BHVR, your statement about "~70hrs needed to unlock whole rift" is not true.

We know that completing Tome 1 gives you 93 fragments.

Tome IV, from leaks, gives you 85 fragments, so 178 fragments in total.

Lets be generous and say that Tome 2 and 3 give you 111 fragments each, so 222 in total (which equals to 400 fragments= 40 tiers), which i know is highballing, there is no way they will give you 111 each.

That leaves us with 300 fragments needed for 30 tiers in order to complete the rift. Since 800xp= 1 fragment, and 1xp = 1second spent IN MATCH, that sums us to about 66.6hrs spent in MATCHES to earn 30 tiers, even with highballing Tome 2 and 3 rewards.

So yeah, it is pretty close to 70hours, but thats only time spent in matches, assuming every match is pitch perfect, netting exactly 600xp (hard cap) and then ending, giving you 1 fragment every 13.3minutes, which we all know is not the case.

When you include all the "bad matches" as well as waiting to find lobby, waiting for match to start, waiting to load etc, you are looking at a solid 25-30min / fragment, which is about 125-150hours needed to complete the rift at BEST, and thats only if you complete all of the challenges, and Tome 2/3 give you 222fragments in total.


BHVR, Archives are awesome concept and are adding much needed and fan wanted lore to the game, Rift holds many cool cosmetics,please do not let the grind ruin it for many of us.


Cheers.

Comments

  • Money is all they care in the end, i highly doubt they’ll reduce the grind.

  • @YaiPa said:

    Money is all they care in the end, i highly doubt they’ll reduce the grind.

    One can only hope this is not true. All we can do is give our feedback.

  • @Malkoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/826571#Comment_826571

    One can only hope this is not true. All we can do is give our feedback.

    Feedbacks about grinding decrease were already given during the PTB, just sayin, you can come up with the conclusions.

  • Noone will reduce the grind=noone get the premium track. Ez

  • @YaiPa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/826604#Comment_826604

    Feedbacks about grinding decrease were already given during the PTB, just sayin, you can come up with the conclusions.

    True. But its not too late to reconsider this. Not as many people played PTB as they do live version.

  • They don't want you to finish the rift. That means they don't have to pay for the next rift. So making it very hard to complete means the cash rolls in either from buying tiers or from not being able to finish it so they have to pay for the next rift... again.

  • @Malkoth said:

    We know that completing Tome 1 gives you 93 fragments.

    Tome IV, from leaks, gives you 85 fragments, so 178 fragments in total.

    Lets be generous and say that Tome 2 and 3 give you 111 fragments each, so 222 in total (which equals to 400 fragments= 40 tiers), which i know is highballing, there is no way they will give you 111 each.

    That leaves us with 300 fragments needed for 30 tiers in order to complete the rift. Since 800xp= 1 fragment, and 1xp = 1second spent IN MATCH, that sums us to about 66.6hrs spent in MATCHES to earn 30 tiers, even with highballing Tome 2 and 3 rewards.

    So yeah, it is pretty close to 70hours, but thats only time spent in matches, assuming every match is pitch perfect, netting exactly 600xp (hard cap) and then ending, giving you 1 fragment every 13.3minutes, which we all know is not the case.

    When you include all the "bad matches" as well as waiting to find lobby, waiting for match to start, waiting to load etc, you are looking at a solid 25-30min / fragment, which is about 125-150hours needed to complete the rift at BEST, and thats only if you complete all of the challenges, and Tome 2/3 give you 222fragments in total.

    BHVR, Archives are awesome concept and are adding much needed and fan wanted lore to the game, Rift holds many cool cosmetics,please do not let the grind ruin it for many of us.

    Cheers.

    and to add some of those challenges seem impossible

  • I personally am working on tier 25? I think I am. Between 21-25. However, I do find that it’s a pain of a grind since I finished tomb 1. Perhaps if it gave you a shard each game you played. I think I’ll be able to finish it but it’ll take about 150-200 hours if we’re being realistic with matchmaking, bad games, good games that are 20 minutes long, with bad games that only last a few minutes cause someone’s totem was found in the first 30 seconds, errors, crashing, and the bad loading times.

  • @YaiPa said:

    Money is all they care in the end, i highly doubt they’ll reduce the grind.

    Precisely. If you're a person capable of playing 3-6 hours per day, you'll beat the Rift no problem. Behavior's just banking on those that play 1 or less hour per day to give in and open their wallets to buy tiers.

    Game's lacking so much that we take for granted but at least we have yet another predatory battle pass.

  • @se05239 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/826571#Comment_826571

    Precisely. If you're a person capable of playing 3-6 hours per day, you'll beat the Rift no problem. Behavior's just banking on those that play 1 or less hour per day to give in and open their wallets to buy tiers.

    Game's lacking so much that we take for granted but at least we have yet another predatory battle pass.

    Then they should atleast be honest with their statements. Claiming that something takes "an hour a day to finish" -MCote's words, for 70days, while it easily takes more than double what was claimed is simply scummy.

  • @Malkoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/826893#Comment_826893

    Then they should atleast be honest with their statements. Claiming that something takes "an hour a day to finish" -MCote's words, for 70days, while it easily takes more than double what was claimed is simply scummy.

    Its probably true that it takes "an hour per day" to finish but they're definitely thinking of IN-TRIAL time.. aka, excluding waiting in queues for games. For an hour of in-trial gameplay I guess you'll have to slap on another hour minimum depending on queue times.

  • An hour per day for 140 days, but the rift only lasts for 70. 🤔

  • About 4 hours a day from day one to complete? Its doable. But good luck to 95% of people who have lives and/or don't have the perseverance to play the same game

    every. Single. Day.

    for more than 2 months.

  • I think you can do it in 70 hours as that is optimal and also not taking into account real life. So it IS accurate but it is what it is

  • @se05239 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/826993#Comment_826993

    Its probably true that it takes "an hour per day" to finish but they're definitely thinking of IN-TRIAL time.. aka, excluding waiting in queues for games. For an hour of in-trial gameplay I guess you'll have to slap on another hour minimum depending on queue times.

    Exactly. It is doable in 70hrs IN-TRIAL time. That is waaay off the actual time needed to complete.

  • It is still around ~70 hours optimal or not. They're not going to account you having a bad match or something.

  • @LushyBunny said:

    It is still around ~70 hours optimal or not. They're not going to account you having a bad match or something.

    So they should not account loading times, searching for lobby, lobby waiting time, waiting time to exit a match, etc ? Those alone add extra 50ish hours.

  • @Malkoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/827422#Comment_827422

    So they should not account loading times, searching for lobby, lobby waiting time, waiting time to exit a match, etc ? Those alone add extra 50ish hours.

    50? What are you playing on a toaster? Idk what you guys are on about. I'm tier 67.and I only bought 10 tiers.

  • No one should buy the premium rift pass until you know you have what you want unlocked. Just play like normal, wait until the last day and see how far you got. Then decide if it is worth your money. I doubt I will make it close to level 70, but if I can get far enough to get 70% to 80% of the auric cells back then I will probably get it. No need to make this game into more of a grind than it already is, especially since it is just for cosmetics.

  • When it takes longer to find a lobby than to play a match there's definitely something wrong.

    Just look at how long Console loading screens are, pc can load you into a match in seconds, Console is at least a minute per loading screen.

    I'm just waiting for the next tome to be released so I can complete it. It's just too draining Binge playing match to match to match.

  • @LushyBunny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/827455#Comment_827455

    50? What are you playing on a toaster? Idk what you guys are on about. I'm tier 67.and I only bought 10 tiers.

    Lol bruh do you not see this irony?

  • Breaking News: Grindy game is grindy

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Would be better off just removing the auric cells and omitting the tiers said auric cells are in.

    People can complete the rift. Doesn't have much grinding. BHVR makes money. Everyone's happy.

    The addition of the auric cells has done nothing but provide filler for the actual rewards (auric cells are like a good 15 or 20 rift tiers at least) and increase the longevity of the grind.

    The Auric Cell rewards are a huge motivator for someone who's normally not willing to spend money for stuff, though. The chance that they can get a shitload of goodies for free (essentially) if they play enough.

  • @xChrisx said:

    Noone will reduce the grind=noone get the premium track. Ez

    I approve of this message

  • I did the maths on the same calculation and think your estimations of some values are incredibly far off.

    @anarchy753 said:

    Preface

    OK, this is just as best as I can work it out fairly.

    First, the amount of fragments required is 700. 70 tiers at 10 fragments apiece.

    Challenge fragments (A realistic view)

    First we must deduct the challenge rewards.

    Tier 1 awards 93 shards. (83 for challenges, 10 for completion.)

    The leaked Tier 4 awards 85 shards. (75 for challenges, 10 for completion)

    Let's be really generous and say that tier 2 and 3 are equal to 1, which is more challenges but less master, and call them 83 shards too.

    So for our player who lives in the real world, there are 9 tier 4 challenges that look reasonably possible. (As in they may take a few attempts, but are not a 0.0001% situation that will almost certainly not occur in a 4 week period.) Let's be generous and say you did all of those ones, and in this case we're ignoring where "impossible" challenges prevent access to possible ones.

    That gives us 83+83+83+45=294 shards.

    That leaves 406 shards to earn through XP alone.

    Player XP fragments

    Each fragment takes 800 experience.

    At 406 fragments, that's 324,800 XP to finish levelling up your rift.

    Each match awards 1 XP per second spent in the game. I can't find anywhere on the wiki which confirms if there is an actual cap, though for the sake of the maths let's say there isn't. (Most people report around 600 XP for a ~10 min match so at the very least, an average match doesn't hit a cap.)

    There is also 600 XP for the first game bonus if you play one match of both sides. As the pass runs for 70 days, let's say you play both sides each day to earn that, that's 70x600=42,000XP.

    Which leaves us with actual game time; 324,800-42,000=282,800XP

    282,800 seconds in matches = 4713 minutes = 78.5 hours.

    Conclusion

    The devs say the rift was aimed at a player who plays 70-80 hours, or one hour per day.

    If a player completes every challenge that isn't ridiculously impossible, AND they get the XP bonus from both sides every single day, it takes 78.5 hours of in-match time to max out the rift.

    That translates to significantly longer if we're a rational human being who knows queue times don't work like that.

    Even if we assume long 10 minute games every single time with a 3 minute queue, which is far from an overestimation, that's bumping the number up to 102.05 hours already.

    TLDR:

    If we're lenient on every possible factor that could go in your favour, the rift takes 78.5 hours of in-match time. With a reasonable, but still generous, estimation of queue times included, it takes 102.05 hours of in-game time to complete the rift.


    I don't know why you'd assume that tier 2 and 3 give MORE fragments than 1 when even 4 does not.

    You also neglect the daily bonus experience which can amount to a large number of levels.

    Most matches are also only around 10 minutes long. Assuming that each match takes 25-30 minutes from clicking "ready" to find a lobby until being able to do so again is a vast overstatement.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I did the maths on the same calculation and think your estimations of some values are incredibly far off.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/102674/the-70-80-hours-1-hour-a-day-for-the-rift-the-maths

    I don't know why you'd assume that tier 2 and 3 give MORE fragments than 1 when even 4 does not.

    You also neglect the daily bonus experience which can amount to a large number of levels.

    Most matches are also only around 10 minutes long. Assuming that each match takes 25-30 minutes from clicking "ready" to find a lobby until being able to do so again is a vast overstatement.

    Most matches in red ranks might be 10 minutes. A lot of games on PS4 in purple are 20+ minutes assuming the killer doesn't camp and tunnel people out of the game. Also what daily experience bonus? I may get 1-2 levels a day without a tome and that's playing several games.

    On the weekends while the kids are out of school the game quality is so terrible that I only got 1 level playing like 5 or 6 games of survivor. Perhaps I'll do like some others and just grind out 5 minutes killer games by letting everyone do gens and escaping.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/828495#Comment_828495

    Most matches in red ranks might be 10 minutes. A lot of games on PS4 in purple are 20+ minutes assuming the killer doesn't camp and tunnel people out of the game. Also what daily experience bonus? I may get 1-2 levels a day without a tome and that's playing several games.

    On the weekends while the kids are out of school the game quality is so terrible that I only got 1 level playing like 10 games of survivor. Perhaps I'll do like some others and just grind out 5 minutes killer games by letting everyone do gens and escaping.

    There is 300 XP for your first match as killer, and 300 for your first match as survivor, per day.

    Playing a match of either cuts 10 minutes of in-match time off each day.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/828466#Comment_828466

    That would be true if it wasn't intentionally designed not to be completed by the average player, despite being advertised and BHVR claiming as such.

    The Auric cells purpose is to be bait, nothing more.

    It can either be completed by casuals, or it can't be. It cannot be both.

    I'm probably not what you would call a "casual" player, since I am very much on track to complete the Rift (tier 23 currently), but I am someone who is not normally willing to spend money on things because I don't have the money to spend. The auric cells are in fact a huge motivator for people in positions like mine. And I guarantee I'm not the only one.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/828466#Comment_828466

    That would be true if it wasn't intentionally designed not to be completed by the average player, despite being advertised and BHVR claiming as such.

    The Auric cells purpose is to be bait, nothing more.

    It can either be completed by casuals, or it can't be. It cannot be both.

    Of course its bait but that's still there as a motivator. They're fishing. There's a reason why the gaming industry has reduced players to names of various marine animals, with the whale being the most sought after.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/828597#Comment_828597

    Oh, I know. I'm in the same boat. But that's what I mean by that it's a trap.

    You basically turn the game into a full-time job for 2+ months to make "back" ten bucks. You playing the game more to make the grind is still greatly beneficial to them. Spending so much time also makes you more invested in the game.

    Meanwhile, the casuals who have money to throw won't mind spending a few bucks to either get a cosmetic they want in the battle pass immediately, or to skip all of the grinding.

    This whole thing about it trying to be "fair" and talk about trying to make the rift as consumer friendly as possible is a bold-faced lie to the community' (as much as a lie as "70 hours", lmao). It's a betrayal of trust and they should be ashamed of themselves.

    I absolutely refuse to believe their math could be so off, and that they weren't thinking about money when creating this rift.

    If the Rift was designed to be so complete-able, that even casuals could complete it by just playing an hour or so everyday if they did the challenges, as they had said, then why does the time saver purchase even exist? The fact it exists absolutely contradicts everything they said and advertise with this thing. It's the proof of the lie and the proof of the real intention of the battle pass and the Auric cells are the bait.

    Game companies are notorious for taken 2 steps forward towards monetization and then taking 1 step back to appease the backlash when it comes to things like this. That's probably what's going to happen here. Then the next monetization scheme will come. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

    Personally, I'm not playing the game any more than I usually do just to get Rift progress, but probably a lot of people are, like you say.

    I absolutely agree that the Rift was introduced primarily to generate revenue. I don't think even the devs themselves could deny that. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they miscalculated or didn't think things through rather than that they had malicious intentions, but it's true that the reality certainly has not lived up to their claims so far, so I'll agree that it's not looking good for them.