple-ranked killers, forcing the matchmaker to match low-ranking killers with high-ranking survivors, while high-ranking survivors are often left with exceedingly long queue times. A less-than-ideal experience for both sides.

    Another side effect of this is that, because the game doesn't take ranks into account when evaluating your post-game score, you can easily depip when you were matched against players who were ranked much higher than you, and you had little hope of victory from the beginning. This makes it even more difficult to rank up, as you are not only matched with players who are ranked much higher than you on a regular basis, but are still punished with a depip even when the game was clearly one-sided and it would have been a miracle if you had won. And a hard-fought victory against high-ranking players is counted the same as a one-sided steamroll against low-ranking players.

    Also, due to their playstyles and/or powers, some Killers have a much easier time ranking up than others. Legion can often get pips from 2Ks, while the Plague will depip much more often than most killers.

    So, in my opinion, the emblem system needs to be re-evaluated. I have a few suggestions:

    -Change the ranks to be more akin to a traditional "elo"-like system. This would help prevent players from de-ranking when they were matched up against players who were ranked much higher than them. The elo system takes this into account; if you're beaten by players who are clearly much better than you, you don't lose as much rating. And if you manage to beat players who are ranked much higher than you, you gain more rating.

    -Change the conditions for "victory" and "defeat", especially for Killer. You should get a depip if you got 0-1 kills, a black pip if you got 2 kills, one pip if you got 3 kills, and 2 pips if you got 4 kills. It shouldn't matter how you got the kills; it should only matter how many you got.

    They do need to change the ranking system but I doubt they will do a 3k as a pip since it seems their goal for balance is a 2k. The balance shouldn't be you lose... idk how to fix it, I like the Elo style you suggested and it definitely needs to be harder to pip as survivor and easier as killer to make it more balanced.

  • @silverwolf4455 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112836/are-there-plans-to-change-the-emblem-system

    They do need to change the ranking system but I doubt they will do a 3k as a pip since it seems their goal for balance is a 2k. The balance shouldn't be you lose... idk how to fix it, I like the Elo style you suggested and it definitely needs to be harder to pip as survivor and easier as killer to make it more balanced.

    Well, from what I understand, BHVR considers a 2K to be a "tie" and a 3K to be a "win" for the Killer as far as balancing is concerned, so I think the ranking system should reflect that. If your match was a tie, then you don't gain any rank points, but you don't lose any rank points, either.

  • @silverwolf4455 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112836/are-there-plans-to-change-the-emblem-system

    They do need to change the ranking system but I doubt they will do a 3k as a pip since it seems their goal for balance is a 2k. The balance shouldn't be you lose... idk how to fix it, I like the Elo style you suggested and it definitely needs to be harder to pip as survivor and easier as killer to make it more balanced.

    You can't balance around a 2k. There are so many variables that it's an awful system. You balance around top play.

  • @CrowFoxy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/919212#Comment_919212

    You can't balance around a 2k. There are so many variables that it's an awful system. You balance around top play.

    You can balance around an average of 2 kills per game. 2Ks tend to be somewhat rare, due to the snowbally nature of the game, but if you have a 1K for every 3K that happens, then 2K is the average.

  • @CrowFoxy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/919212#Comment_919212

    You can't balance around a 2k. There are so many variables that it's an awful system. You balance around top play.

    Correct


    @CrowFoxy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/919212#Comment_919212

    You can't balance around a 2k. There are so many variables that it's an awful system. You balance around top play.

    I know that but the devs are persistent on not balancing around red rank play. They seem to want to balance around green for some reason. Even tho any other game balances around the top play not middle of the pack.

  • I agree there need to be some adjustments made, although I don't think a return to the Victory Cube system is the answer. Rank should be a reflection of player skill, and so having a ranking system in which a killer who gets every survivor to death hook and a killer who doesn't even get a hit all game are judged as being at the same level seems heavily flawed to me.

    In my opinion, if the devs are toying with the idea of ranking killers on a per-killer basis because each one plays so differently, they should also, by the same logic, consider tweaking the emblem system on a per-killer basis.

  • I hope they tweak it a bit further yeah

    The fact that trapper and oneshot killers bassicly get punished for playing correctly is somewhat silly

  • I could have sworn I saw somewhere that they were going to change some things about the ranking system after the release of Oni. I don't remember if it was a direct post from BHVR or a quote from some other means like Twitter or Discord.

    Don't want to get your hopes up with what could just be a rumor, but maybe someone else recalls the post. It was within the last month.

  • @Fibijean said:

    I agree there need to be some adjustments made, although I don't think a return to the Victory Cube system is the answer. Rank should be a reflection of player skill, and so having a ranking system in which a killer who gets every survivor to death hook and a killer who doesn't even get a hit all game are judged as being at the same level seems heavily flawed to me.

    In my opinion, if the devs are toying with the idea of ranking killers on a per-killer basis because each one plays so differently, they should also, by the same logic, consider tweaking the emblem system on a per-killer basis.

    From what I remember, the old system kept track of hook phases with the first being 1 point and reaching struggle worth 1. A death was worth 2, meaning each survivor was worth 4 points. A killer would get 8 points for having everyone escape on death hook.

  • https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

    I still say the only possible way an Emblem system could work is with killer-specific Emblem weighting, because using the same system for a Clown and Spirit means the system will never, ever be accurate.

    I made this a long time ago as a general idea; https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

  • I think the roadmap says we’re supposed to get some kind of change to the ranking system beginning with the next mid-chapter patch. The current system is ######### terrible, I can’t wait to see what the changes are.

  • @ScottJund said:

    https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

    I still say the only possible way an Emblem system could work is with killer-specific Emblem weighting, because using the same system for a Clown and Spirit means the system will never, ever be accurate.

    I made this a long time ago as a general idea; https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

    Interesting idea. I think it would definitely increase the number of red-ranked and purple-ranked Killers overall and increase the diversity of Killers at the top of the ladder, but I think a lot of people who main high-tier Killers might be upset that they get less credit for achieving the same goals as a low-tier Killer. And you still might see some bizarre situations unfold, where the Killer gets a quick 4K and only gets a black pip out of it.

    In my opinion, the emblem system should measure your performance based mostly on how many gens were finished, and how many hooks you got. Regardless of which killer you're playing, your goal is to kill the survivors and stop them from completing their objective, so I think the emblem system should reflect that. Although you could adjust the weights for Gatekeeper and Devout, based on the Killer you're playing.

    The Malicious and Chaser emblems both seem to be problematic in general, as they will often punish you based on having a certain playstyle or picking a certain killer, and not based on how good you actually are at getting hooks and disrupting the survivors.

  • They said WAY BACK (like right after the survivor emblems got messed with a bit) that they'd be giving the killer ones a pass over soon™.

    As of yet that absolutely has not happened.

    In my opinion, Malicious and Chaser should reward 1.5-2x points for chases ended in one hit using either an instadown ability, or if survivors have been broken more than a minute or two for Plague. That would stop punishing people for using their powers. I don't really think that bonus should extend to one hit down perks as they are optional and should carry the risk that taking the easy way to avoid too many chases will risk your chaser rating. Using powers is an important part of each killer and a skillful display, using perks to halve chases is a matter of ease of life.

    Gatekeeper should lose its skew towards keeping 5 gens alive. To get a solid gatekeeper you need to keep ALL gens unfinished for a minute or two at least, AND finish with at least 1-2+ gens still incomplete. It's not feasible for many of the M1 killers, or when it does happen it's down to survivor stupidity more than killer skill.

    Devout is in a pretty good spot, but I'd prefer if they lowered the required 9 hooks for iridescent down to 8. That prevents penalising people for ignoring one survivor (like, say, the obsession while using PWYF) or if someone quits or gives up on hook #1, in which case you basically need perfect hooks on everyone else without anyone else giving up, or not being saved by an ally that wants hatch. None of which is your failure as killer. 8 hooks is 2 apiece which is plenty to cover not camping excessively.


    In the end, new rank reset is going to force everyone into red ranks anyway, might as well reward them for playing well now regardless.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/919242#Comment_919242

    From what I remember, the old system kept track of hook phases with the first being 1 point and reaching struggle worth 1. A death was worth 2, meaning each survivor was worth 4 points. A killer would get 8 points for having everyone escape on death hook.

    Oh? I thought it was just a matter of kills, but I played barely any killer back then so I could very well be mistaken. All the same, my point stands when it comes to the system OP is proposing.

  • @ScottJund said:

    https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

    I still say the only possible way an Emblem system could work is with killer-specific Emblem weighting, because using the same system for a Clown and Spirit means the system will never, ever be accurate.

    I made this a long time ago as a general idea; https://i.imgur.com/DSxhqW4.jpg

    It's a decent system, but would need more fine tuning than "good killer = harder emblems." I mean look at Hillbilly in that; yes, he's a strong killer and performs well most games, but his power causes him to lose a lot of emblem points in the chaser and malicious emblems for playing WELL.

    He should definitely lose out on the gatekeeper section because he can apply a massive amount of pressure and snowball compared to what is expected early game of every other killer, but he should equally be compensated in his shortcomings of less chases where the rating is based on # of hits and # of chases.

    Similarly Trapper should have much the same bonuses applied, but only in regards to "chases" that happen through traps. He plays well and a survivor across the map gets trapped and then hooked, but afaik that only counts as a hit for malicious.

    Also, not that I'm encouraging its existence or use, but Iridescent heads is also an interesting case, (and I guess Pinky Finger) where a killer just using their own add ons sacrifices a huge amount of their emblems by turning their default chase hit into a one-hit down which loses them a huge amount of emblems. Let's not even go into the emblem fiasco that is tombstone Myers. Do they all get modified emblem scoring for specific add on builds?