First time playing Ghostface "right"

Heard all this talk about how Ghostface is actually a beast if you play him "right". Was excited about Ghostface and was completely let down when he was released, so I decided to give it a try.

Holy #########, I loved it.

So yes, this is just gonna be some gushing and a recommendation for you to play him like this too.

So, start off the game and I immediately go into stealth. Discordance goes off, and I move that direction. Stealth is up, and I get a gen grab. Amazing way to start off. Super early DL stack. Scare the ######### out of one. I'm happy already.

Chase after the other one on the gen. I'm not the best at looping, I'm only rank 3, so it lasts a little while. During that time, the Meg gets saved and healed about the time I down the Feng. Hook, stealth, and away.

Game continues pretty much like this the whole time. Lots of jumpscares, I love getting to feel scary again. Some long chases cause I'm not the best, and we eventually make it to end game. Two people left, one slugged on the floor. Find the last guy cause he accidentally looked at me in stealth. Never would've found him otherwise and probably lost him to hatch. It was so nice.

So, yes. Playing Ghostface "right" is phenomenal. I love it. Most fun I've had in a long time.

Comments

  • I just use crouch speed add ons no one really suspects those

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    I just use crouch speed add ons no one really suspects those

    My first time I did power recovery. But I like crouch speed. Great red glow mindgames

  • Please don't tell me the "right" way is Tru3's "optimal" strategy.

  • @THEghostface said:

    Please don't tell me the "right" way is Tru3's "optimal" strategy.

    (it's the best way fyi) But keep thinking stalk is useful. Every game needs some people to try out ######### things, maybe theyll be useful sometimes.

  • @FriendlyGuy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804209#Comment_804209

    (it's the best way fyi) But keep thinking stalk is useful. Every game needs some people to try out ######### things, maybe theyll be useful sometimes.

    Tru3talent: the guy who says stalking as Ghost Face is bad

    Also Tru3talent: recklessly moves around in the open, trying to stalk a survivor that now already knows he's there

    Ghost Face didn't become viable because a streamer plays him a certain way. Tru3 is truly bad at stalking with this killer. What he calls ineffective has given me easy 4Ks in short time, so he's not entirely in the right at all.

  • @THEghostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804214#Comment_804214

    Tru3talent: the guy who says stalking as Ghost Face is bad

    Also Tru3talent: recklessly moves around in the open, trying to stalk a survivor that now already knows he's there

    Ghost Face didn't become viable because a streamer plays him a certain way. Tru3 is truly bad at stalking with this killer. What he calls ineffective has given me easy 4Ks in short time, so he's not entirely in the right at all.

    The moment you expose them they know you're there right? With anti-heal you can't be broken out, you don have to stalk and 99 them, they show their location through healing and looking at you, i mean it seems really obvious.

  • @FriendlyGuy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804244#Comment_804244

    The moment you expose them they know you're there right? With anti-heal you can't be broken out, you don have to stalk and 99 them, they show their location through healing and looking at you, i mean it seems really obvious.

    Well you're not trying to gen grab them after marking. Marking an unaware survivor that is darn well a great distance from you is a bad play on your part. Tru3's anti-heal build is just *one* way of playing Ghost, NOT the only way.

  • @THEghostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804255#Comment_804255

    Well you're not trying to gen grab them after marking. Marking an unaware survivor that is darn well a great distance from you is a bad play on your part. Tru3's anti-heal build is just *one* way of playing Ghost, NOT the only way.

    Like i said, if you think so, play him like this.

  • Idk about u guys, but I main ghostface and nearly always get tbe stalk mark off, I use power recovery and detection reduction range add ons, sometimes crouch speed add ons. Most of the time I 4k/3k at rank 1. I do sometimes go for gen grabs but cuz of the stupid registering habits of this game, they never work. And if they do find me whilst I'm stalking them it's always too late lol

  • Don't limit your playstyle to not use stalking at all. If survivors know you don't stalk at all, they can counter you

    Try to mix between stalking or direct attack. Unpredictable is the key to play as ghostface.

  • Never heard of this true dude- looked him up- he sucks Xx

  • I don't play Ghostface that often, but I've always wondered if you could grab someone off a gen while crouched. Never got the chance to test it. Can anyone confirm?

  • It tells you he's designed badly when the best way to play him is to not even use his power essentially.

    Bar some off scenarios trying to stalk just loses you the game.

  • @Blueberry said:

    It tells you he's designed badly when the best way to play him is to not even use his power essentially.

    Bar some off scenarios trying to stalk just loses you the game.

    Not only is ghostface poorly designed, he's a recycle of Shape, who is better and has more variety in his builds.

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804501#Comment_804501

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804523#Comment_804523

    You can, but with the new dedicated servers gen grabs are like 5x harder now because the survivor can interrupt the grab animation by moving; where-as when it was host-based they were pretty much done for the second the grab animation started.

    And idk how you are stalking but I find his stalk to be super powerful. Are you face stalking like you are myers? It's pretty much pointless to stalk in the open without add-ons, and should really only be done when peeking a corner. I also partially stalk people and come back to them later sometimes. I always try to 99 people and then do the expose as I actually get to them, instead of exposing them from afar; so they have less chances to get to a pallet.

    The extra exposed duration add-ons are incredible, by the way. The green one lets you expose people from afar, get into an extended chase where you kick like 3+ safe pallets, and still 1 shot the survivor at the end.

    I'm not referring to gen grabs at all. Gen grabs generally aren't happening at rank 1.

    "Are you face stalking like you are myers?"

    I play him at rank 1, only an idiot would try to stalk like that.

    "It's pretty much pointless to stalk in the open without add-ons, and should really only be done when peeking a corner."

    Yup.

    Are you playing him at rank 1 while you are trying to stalk people?

  • @THEghostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804214#Comment_804214

    Tru3talent: the guy who says stalking as Ghost Face is bad

    Also Tru3talent: recklessly moves around in the open, trying to stalk a survivor that now already knows he's there

    Ghost Face didn't become viable because a streamer plays him a certain way. Tru3 is truly bad at stalking with this killer. What he calls ineffective has given me easy 4Ks in short time, so he's not entirely in the right at all.

    I don't think it's just a Tru3 thing. My understanding is that there is an increasing consensus that the ideal way to play Ghostface is to just forget stalking and play him like a better Wraith.

    @Blueberry said:

    It tells you he's designed badly when the best way to play him is to not even use his power essentially.

    Bar some off scenarios trying to stalk just loses you the game.

    This is kinda how I feel. It's nice that Ghostface has a way to be played well, but when it involves not doing the thing he is designed to do, that's a sign to me that something went wrong.

  • This strategy only works on low ranks, potato survivors, or certain maps. If you get your stalk of anywhere close to the survivor they should go down instantly with no chance of letting go and getting into a chase to begin with. Don't pop it 32 meters away or stalk in the wide open.

  • Tbh, stalking Ghost Face always seemed ineffective to me and even the add-ons related to it, aka increasing stalk speed or increasing the exposed duration, are trash, while stealth/anti healing Ghost Face actually seems decent and the power recovery add-ons are also very good.

  • @THEghostface said:

    Please don't tell me the "right" way is Tru3's "optimal" strategy.

    You can't argue with the results. Playing him this way more consistently results in success

  • @THEghostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804214#Comment_804214

    Tru3talent: the guy who says stalking as Ghost Face is bad

    Also Tru3talent: recklessly moves around in the open, trying to stalk a survivor that now already knows he's there

    Ghost Face didn't become viable because a streamer plays him a certain way. Tru3 is truly bad at stalking with this killer. What he calls ineffective has given me easy 4Ks in short time, so he's not entirely in the right at all.

    So, then chest camping the basement is effective? Because I've gotten a 4k with it before. Therefore, using your argument, chest camping in the basement is effective.

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/804259#Comment_804259

    Why would you play ghostface that way? If you are doing an anti-heal build and just running around M1'ing people there is no reason to not play wraith instead, who can do it much much better. He gets free hits at gens the same, can replace sloppy with an add-on for even more slowdown perks, and doesn't have a cooldown / can't be broken out of stealth.

    Ghostface is 100% made around stalking people and downing them in 1 shot. You only M1 when it's not possible. True is just bad with him, and says the word optimal way too much.

    Wraith has a slowdown when coming out of stealth and unless you use the coxcomb you're also giving yourself away. Ghostface can hit you right out of stealth and doesn't give himself away in the process

  • If you're not gonna stalk, may as well play Jumpscare Pig. Just use the Video Tape and John's Medical File add-ons. Dash is surprisingly quick and can be easy to pull off.

  • I feel the same way, I was pissed off when GF was released and only when I started playing him this way did I truly enjoy myself and really see the power that Ghostface has. Everyone hates Haddonfield but I love that map when I'm Ghostface, I have all the power, no one knows where I am and what direction i'm coming from and I use those disgusting fences to hide when I'm chasing so they can't see where I go.

    I don't have Dying Light so I'm using Huntress Lullaby, if that perk got buffed a teensy bit it would be an amazing perk for GF. My theory is that once the Skill Check is completely silent they will be more focused on seeing the skill check than they are on looking for me when I'm in stealth. Their focus is diverted and that will give me easy grabs and downs because they aren't paying attention. But of course, Huntress doesn't last that long so I can't prove or disprove the strategy works.

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/805181#Comment_805181

    The common add-on that makes the bell map-wide works just as well for gen ambushing as coxcomb. And unless the survivor is 1 foot away from a vault or pallet, it usually doesn't matter that they see you uncloaking because of the speed boost you get; especially if you started the uncloak from behind cover.

    And with no cooldown on his ability, he is far superior for quick hit-and-run ambushes if you are just smacking a survivor off a gen and then moving on to stack thanta.

    Ghostface can do at base what it takes Wraith an add-on to do half as well, or an ultra rare to do not even as well. You see why he's better? It's Wraith with those addons at base, minus the cloak. But who cares about the cloak, good survivors will see it anyway.

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/805317#Comment_805317

    You only need add-ons to get ambush hits at gens if you are bad at wraith though. Those just make it easier. Like I said, it usually doesn't even matter if they hear the bell because if you are uncloaking at good spots the speed boost gets you the hit anyways.

    I agree ghostface is better than wraith, but I disagree that a stalkless ghostface is better than wraith.

    For the specific anti-heal build of not getting into many chases and instead just trying to keep everyone injured with ambush hits I think wraith is just outright better for the playstyle. Especially since he can run things like windstorm to hit multiple gens before ghostface would even have his power back up from the first M1.

    No. Good players will require a minimum of the map wide bell to be surprised by him. Ghostface doesn't need any addons to surprise good survivors, leaving him more room for other addons. Like power recharge speed, letting him ambush almost whenever he wants

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/806951#Comment_806951

    No way. I've played him at red ranks for years and literally any gen with an LOS blocker, where you would get a free hit as ghostface, you will 95% of the time get that same free hit as wraith if you uncloak as you come around the corner.

    The gens in the middle of the open you don't get the free hit, but you probably would not get it as ghostface either.

    The majority of wraiths add-ons make him more powerful as an M1 killer. The majority of ghostfaces add-ons make him better at stalking people. You get the exact same ambush hits as either killer, so who do you think is going to perform better in an M1-off.....

    The one whose power doesn't come with a ringtone, I would guess.

  • @Desolate_Sands said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/806951#Comment_806951

    No way. I've played him at red ranks for years and literally any gen with an LOS blocker, where you would get a free hit as ghostface, you will 95% of the time get that same free hit as wraith if you uncloak as you come around the corner.

    The gens in the middle of the open you don't get the free hit, but you probably would not get it as ghostface either.

    The majority of wraiths add-ons make him more powerful as an M1 killer. The majority of ghostfaces add-ons make him better at stalking people. You get the exact same ambush hits as either killer, so who do you think is going to perform better in an M1-off.....

    But the comment itself shows why Ghostface is more powerful. "where you would get a free hit as ghostface, you will 95% of the time get that same free hit as wraith"

    So Ghostface can do 100% of the time what Wraith can do 95% of the time, and Ghostface can do it without addons.