Finally... 100% Achievements has been Achieved!
Well boys we did it...
Yes, one of the most difficult and tedious objectives has finally been completed! (Until another DLC comes out...)
Not many people can say they've 100%'ed their achievements... considering a lot of the achievements are bugged, vague, misleading (They've been fixed though), and overall tedious... with outrageous requirements to boot!
This truly is a milestone for me as I've sought to 100% my achievements since I started playing all the way back in October 1st... and now I've finally done it!
I can't say a lot of the achievements were fun to complete... especially achievements like Wounded Healer that were sometimes bugged and not counting what I've done... (I had to play No Mither for every game I played to get this done...)
And other achievements like Silent Approach or Cutting Out took a fair bit of time also to get those done... they're not as easy as some would believe and you might never even pull any of those requirements off in a single game... let alone a couple...
But... the worst of them all...
No achievement was more tedious, time wasting, insane requirements, and annoying as (Taking One For The Team) was...
I've already made a post about this achievement which i'll link in this post (I don't know if I'm allowed to do that but its for the relevance of this post... so... plus it saves me time explaining everything.)
@FireHazard said:
introduction
Hey! It's been awhile since I've actually posted anything regarding something... odd or interesting. But today, we'll be discussing why Taking One For The Team is one of, if not the most unorthodox achievement to complete in DBD. This is mainly due to how it works against everything you naturally do in this meta, and how it doesn't exactly work correctly when counting towards the achievement!
There are many more things to say, but we'll save it for the parts they're segmented to below! Without further ado though, lets discuss how this achievement is the longest, oddest, and most tedious achievement to complete in the entire game!
[warning before reading this post]
As you can see, the post is insanely long, so if you're not interested in reading certain segments of this post... than don't! And if you don't wanna read any of this post, than you can read the TL;DR at the end!
If I miss-spelled anything please forgive me... this took awhile to write up and it's pretty late so I'm tired.
the current meta
Now for one, we all know how the current meta works within DBD at this time. For clarification though, most of the meta is comprised around gen stopping perks like Ruin, Pop Goes the Weasel, Corrupt Intervention, etc. But that's not all, it also focuses on "2nd chance" perks like with previous iterations to the meta... except to a lesser degree since DS was nerfed months ago, and now has taken the spotlight off itself for the most part...
For Killers, the most used perks are Ruin, Pop Goes the Weasel, NOED, Nurse's Calling, BBQ & Chili, Corrupt Intervention, Thanatophobia (This is tied to certain Killers only though), and Dying Light now too! (Again, tied to certain Killers.)
Of course there are a few more that people would like to debate are meta, but this is most of them to count. These perks revolve around the idea of 2nd chances for loss of progress, countering healing, aura reading with no downsides, and gen reduction perks! This is the current meta, and this is what most Killers use at almost all ranks, but mostly Purple and Red.
For Survivors, the meta consists of a few different perks... For one, who could start off a meta list without mentioning Dead Hard! The most used perk in the entire meta. But to mention the rest, it would consist of Dead Hard, Borrowed Time (Not used as much anymore), DS (Post-Patch isn't used as much anymore), Self Care, Urban Evasion, Balanced Landing, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Iron Will, etc.
That's to name a few, but for the most part these are the most common you'll see. Most of the Survivors meta revolves around 2nd chance perks, as well as perks that revolve around stealth and anti-tunneling measures. The most used perk though is Dead Hard, mainly because of how it can increase loops for much longer because of it's invincibility frames it causes when used!
why the achievement works against this
Now, of course lets talk about the main point of this post... "Why does Taking One For The Team work against the meta? Doesn't the achievement revolve around helping others?"
Yes, the achievements main purpose is to of course rescue others while also taking hits for them in most cases after they've been unhooked... But here's the problem with that. Due to how the meta currently works for Survivors, it doesn't really revolve around it as much as you thing...
Yes, we have perks that are supposed to increase healing by 100% when you unhook someone... or perks that increase healing by 33% to help others out... or even perks that REVOLVE AROUND PROTECTION HITS! But here's the thing, most of the time if you're facing a Killer a say... Red or Purple, they'll focus on the unhooker I.E. you. They're not interested in tunneling the hurt or fully healed Survivor that was on the hook (Or at least 90% of them are not.) They're interested in going after you, which isn't what the achievement wants to happen...
The achievement thrives when the Killer actively tunnels the unhooked Survivor after they're unhooked... than it wants you to take a hit for them to count towards the achievement... Do you already see the problem here? Not only does tunneling need to happen... you also need to take a hit for them after they're unhooked.
Now, here's why this doesn't exactly work with the meta... the meta revolves around stealth, 2nd chances, breaking chases, etc... the only perk that rewards protection hits are We're Gonna Live Forever, and Mettle of Man. (I may forgot another perk but who cares)
These perks revolve around protection hits and safe unhooks for WGLF, but the issue is... not only are protection hits incredible inaccurate... they're also rare and almost impossible to pull off in regular matches unless you're wasting more perk slots to actively see where the injured Survivor is. And again, if the Killer is after YOU not the person who got off the hook, than the achievement is thrown of the window.
So not only do you need perks to track the injured unhook Survivor, you need a tunneling Killer that actively wants to keep downing the person they hooked and you need to block hits that're RIGHT NEXT TO THAT SURVIVOR in order to count towards the achievement and Mettle of Man if you're lucky... No, the perk doesn't count hits that're not absolutely right next to that Survivor, it doesn't count distractions, it doesn't count taking hits for other people who haven't been unhooked recently for the achievement, it's just quite a bad mindset and a very odd achievement overall. While it doesn't actively encourages tunneling, it needs tunneling to happen in order to thrive... Mettle of Man will work with any protection hit, while the achievement needs to take hits from recently unhooked Survivors.
the issue with how long the achievement takes
Now of course, what would I be doing if I didn't start discussing about how long this achievement takes to complete. I have no idea if this was the developers intentions when they released this achievement with Bill, but I don't think they understood how long the achievement would actually take to complete on a normal basis.
In regular matches like I said, you need a tunneling Killer to tunnel a unhooked Survivor so you can take hits for them to actually progress this achievement, that's the only way to really get "points" towards the achievement to complete it. This achievement isn't hard to do at all, as a matter of fact it's actually one of the easiest to do (in theory.)
But because of how inconsistent the hits need to be on the unhooked Survivor, the scenarios that need to happen for it to even count towards the achievement, most of the achievements being bugged so it might now count anything at all, the unknown time you have to take a hit on a "recently unhooked Survivor" before it doesn't count protection hits, etc, etc, etc...
This is kind of why you don't ever see anyone have 100% completion with their achievements list... it's because of this achievement that most people don't make it past 99% for months, it literally takes months to active take hits for unhooked Survivors over and over and over again, and what I already said about how inconsistent it is... it'll take a long, long, long time.
Here's how long its been for me to reach 183 points out of 250 on Taking One For The Team. I first started playing about last year from now, 22 days ago on October 1st 2018. It's been what... a year on the dot since I've had the chance to do this achievement.
And while yes I wasn't actively going for the achievement for most of that time because of how buggy it was with the points it gathered, and yes I'm not a Survivor main so there is that... that's still a long time to just barely be done with the achievement. But before you say "So why is this an example of you're not a Survivor main and you weren't actively working for it?"
The thing about that is... I did actually take some time to do this achievement during December... and because of how impossible the scenario needs to be for an average game to get the points... it never really happened obviously. Of course if you're in Green or Yellow ranks you'll see a lot of tunneling and camping because that's that rank bracket, it's mostly new players there. But even then... that isn't 100% of the time, and you need to be on top of the hit behind the Survivor to even get the hit...
Did I mention they need to be recently unhooked to? The time you have to take the hit is unknown also...
the issue with the requirements of this achievement
This parts gonna be pretty short, but this ones mostly to say the issues behind why the requirements of this achievement is the downfall of said achievement. (It also may sound the same as the segment above but who knows.)
You literally need a scenario with a tunneling Killer, this has been established... But while also needing this scenario that might not happen 100% of the time obviously (it's more like 30% out of 70% but it depends on rank.) Here's the issue with that, you need to unhook a Survivor who's on the hook, that Survivor needs to be targeted again right after the unhooking to work with the "recently unhooked" part of the achievement, than you need to follow the Killer and take the M1 hit or the M2 hit for the injured Survivor to get a point towards the achievement, but before that you need to make sure you're RIGHT next to them to take the hit or it'll not count it at all.
Also, the point you get might not even count because of how achievements are buggy... And you need 250 protection hits on a Survivor being tunneled off the hook... ๐....
What?!? That's insanely unreasonable... Of course nobody actively goes and does this achievement, it's almost impossible to do sometimes!!! This is why nobody does this achievement, and why it's done passively for months... it's literally the most unorthodox requirements that need to happen under a blue moon to even get points towards.
I don't know why this achievement was given these... strange requirements, but it's obviously not the greatest ones since they're pretty hard to get... and they might not even count towards the achievement because most achievements are buggy, but that's another issue with the achievements itself on PS4, XBOX, PC, and maybe even the switch idk.
Lemme suggest something though...
A suggestion for some new requirements
Not really "new" but this should stay true to the achievement while also being reasonable in a way... This is how the achievement SHOULD work... You should gain points by taking protection hits from all Survivors that're about to get hit by the Killer with a M1 or M2... You shouldn't need to have a scenario where the Killer tunnels a recently unhooked Survivor and on top of that you need to take a hit for them 250 times...
You can keep the 250 protection hit requirement, or you can reduce it to 200 to be more reasonable... Either way, making it purely off of protection hits will make this achievement a lot more reasonable and overall will be actually finished more often by people. And HEY! It'll even encourage people to actively go take hits for others to get the achievement done, it'll get them outside of their comfort zone with the current meta if they don't active do that.
Yes, the achievement before did this... but you needed a tunneling Killer to do it... and it was unknown how long the "recently unhooked" part lasted... 1 minute? 30 seconds? the entire match afterwards? WHO KNOWS!
@not_Queen @Peanits @MandyTalk
I suggest this change to you three or anyone else who wants to come see it on the dev or mod team, of course this isn't a TOP PRIORITY CHANGE!!! and I'm not demanding you do it right away! I understand there are more important issues like getting the event and The Archives up and running for the community.
This is just a thought to keep in mind if you're interested... Or not... idc. I'll eventually get the achievement done anyways, I just wanted to suggest a change so people who want 100% in achievements don't need to suffer to get the requirements done...
tl;dr
The way the current meta works for Survivors and Killers revolves less around protection hits and more around breaking chases and 2nd chance perks that avoid taking hits in-general. Yes, Mettle of Man exists but that perk is incredible inconsistent and requires the user to take protection hits that were given right next to that Survivor like RIGHT NEXT TO THEM!
The achievement solely relies on a tunneling Killer to actively want to down someone who was recently unhooked... than you need to take a hit for them (Right next to them, not falling far behind while following them...) This means it'll not count if it's not next to them, distraction hits are not protection hits, etc, etc, etc.
Also, the requirement for the achievement to take hits from a "recently unhooked" Survivor is insanely vague... What does it mean by recently? Do you have 1 minute to take a protection hit? 30 seconds? 15 seconds? 2 minutes? WHO KNOWS!
This achievement is seriously the most unorthodox because of these requirements, and this is why nobody actively seeks to do this achievement because of said requirements... And while yes achievements don't really mean anything, if you want to 100% all achievements like I do, than you need this achievement done... Its been a year for me doing it on and on and I only have 183 points out of 250 to show for it to finish it...
Again, you need 250 protection hits from "recently unhooked" Survivors from a scenario that thrives off of a Killer that actively tunnels injured unhooked Survivors... Do you see the issue here? Such a strange set of requirements.
My suggestion to the devs Peanits, Not_Queen, and even some mods like Rizzo or Mandy... The change should be that the achievement requires solid protection hits... that's it.
It would just work off of protection hits for every Survivor in the match, and you can even keep it at 250 protection hits to complete or lower it to 200 to be more reasonable. This change stays true to the achievement, and will actually be finished by some people because it's not as demanding for a scenario to occur like that.
This isn't a DEMAND, you guys are bigger issues with The Archives, Supporting the community's issues, and the event overall right now... This is just a suggestion if any of you are interested in reading it...
edit
Also I heard that you need to be right next to the hook for it to even count at all, but it's unknown if this is true or not...
If it is, than that's an even worse requirement since you literally need to farm people to take hits while unhooking them to count towards the achievement... That's worse than hoping for a tunneling Killer...
But like I said, its unknown.
But, to summarize the achievement... you have to unhook someone at a hook, than you have an unknown amount of time to get hit near that person once they're unhooked, you take the protection hit as stated above, and if you're LUCKY it'll count towards the achievement.
The achievement thrives off of a tunneling Killer for you to get hit by to protect the injured Survivor... but it also thrives off of farming Survivors... which I can easily say NOBODY likes... It took a lot of scenarios for this to work... and overall some luck (I know it's ""Lucky"" that the Killer came back after I unhooked.) But overall it took some luck for them to come back and than hit me while I was healing that Survivor...
I had to severely cripple my play-style and take way too many unneeded hits to complete this last achievement...
It's been 8 days since I actively pursued this achieved... and during that time I've had to take so many unneeded hits and downs to just get points for it... I started this when I was at 180 points already... which getting those passively took literally A YEAR to get. a year... to get that many points for one achievement... and there is 250 points in total to complete it...
Anyways, hopefully they change it to just take protection hits overall and not taking protection hits for an unhooked Survivor... because this took WAY TOO LONG to complete...
Besides that mini-rant
I'm happy to say that I've finally done it! Now my achievements are finally at 100% and I can move on... (Until another DLC comes out...)
tl;dr...?
I got 100% achievements finally and it took so long because Taking One For The Team is literally the worst achievement ever created... due to the requirements it has...
...That's it... that's the TL;DR lol.


Comments
Congrats :)
PARTY AT THE NEAS HOUSE!!!!
I only have power specific ones left killer adepts and that God forsaken achievement I only have 73% on
The Entity's hou-
I didn't say anything.
Congratz!! .. Until the next chapter I guess!
If you're talking about TOFTT than yeah, that achievement is horrible... the requirements are literally going to cripple you...
So good luck...
I think any new chapters achievements is far easier to complete than Taking One For The Team Was...
Good job!
I'm too lazy to do an adepts achievements though lol
On certain Killers its pretty hard to pull off yeah... (Aka LeatherFace at Red Ranks...)
I mean, its best to do them all at Rank Reset imo... but sometimes I don't feel like waiting.
Congrats @FireHazard !
I can say that 100% achievements on DBD is definitely harder to achieve than 100% achievements on any Souls game (infamouse pure bladestone farming included!! ๐ญ). Well played!
Oh man, I really hope none of the future achievements get anywhere near that level of BS :(
Yeah it's a tough, but if you really want you can get these achievements easily, but now I don't even have time to play a game for longer than 2 hours xd
College life..
Iโm watching you
Makes sense.
That's some serious dedication! Congratulations. How many hours did it take you to do this? And what will you do now, go back to playing normally?
On a side note, I'll probably never 100% DBD because many of the achievements require you to intentionally play sub-optimally, like you pointed out. Hats off to you for going through the struggle!
And here was me excited as I got adept Nancy ๐๐คฃ.
Well done on the 100% it's a great accomplishment and one I certainly don't have the patience for.
Thank you ;)
Well, if it took a year to complete Taking One For The Team... it took about a year to get all my achievements (Doing it off and on since I first started in October 1st... when I first started playing in-general.)
And yes, the requirements for a lot of achievements require you to play... very poorly in comparison to the meta...
Glad its over though. (For now.)
This thread made me look at my own achievements.
I don't think I'll be getting adept achievements ever since they changed the requirements for them a while ago now, for killers that is. I got Freddy, Hag, Clown, Plague and Demogorgon left :/
I'm also surprised I don't have "Wounded Healer" unlocked, I've been playing for a long time now.
Anyway, congrats on that milestone!
Thank you! And good luck to your road to 100% as well... if you ever decide to do it.
Congrats! ๐ฅณ