Balance Discussion: Limiting SWF

I had this random idea and I wanted to just hear the communities opinion and to be open minded to each others points of view on it.

What if we limited SWF to 2 players per group and left SWFs with 4 players to a kill your friends. It seems to me that a lot of balance problems with the game revolve around 4 top tier survivors going against a single killer because survivors have such a high skill cap, aswell as the amount of communication survivors have with one another.

For example, if in a 4 man survive with friends one person is using object of obsession and communicates where the killer is at all times then its 4 people constantly knowing where they are while the killer can only see one of them. This level of communication gives a big edge.

In my own personal experience as queueing in a SWF with just me and one of my friends who are decent players at the game I've felt like the games were more fun and balanced. (We also don't communicate with mics). We are both red ranks. I could tell the killers had more fun playing against a balanced team and we all got an equal amount of points.


To conclude I also think if this change were made it would make sense to balance other aspects aswell to adapt to this dynamic, considering it essentially puts a skill cap on a survivor team.


I dont feel insanely biased about this being implemented I was just curious how other people feel and wanted to put my personal experience out there.

Comments

  • But what IS the definition of “beat” for you?

    killing all 4? Killing more than 1? Pipping at least once??

  • All they need is an action speed decrease the more friends you have. It won't affect solo's and people can still play with their friends but it makes it more fair to the killer

  • @terumisan said:

    All they need is an action speed decrease the more friends you have. It won't affect solo's and people can still play with their friends but it makes it more fair to the killer

    WOAH. Imagine that with perks that tremendously slow the game down: Ruin (kinda) Thanat w Sloppy, etc…

  • @prettyf said:

    im 100% solo player but controlling numbers of swf is just being selfish and stupid

    because they just tied up with friends theres nothing wrong

    just nerf their repair speed 10% at 2,3,4 members

    10, 15, and 20 sounds better balanced though

  • @xRem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/831046#Comment_831046

    Then limit them, this idea that having perks built in is balanced is ridiculous. In a swf you have every survivor information perk built in, and this means you have 4 second chance perks or game clutch perks. Imagine if killers had built in bbq, whispers, discordance or nurses just because of how they qued up.

    my god dude do you also try to get pro athletes “toned down” because they have access to the comms of the staff during games? its like asking for their tounges to be cut out before the game. its a horrible excuse. just get better

  • @HamdaN said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/831943#Comment_831943

    my god dude do you also try to get pro athletes “toned down” because they have access to the comms of the staff during games? its like asking for their tounges to be cut out before the game. its a horrible excuse. just get better

    Dont even understand that analogy for 1,

    It's a game not a sport and it's a game where perks that are equipped and could be replaced with perks that could win games.

    And if you see spirit Just get better lul, see how that works? I mean if you see prayer beads spirit just player better right?

    I didn't ask for their tounges to be cut off, I asked for them to be balanced, they have multiple perks built in just because. Imagine if killers had perks built in, pop, ruin, bbq or any other top tier perk just built in because of how they qued.

    Play better lol

  • @Umbrae_pk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/832421#Comment_832421

    WOAH. Imagine that with perks that tremendously slow the game down: Ruin (kinda) Thanat w Sloppy, etc…

    Yea but swf has the advantage of coordination they need some type of downside that they can't circumvent

  • I gave one idea, Im not sure. You cant buff Solo to equal Swf.

    But how about...you can add 1 more perks for +1man in SWF? Killer gets 5 perks for 2men SWF, 7 for full team SWF

  • @mistar_z said:

    Can't deny that SWF breaks the game the same way we can't deny that SWF has helped the game gain its popularity. Without SWF the game probably wouldn't have gotten off as well as it did.

    The only real way to balance out the mess that SWF brought into the game is by acknowledging that IS an easy mode that allow friends to share information together that someone who plays alone has to load multiple loadouts worth of perks for something they can get for free using a third party program. Not to mention the amount of killer perks and tactics that can get easily called out and made null by giving each other this information.

    This makes games very swinggy and dramatic enough between swf and none swf mtces.

    The game's made strive to reduce the gap between the two by "buffing" one survivor perk a year lol, when a more easy solution would just to let everyone try out to MANUALLY OP-IN to voice coms. Off by default, but you can turn on if you'd like. Like in Destiny 2. Games would be more consistent between the two and we can actually make perks work for both sides. Instead of it being useless for the killer if survivor has them.

    @mistar_z

    I wouldn’t call SWF “Easy” maybe “Coordinated” and sometimes even SWF becomes a hinderance because you’re trying to explain something to a teammate and wasting time while doing so.

    I can’t even count how many times I’ve heard “I thought you said he was on you!” While playing with friends.

    At the end of the day skill trumps SWF, if you have no skill no amount of communication is going to help you outplay/outrun the killer. If the killer is bad he/she was already doomed from the start. Same with survivors.

  • Yeah SWF is a joke. Nowadays I just stop playing killer til reset once I get into the purple/red ranks. A good SWF team is absolutely broken and really needs to be addressed

  • @MeatBycicle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/831699#Comment_831699

    Maybe in brown - purple. I'd say 70% of SWF in red ranks are super sweaty try hard.

    80% of red rank players are sweaty tryhards, that's why they're in the red ranks, they care that much, both sides are gonna be sweaty SWF or not, red rank players are the toxic ones most of the time so its a moot point, the real point is a good killer has no need to be afraid of SWF, the info they can share is pretty negligible most times and SWF are more likely to sacrifice themselves for a friend so i see no real downside

  • The dbd devs put themselves into a hole where they introduced SWF due to popular demand but didnt think in the long run how communication would give such a distinct advantage over killers and solo players.

    Now because of how the system has been for so long. Swf players see any nerf as punishment for something theyve had the benefit of for so long. Rather then seeing it as balance for the game.

    I dont think limiting swf to groups of 2 would work. They just need to put in a voice communication system into the game. Then give the killer some tweaks to detection and chase. Like lower terror radius or red glow or lower chase music.

  • @PandaChris said:

    The dbd devs put themselves into a hole where they introduced SWF due to popular demand but didnt think in the long run how communication would give such a distinct advantage over killers and solo players.

    Now because of how the system has been for so long. Swf players see any nerf as punishment for something theyve had the benefit of for so long. Rather then seeing it as balance for the game.

    I dont think limiting swf to groups of 2 would work. They just need to put in a voice communication system into the game. Then give the killer some tweaks to detection and chase. Like lower terror radius or red glow or lower chase music.

    They needed to lower the chase music for a long time I can barely hear footsteps with how loud the music is

  • @HamdaN said:

    restrict people from playing with their friends and this game dies. ur idea is cool but its unrealistic for a video game thats marginally competitive. look at leauge for example, ranks are split between duo/full squad because its competitive. as of right now dbd is not so it just cant happen

    I saw nothing wrong with 4 man teams being forced to play KYF, they can play as a team and maybe leave the toxic crap out of the game since they will be playing another friend.

    Why does it have to be a 4 friend premade ROFL stomping some random guy who just wants to play the game. Or its just not fun for the SWF.

    SWF limited to 2 seems fine. It definately would take take the unfairness out of swf for the killers.

  • It's Survive with Friends not Survive with some 13 year old who is gonna tell me I suck the whole game. I don't need him to tell me that. I already know.

    I'm solo 90% of the time. When I get some friends to play it's a treat. But we all suck and it's a laugh to play.

    Anyway you slice it, the game is based on isolation and swf breaks that but if it is as bad as everyone lets on it will get addressed.

    And, like every thread in here, it doesn't matter what your experience is.

    The plural of anecdote is not data.

  • @jakesotto said:

    I had this random idea and I wanted to just hear the communities opinion and to be open minded to each others points of view on it.

    What if we limited SWF to 2 players per group and left SWFs with 4 players to a kill your friends. It seems to me that a lot of balance problems with the game revolve around 4 top tier survivors going against a single killer because survivors have such a high skill cap, aswell as the amount of communication survivors have with one another.

    For example, if in a 4 man survive with friends one person is using object of obsession and communicates where the killer is at all times then its 4 people constantly knowing where they are while the killer can only see one of them. This level of communication gives a big edge.

    In my own personal experience as queueing in a SWF with just me and one of my friends who are decent players at the game I've felt like the games were more fun and balanced. (We also don't communicate with mics). We are both red ranks. I could tell the killers had more fun playing against a balanced team and we all got an equal amount of points.

    To conclude I also think if this change were made it would make sense to balance other aspects aswell to adapt to this dynamic, considering it essentially puts a skill cap on a survivor team.

    I dont feel insanely biased about this being implemented I was just curious how other people feel and wanted to put my personal experience out there.

    This is such a bad idea I'm half expecting you to come out and say 'joking.' the only fun part about this game for many people is playing with their friends, take that away and I along with half the playerbase disappears

  • Super easy fix.

    Automatically pair SWF groups against higher-rank killers, scale it based on the ranks of the survivors. So 3 people all at 16 would go against a 12 or 13 rank killer, for example. Stop scaling at high enough levels, around 8 or so.

    And no matter what, any SWF group should be in a lobby based on their highest member. Three rank 20's and a rank 1? Rank 1 killer.

  • For the sake of the lively hood of the game, no just no.

  • @jakesotto said:

    I had this random idea and I wanted to just hear the communities opinion and to be open minded to each others points of view on it.

    What if we limited SWF to 2 players per group and left SWFs with 4 players to a kill your friends. It seems to me that a lot of balance problems with the game revolve around 4 top tier survivors going against a single killer because survivors have such a high skill cap, aswell as the amount of communication survivors have with one another.

    For example, if in a 4 man survive with friends one person is using object of obsession and communicates where the killer is at all times then its 4 people constantly knowing where they are while the killer can only see one of them. This level of communication gives a big edge.

    In my own personal experience as queueing in a SWF with just me and one of my friends who are decent players at the game I've felt like the games were more fun and balanced. (We also don't communicate with mics). We are both red ranks. I could tell the killers had more fun playing against a balanced team and we all got an equal amount of points.

    To conclude I also think if this change were made it would make sense to balance other aspects aswell to adapt to this dynamic, considering it essentially puts a skill cap on a survivor team.

    I dont feel insanely biased about this being implemented I was just curious how other people feel and wanted to put my personal experience out there.

    Awful idea, from start to finish

  • @xRem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/832479#Comment_832479

    Dont even understand that analogy for 1,

    It's a game not a sport and it's a game where perks that are equipped and could be replaced with perks that could win games.

    And if you see spirit Just get better lul, see how that works? I mean if you see prayer beads spirit just player better right?

    I didn't ask for their tounges to be cut off, I asked for them to be balanced, they have multiple perks built in just because. Imagine if killers had perks built in, pop, ruin, bbq or any other top tier perk just built in because of how they qued.

    Play better lol

    Git gud lol baby player gg eazy I play spirit because im gud

  • No. Just no.

    The game is not even meant to be competitive, regardless of how many people see it that way, and not all SWFs are tryhards or don't always perfectly work together and win. It's a casual game, people have more than just one friend they want to play with, people want to be able to talk and laugh with their friends while playing, etc. If you want a competitive DbD game, go make your own and disallow SWF entirely.

    I don't want to be told "Sorry, you can't have an online social life because killers are sweaty for a 4k every single round."

    I don't think the game should cater to killers like that, not saying it should cater to survivors either (hence needing balance) but it's a casual game. Take a chill pill and relax. Let friends play with friends, you can't always win. So sorry.

  • @jakesotto said:

    I had this random idea and I wanted to just hear the communities opinion and to be open minded to each others points of view on it.

    What if we limited SWF to 2 players per group and left SWFs with 4 players to a kill your friends. It seems to me that a lot of balance problems with the game revolve around 4 top tier survivors going against a single killer because survivors have such a high skill cap, aswell as the amount of communication survivors have with one another.

    For example, if in a 4 man survive with friends one person is using object of obsession and communicates where the killer is at all times then its 4 people constantly knowing where they are while the killer can only see one of them. This level of communication gives a big edge.

    In my own personal experience as queueing in a SWF with just me and one of my friends who are decent players at the game I've felt like the games were more fun and balanced. (We also don't communicate with mics). We are both red ranks. I could tell the killers had more fun playing against a balanced team and we all got an equal amount of points.

    To conclude I also think if this change were made it would make sense to balance other aspects aswell to adapt to this dynamic, considering it essentially puts a skill cap on a survivor team.

    I dont feel insanely biased about this being implemented I was just curious how other people feel and wanted to put my personal experience out there.

    People like to play games with their friends and what’s bad about this is a kyf only works well if you have 5 people not 4 because there’s only 3 to kill and you don’t make any points from it you don’t eat any xp or achievements from it so you’re restricting the game for a lot of people who will only leave it and then their friends would leave it then their friends friends so you see where I’m going with this

  • @jakesotto said:

    I had this random idea and I wanted to just hear the communities opinion and to be open minded to each others points of view on it.

    What if we limited SWF to 2 players per group and left SWFs with 4 players to a kill your friends. It seems to me that a lot of balance problems with the game revolve around 4 top tier survivors going against a single killer because survivors have such a high skill cap, aswell as the amount of communication survivors have with one another.

    For example, if in a 4 man survive with friends one person is using object of obsession and communicates where the killer is at all times then its 4 people constantly knowing where they are while the killer can only see one of them. This level of communication gives a big edge.

    In my own personal experience as queueing in a SWF with just me and one of my friends who are decent players at the game I've felt like the games were more fun and balanced. (We also don't communicate with mics). We are both red ranks. I could tell the killers had more fun playing against a balanced team and we all got an equal amount of points.

    To conclude I also think if this change were made it would make sense to balance other aspects aswell to adapt to this dynamic, considering it essentially puts a skill cap on a survivor team.

    I dont feel insanely biased about this being implemented I was just curious how other people feel and wanted to put my personal experience out there.

    Wow the same thing that's in several threads won't happen the game would die

  • I truly can not comprehend the entitlement of killers in this game. I think a lot of you need to go play as survivor for a little while because you act like survivor in a group makes you invulnerable to damage or something. I thought when i switched to playing as a killer main that i was going to have a whole new perspective on the game and finally understand where some of this survivor hate was coming from. Nope. Killers have a significant advantage over survivors. You are literally an unkillable murder machine. Survivors are never guaranteed an escape but if i want a kill as killer i have every tool at my disposal to make that happen. Red hatchet mori huntress. The spirit in general. Tunneling and camping survivors. And now you want to argue that survivors queueing together is overpowered? That's just nuts. I couldn't even imagine this thought process being entertained on any other games forum, let alone being supported. Hell, i cant read a post about reworking moris without a killer commentating "WhAT AbOUt KeYs?!!" Like they are even comparable. Just stop. Play the game and have some fun. If you cant do that as an unstoppable killer like i did then its not the survivors fault.

  • @HamdaN said:

    restrict people from playing with their friends and this game dies. ur idea is cool but its unrealistic for a video game thats marginally competitive. look at leauge for example, ranks are split between duo/full squad because its competitive. as of right now dbd is not so it just cant happen

    U must sweat over your keyboard if you’re trying to be competitive while playing. SWF is c a n c e r. You get harassed if you kill them, or if you lose. And I can tell you right now, the game would NOT die whatsoever.

  • @Saitamfed said:

    There is a problem with this. Not every SWF teams are sweaty. Even if they are full of meta perks, some of the SWF teams are not even good.

    What we need is:

    Map reworks so the killer won't be stuck in infinites anymore (a change in the killer shack coudl be good, perhaps removing the pallet and the window there).

    Rework or buff/nerf some meta perks like "Adrenaline".

    Voice comms are not what makes SWF good, is knowing each other, their strenghts, their personal skills is what makes it great.

    While i agree with what you say... Changing the shack is not a good idea infact its not even that good. God loops are getting looked at but shack is fine.also adrenalin is fine right now and most of the times is situatinol.

  • @nota10yearoldcrybaby said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/831046#Comment_831046

    U must sweat over your keyboard if you’re trying to be competitive while playing. SWF is c a n c e r. You get harassed if you kill them, or if you lose. And I can tell you right now, the game would NOT die whatsoever.

    Bahahahaha...... Oh your not kidding. If this happened over half the player base would leave just because some people on the forums Said "oh you want to play with your freinds well if your over 2 people you go into a custom match". Dude play solo q and you'll see absolute hell. People shouldn't be denied to play with friends. They want to play together and earn points so let them be. Chill and take a break if your brain is seriously this fried over this.

  • @nicknack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/832039#Comment_832039

    While i agree with what you say... Changing the shack is not a good idea infact its not even that good. God loops are getting looked at but shack is fine.also adrenalin is fine right now and most of the times is situatinol.

    Uhmm. Did you notice that my comment is half a year old? And yes, adrenaline is situational if you play solo. If you play in SWF you can know beforehand when adrenaline is becoming active (specially if you go in a 4 SWF team). A 15 second timer as an example would improve the experience for killers. There are times that a survivor in a SWF will do something risky just because they know that the last gen will pop up in no time, just to escape in front of the killer eyes.

    Adrenaline is unfair because it rewards you by insta-healing yourself and running at 150% per five seconds. Meaning it has two effects, and let's suppose you play inmersively, meaning you barely touch the gens, you get a reward for something that your team did, not you.

  • I don’t know what SWF means.

    But, I can say this: communication with certain people is a detriment to the game and the spirit of the game.

    Youre SUPPOSED to feel isolated and alone against a deranged killer. I love the fact that there is no talking, and you can only communicate with two gestures.

    Other than that, it’s just an out of game team up to feel good about yourself and try to get one over on the other people.

    It’s not fair to the other survivors and it’s certainly not fair to the person playing the killer. It’s an unfair advantage.

    I have no problems with team ups, body blocking, and other things like that, that are within the game and within the spirit of the game. But a third party com system, just to gain and outside advantage, in my opinion, just isn’t cool

1 2 ›