Why is EU full of Russians?

I was wondering: Why is it that I am playing on an EU server (selected Steam server is in Germany), yet I get about 50% Russians? Does Russia not have any servers of their own? But this was a thing even before dedicated servers.

I know of a lot of people here who play the game, so I'm curious about why I don't see German, French, Italian, Spanish or Austrian players, combined, more often than Russians.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Because geographically half of Russia is in Europe. I am in Ireland and always get games with a mixture of European nationalities. I even get games with Americans and Canadians. There's nothing wrong whatsoever about Russians. I find they are usually amazing team mates.

  • @MuteNewt said:

    Because geographically half of Russia is in Europe. I am in Ireland and always get games with a mixture of European nationalities. I even get games with Americans and Canadians. There's nothing wrong whatsoever about Russians. I find they are usually amazing team mates.

    Well, the only thing that is wrong with them is... or rather was their ping.

    As EU, I get 50-70 ping with anyone from the EU but Russians, who I get around 150-200. It was a plague back in p2p days, as survivor was almost unplayable for me, unless I dodged tons of lobbies to find a green ping. I think the geomatchmaker is drunk and thinks that far east Russia is still in EU.


    Dedicated servers aren't much better, but at least I can see a green ping, even though it works like an old ~150 peer to peer one (common issues known by everyone)... :(

  • @PureHostility Ah ye I can totally understand if its to do with ping. But that is really down to a persons internet (well before dedicated servers it was).

    But as I said I can be even matched with Americans and Canadians.

    • Asia: Singapore  
    • Asia: Tokyo 
    • Australia: Sydney 
    • Europe: Frankfurt 
    • Europe: London 
    • South America: Sao Paulo 
    • North America: North Virginia 
    • North America: Oregon

    Nope, no servers for Russia.

  • Only 50 % ? Lucky bastard ! I get 8/10 games with russians.


    And the playstyle is every time the same.

  • @Sheldor said:

    Only 50 % ? Lucky bastard ! I get 8/10 games with russians.

    And the playstyle is every time the same.

    I feel you. EU servers are a horrible experience. Also ppl say "if you reach higher ranks you wont meet them" - WRONG.

  • For some reason Dbd has a very large Russian playbase, its fine, I only find it a bit annoying playing in EU because nobody speaks english in postgame, or speaks it poorly, so I use a VPN just to get on the US servers.

  • Yes, imagine. We do not have our own servers. And we play with either the Japanese or the Europeans. Who would have thought.

  • I decided to close this thread because people were just being offensive towards russian players for no reason.

    As explained there's not a server in Russia, so they have to play on EU or Asia servers.