"Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
Given some people also want Pennywise in the game. "It wouldn't fit DBD" is already thrown straight out of the window.
I mean, I stand on the side of pennywise being added. He/the headlights are far more akin to the entity and the entire concept of feeding on fear and false memories than most.
But yeah, saying something doesnt fit anymore doesnt work unless it's like, a sitcom or drama IP at this point.
I think this would really put me off Dead by Daylight to be honest.
It's getting frustrating to constantly see licensed survivors being added in my opinion.
We only had 1 licensed survivor added.
The rest all came as a whole licensed chapter.
Also why is it frustrating getting more characters? I'm not saying this to sound rude but genuinely curious as to your mindset.
This game lost its "horror" focus ages ago and is now the horror equivalent of "Smash Bros". I say roll with it and enjoy your favorite killer/survivor.
I don't find any of the licensed chapters or characters appealing if I'm honest. It's not because I don't like their source material or anything (as a matter of fact I like the Halloween films as well as A Nightmare On Elm Street) it's just that I don't think they add a lot to the game. I like Dead by Daylight for different reasons then I like the films so I just don't see any appeal in them merging.
To me, the licensed characters feel somewhat constricted and dull. I find it difficult to explain why I don't really enjoy licensed DLC without it sounding like I'm hating on the source(s) so I'll just summaries a few of my ideas:
Lore: Their lore doesn't always fit with Dead by Daylight. The presence of characters who already have existing universes raises unanswerable questions about DbD's own lore. For example: Is the Upside Down a thing in Dead by Daylight? Are characters like Laurie Strode real in Dead by Daylight or did The Entity take the character(s) from their films/shows? How are characters like Steve and Nancy present in the game while they are currently part of the 'normal' world in the Stranger Things show?
Aesthetics: Their character/personality/design doesn't fit with Dead by Daylights themes. This one is similar to the aforementioned lore problem. I feel like some of the characters we have (e.g. Ashley J. Williams) don't fit with Dead by Daylight's horror atmosphere. He seems more of a comedic character than a series horror protagonist. I understand some people will like that but it just isn't my cup of tea.
Price: I understand the developers have to make money and I am not asking for any more free content since there already is a lot. I'm prepared to pay for any of the DLC I want however the appeal of the characters isn't enough to warrant me purchasing the (licensed) characters.
Customization: All of the cosmetics for licensed characters are unable to be bought with Iridescent Shards (understandably so). One of my favorite parts of Dead by Daylight is the customization so having limited and expensive options only on licensed characters just isn't for me really.
Uniqueness and Originality: I like Dead by Daylight because it is really unique and I haven't found a game I enjoy more than Dead by Daylight in a long time. I especially enjoy Dead by Daylight's original characters. I find their stories and The Entity's realm to be really intriguing. The licensed characters don't have that feel to me. They already have their own stories so they lack that sense of mystery for me.
Immersion: This one is a bit hard to explain but it sometimes breaks the whole atmosphere of Dead by Daylight when I'm running around and see The Demogorgon (for example). As somebody who has watched S1 of Stranger Things, when I see the Demogorgon I instantly feel like I'm not really playing Dead by Daylight anymore and more like I'm playing 'Stranger Things'. I suppose if you're a really big fan then this would be ideal but I personally didn't enjoy the show so it's not down my alley. This applies for some of the other licenses too, but certainly not all. I do enjoy some of the characters (Laurie Strode, Quentin Smith, The Shape, The Ghostface etc to name a few).
On an unrelated note, I just want to thank you for being polite. Sometimes when I say I'm not a fan of some of the licensed characters I get angry fans responding somewhat rudely. Even though I personally am not a massive fan of the licenses, I completely respect that other people like them and I'm glad they enjoy the DLC.
To answer some of your questions, the Devs have made it clear that stuff like the Upside Down and licensed characters exist. The entity uses stuff like the Upside Down and the Dream World like a college kid uses SparkNotes to write an essay. It's a crappy substitute for the real thing but it's still something to use. Per example, the Upside Down is real in the realm of the Entity but it is curtailed from the actual effects of the Mind Flayer, making it far less threatening than the real deal.
I'm going to gently assume you're not super familiar with parallel universes and multiverses in fiction for the sake of my explanation. Characters like Laurie, Steve, Nancy, etc can exist in the realm of the Entity because at the instance the Entity grabbed them, a parallel universe where they were not snatched comes into existence. This explains why Bill and Tapp are canonically deceased (you can finds Bill's corpse in a DLC) but you can play as them in the game and they are fine and alive. I get that this sounds like bad writing but the truth is, this same type of writing exists with the original content as well. Jeff is hinted at being the one who makes noise in the woods that alerts the Legion to follow it which leads to them all getting sucked into the Entity's realm, despite Jeff being a grown man and the Legion still being stuck in the 90s as teens.
Time and logic fall to the waist side when working the Entity. It's a little irritating when people feel like the licensed stuff is non-canon just because certain chapters/paragraphs have worse writing than others (looking at you Laurie, Nancy, Steve, and Demo). But then we have characters like Ash and Ghostface who have entirely unique backstories that connect deeply to the lore and rules of the Entity. Ash ######### up, as per usual. Danny wanted to kill forever and he got his wish.
Look at it this way, acquiring licensed content brings in fans of that content. Which means more money for the people who create DbD. More money, more employees, more bug fixes, new content, more DbD all together.
If you're not a fan of more Dead by Daylight, what the heck are you doing on the forum lol
P.S. I don't think I would be a Shaun main, but more content is always welcome in my eyes.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
As a massive fan of the Cornetto trilogy, playing as Shaun would be awesome! Although I doubt they can get Simon Pegg to voice him.
"Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
Damn straight.
If we were to have a horredy character, I'd fight tooth and nail for Brenda Meeks over blonde Dwight.
Lol "it wouldnt fit dbd" as an option as we have Ashley J and Demogorgon. ๐๐๐
Given some people also want Pennywise in the game. "It wouldn't fit DBD" is already thrown straight out of the window.
I mean, I stand on the side of pennywise being added. He/the headlights are far more akin to the entity and the entire concept of feeding on fear and false memories than most.
But yeah, saying something doesnt fit anymore doesnt work unless it's like, a sitcom or drama IP at this point.
Yeah why not. Simon Pegg is cool af
We only had 1 licensed survivor added.
The rest all came as a whole licensed chapter.
Also why is it frustrating getting more characters? I'm not saying this to sound rude but genuinely curious as to your mindset.
This game lost its "horror" focus ages ago and is now the horror equivalent of "Smash Bros". I say roll with it and enjoy your favorite killer/survivor.
I like it if he would be here, I'm a fan, but if he doesn't then it wouldn't matter.
To answer some of your questions, the Devs have made it clear that stuff like the Upside Down and licensed characters exist. The entity uses stuff like the Upside Down and the Dream World like a college kid uses SparkNotes to write an essay. It's a crappy substitute for the real thing but it's still something to use. Per example, the Upside Down is real in the realm of the Entity but it is curtailed from the actual effects of the Mind Flayer, making it far less threatening than the real deal.
I'm going to gently assume you're not super familiar with parallel universes and multiverses in fiction for the sake of my explanation. Characters like Laurie, Steve, Nancy, etc can exist in the realm of the Entity because at the instance the Entity grabbed them, a parallel universe where they were not snatched comes into existence. This explains why Bill and Tapp are canonically deceased (you can finds Bill's corpse in a DLC) but you can play as them in the game and they are fine and alive. I get that this sounds like bad writing but the truth is, this same type of writing exists with the original content as well. Jeff is hinted at being the one who makes noise in the woods that alerts the Legion to follow it which leads to them all getting sucked into the Entity's realm, despite Jeff being a grown man and the Legion still being stuck in the 90s as teens.
Time and logic fall to the waist side when working the Entity. It's a little irritating when people feel like the licensed stuff is non-canon just because certain chapters/paragraphs have worse writing than others (looking at you Laurie, Nancy, Steve, and Demo). But then we have characters like Ash and Ghostface who have entirely unique backstories that connect deeply to the lore and rules of the Entity. Ash ######### up, as per usual. Danny wanted to kill forever and he got his wish.
Hopefully this clears some things up.
Look at it this way, acquiring licensed content brings in fans of that content. Which means more money for the people who create DbD. More money, more employees, more bug fixes, new content, more DbD all together.
If you're not a fan of more Dead by Daylight, what the heck are you doing on the forum lol
P.S. I don't think I would be a Shaun main, but more content is always welcome in my eyes.