MoM rework?
So it’s late at night and I think of a way to change MoM from being garbage to semi-useful, and also an anti-camper perk, while keeping the og spirit of MoM alive.
Also apologies if the formatting is awful, I’m on my iPad.
New perk description:
“When you are unhooked while the killer is within 32m of you, this perk gains a stack. When at 2 stacks, the next time you would be put into the dying state, ignore that damage.
While in the dying state, the killer can see your aura from 12m/14m/16m away. After being picked up by the killer, the perk deactivates.”
Explanation:
So this keeps the main part of the perk (an extra hit) alive but also gives a survivor a method of countering camping on themselves (you can’t borrowed time while unhooking yourself and so you need to either rely on randoms or be in a swf). I think being within x range is better than terror radius because insidious and also because if it was tied to tr then distressing double calm doc would get destroyed. Also, the *ignore that damage* clause is pretty important, since it means that if they were to be insta-downed from healthy, they remain in healthy, which means they couldn’t dead hard - I thought it’d be too strong if they could MOM -> DH -> DS (while yes they could MOM -> DS -> DH, it gives the killer a chance to slug them again if they don’t get away quick enough).
The reason I made it stack based is that it therefore only counters proper camping all game long - for example, you’re camped on first hook and second hook, so before your third you can MoM away. But if you’re being camped as the one survivor on hook at endgame but the killer hasn’t camped before then, it doesn’t punish them. Additionally, it only affects survivors on death hook who have been through 2 hook states already. This means that if you’re camped to struggle or if you try and fail at escaping, then no perk for you - make it more situational to make it more balanced.
The aura reading in the dying state isn’t really that important, but I know that current MoM has aura reading in healthy, and I also needed someting to tier it off of. Overall, I feel like having the aura reading in dying is far more of a disadvantage because if a killer wants to slug, you’re easily found. Also, if you’re being camped and tunneled, you probably won’t reach the healthy state without adrenaline.
Overall, I feel like this idea could use some tweaking (it’s 11pm what do you expect) but I’m pretty sure this could fix some of the biggest complaints form the survivor community:
-Bought Ash then MoM was nerfed to the ground - now it’s a decent perk again.
-Campers ruin the game - if you get camped, congrats you basically now have a free hit.
Also, it makes the perk go from Sole Survivor level of useless to, “I serve one purpose and serve it well, if you’re being camped a lot use me! If not, then don’t.”
And as killers, 9/10 if you play fair this perk won’t be an issue for you. It’s also much more fair during endgame, offering actual counterplay (don’t camp for the rest of the game) instead of with perks like bt which punish the killers for camping out of desperation and necessity.
The only issue I can see so far with this is if survivors hook bomb and so the killer doesn’t have a chance to move away. To fix that, a clause could be added saying “After being on the hook for 15 seconds, when next unhooked while the killer is within 32m”.
Hell, this could be changed to the range of Devour Hope (24m), but personally I think 32m is fine, as sometimes it will catch some of the smaller tr killers (hag, huntress) whereas bt won’t.
Comments
If they don't make is some what viable I hope they at least rework it, I bought Ash for the fact it was Ash but the perk was a added bonus. But now I don't run any of his teachable perks because they really aren't good at all
Hmm..not a bad idea but as you put in encourages hook bombing..even the 15 second timer wouldnt alleviate this..plus hook trading at the end game is quite common and there could be issues there as well
Yeah that’s the only issue I could see is hook bombing and endgame. Though, if a killer moves at 4.6 m/s (4.4m/s for slower, nurse doesn’t count because blink), they can theoretically move the 32m away in under 8 seconds, so perhaps increase it to 30? The killer can kick gens then, which should be enough time.
As for endgame trading, the only thought I could think of would be to just deactivate getting stacks during engame if you don’t already have any - survivors who have been camped can still recieve the benefit while those trying to hook trade won’t be able to activate the perk.
Even with protection hits registering better, that gives one of 2 scenarios:
-Swf abuse it, becomes like old MoM
-It remains as useless as it currently is.
Tbh I don’t see the protection hits working.
Well I certainly wouldnt be opposed to making mettle of man a perk to punish dedicated campers , but it must be done with care or it just becomes another f the killer perk
Obviously, which is why I tried my hardest to make it so it only impacts dedicated campers. The whole token system and all, and the fact that not even insidious can prevent it gaining stakcs/procing, unlike bt which doesn’t work vs insidious campers.
This is correct. The premise is very solid..just needs some tuning to avoid exploiting and itd be a much nicer mettle of man to deal with..leather face players would hate you though lol
What can I say, I’ve been basement-bubba-ed too many times :p
Also apparently the existance of P3 Claudette and trying to stealth even though they complain about looping is enough to be camped, it’s quite funny.
What do you think of the suggestion of the 30 second grace period for a killer to evacuate though? It leaves them enough time to do things around and leave before MoM triggers, and also prefents the hook bombing from adversely affecting the gameplay. If anyone stays near a hook for 30+ seconds they’re either dedicated to searching or a dedicated camper imo, so 30 seconds should be fair.
That could be sufficient..theres no way to know without a type of testing but I personally would not hate the idea
This sounds good but this will just mean survivors will rush unhooks before the killer even has time to walk away from the hook. There needs to be some kind of timer when you get hooked before you can receive a token.
This concept in general can be pretty easily abused to get the tokens, even if the killer isn't camping.
Honestly yeah it can be, but that's the same with any strong perk. A 30 second grace period should be good but then there's the issue of counting down 30 seconds as someone loops the killer nearby- again easily abused by a coordinated swf. But then again, I honestly can't think of something that cannot be abused while also trying to make a perk serve a useful purpose instead of either "Useless" or "F*ck the killer." Take, for example, the new ST perks- none of the perks are particularly "f the killer" and also imo pretty decent, yet everyone says they're underpowered and weak and useless.
I think as far as SWF goes this basically revert the perk back to the original OP status. They could just pair it with Borrowed and make absolutely sure to hook rush. This wouldn't counter camping this would encourage survivors to make plays that make camping irrelevant. Would make solo play even more annoying and SWF teams would just make it so they always got credit for the unhook in the TR.
IDK what they can do with it. Pretty funny though how they made a perk so OP that everyoen and I mean everyone was using it. To then make it so useless that ABSOLUTELY no one uses it.