Patch 3.2.1 -- Changes, why?
Dead by Daylight patch 3.2.1 has just gone live. The two major changes following this update are:
The Demogorgon's 'Shred' ability now breaks pallets by default.
The matchmaking algorithm for Survive With Friends now uses the highest ranked player's rank to find a killer, instead of the average of all the ranks.
Now this is my very first time in my 2,332 hours of playtime that I have taken to the forums with an issue and direct feedback. I would also like to hear what the rest of the community thinks of these changes, so please leave a comment below.
Firstly, the issue I have a lesser gripe with, the Demo's 'Shred' ability. On the killer's launch, I initially disliked playing against him. I found his ability to leap from a distance and damage the player with little to no cooldown on the ability was a bit broken. This has not changed, but with every killer, you swallow it and develop counterplay. This is not where my issue lies, clearly. The default ability to break pallets makes the Demogorgon essentially the Hillbilly without the insta-down and with ZERO charge up for breaking these pallets. It's just left-click right-click, boom, pallet gone; this has NO cooldown? Ridiculous.
I understand that Behavior makes all new content temporarily OP for both sides, killer and survivor, respectively alternating. They want to make the new content look like a worthwhile sale, I get it. From a gameplay perspective though... What's next? Adding a killer who just blatantly removes unused pallets? The Demogorgon's ability minimalizes the competitive aspect of the game by reducing pallets to a temporary stall, even more so than they were. -- I could continue but this is getting long winded and, again, im interested to see what the community thinks of this change.
Secondly, the matchmaking logic change. Personally, in all of my hours, I rarely play SWF, most of my nearly 2.5k hours are solo. That being said, I sometimes get the privilege of being able to play with my brother and cousin who both live extremely far from me. They don't get to play the game as much as I do and they are completely unequipped to play against killers at my tier. -- That being said, is it fair that I, a consistent rank 1, get to fall back and play a few games at rank 15 or so? No. Not completely, but I'm a singular survivor. Any good killer worth there salt will instantly recognize, pre-match or during the match, that Im in another skill level than the rest of my peers. Most often, theyll run right off and eliminate my team or put me in a disadvantageous position to then kill me.
What I'm saying is that I'm a single survivor and my actual effect on the game is severely limited if the killer recognizes what theyre up against. I became just another survivor doing another generator. Now with this recent change, I will have to play at my PEAK and I'll have to carry my team. Which will be impossible. I'm good, but most often not good enough to run a red ranked killer five freaking generators to escape.
I digress. I'm slightly irritated with this new change. These are some of my thoughts and I want to hear yours.
Comments
Not really. It just means the skill level is definitely all over the place. As a Killer, I wouldn't want to play against two almost-guaranteed potatoes and two Survivors almost guaranteed to be way better than me. That's not the goal of matchmaking.
@TAG Oh yeah, cuz solo queues are much better. You must not play solo survivor.
All I want is balance for both. You want balance for one side. I get it now.
You prefer to play against a survivor in your rank and his friends in rank 20?
I want balance for both. Two rank 20s and two rank 1s vs a rank 10 is not balance. At least with these changes, it means that the side that is more likely to be negatively impacted by the balance is the one making the conscious decision to skew the rank range something fierce.
I'd rather play against as many Survivors close to my rank as possible. But if someone decided to bring in a bunch of friends significantly separated from me in rank in either direction, I'd want the fourth person to at least be close to my rank.
How does the killer have a choice in going against survivors that are higher rank? They don't, especially if it's a swf. I've had this conversation with multiple people already. Multiple people have tried to tell you. If you had played killer then you would know killers have no idea what rank the survivors are until post game. Killers also cannot always know if a team is swf. Survivors joining at the same time does not always mean they are swf. Survivors can make their info private so the friends list can't be read, which is common practice.
Another arguement you brought forth is deranking which is not at all relevant. That is done by both killer and survivor players and is frowned upon but not yet punished for if they aren't dcing. It being done by both sides does not make it equal. It's a problem for everyone.
Your friend can CHOOSE to play with you. That's not a punishment. Or, they can play solo. Or, they can find teammates closer to them in level. Killers have not and cannot choose that for any of the survivors. Killers cannot choose what ranks they will go against. They can only hope that they will be close in rank (or hope they aren't). This was even more true before the change as swf match making could be and was abused.
If you still complain about this then you're probably one of those who enjoyed bullying low rank killers. No other reason to be upset.