"Power role"

I hear the term of "the power role" mentioned quite abit on these forums and youtube videos pertaining to DBD. I wanna know what your thoughts about the term in general. What does it mean in your own words and can you give an example of "the power role" in another game OUTSIDE of this genre.

Comments

  • @fluffymareep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/577854#Comment_577854

    Why would asking your opinion on something be baiting? o.o;

    Because, youve been like asking me bait questions and i thought you were already experienced at the games. Im sorry for assuming.

  • @Visionmaker said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/577854#Comment_577854

    They're dumb AI and they follow scripted pathing, for the most part. You win by playing stealth and sneaking past them to complete the objectives.

    So is it like outlast?

  • @PolarBear said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/577637#Comment_577637

    Do you think killers and survivors should be equal? Should 1 survivor be able to distract the killer for the whole duration of the match even if both players skill is equal?

    lol this is possibly the worst post I’ve ever seen, seriously...definition of entitlement. “I’m playing killer therefore that means I must be able to kill this person regardless if he’s better than me”.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/577876#Comment_577876

    Because, youve been like asking me bait questions and i thought you were already experienced at the games. Im sorry for assuming.

    Nah, I genuinely don't know and I thought you might. It's okay. No problems. C:

  • @fluffymareep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/577879#Comment_577879

    Nah, I genuinely don't know and I thought you might. It's okay. No problems. C:

    I just checked your comments again. I always see this forum as sarcastic so my brain imagined a smiley face at the end of every comment, when there was actually none. It's good to see a genuine identity i can relate to in all of this forum.

  • @LordGlint said:

    @Boss I feel like the term simply refers to any role in which you are forced to respond to. Shao Kahn as the final boss in mortal kombat isnt switching up his playstyle depending on which character you choose. Hes gonna throw his hammer either way. You have to respond to HIM be dodging that hammer. The devs of mortal kombat dont feel the need to buff up their boss because he doesnt win enough or something. The game doesnt have to be fair to Shao Kahn. Unfortunately when "the boss" is a living person... That person wants an equal chance of winning.

    If youve ever played a match of Overwatch with one of the MANY player made "Boss battles", the best ones are when any single player in the team AGAINST the boss can avoid simply being rushed down. Its ok if the boss doesnt win half the time. Its actually fairly normal.

    It's why I answered within the context of DbD.

    Singleplayer games don't have to worry about the fun- & balance factor for the player-less side.

    Hence I find it a bad comparison for this question.

  • @Boss But the initial question was about the term itself. I even asked people to think OUTSIDE the genre, so i dunno why ppl keep revolving around DBD and other asymmetrical games.

  • @LordGlint said:

    @Boss But the initial question was about the term itself. I even asked people to think OUTSIDE the genre, so i dunno why ppl keep revolving around DBD and other asymmetrical games.

    Cause that's what these forums are for?

    If you don't want it involving DbD, then this should be in the Off-topic subforum.

  • @Boss Maybe, lol. I DID avoid writing a book for an opening text though, and I think I was quite clear.

  • @LordGlint said:

    @Boss Maybe, lol. I DID avoid writing a book for an opening text though, and I think I was quite clear.

    I don't really care if you keep it short or not, if i think it's a good subject, i'll read it. (I hate text with no paragraphs though.) 😫

  • @Boss So am I right in assuming you commented based off the title alone?

  • @LordGlint said:

    @Boss So am I right in assuming you commented based off the title alone?

    No.

  • @Gardenia said:

    In this game, the Killer is the power role actually.

    How I view it, the Survivors can't kill you, only stun you briefly. They react to what you do, if you're a good killer applying appropriate pressure with a good strategy, yes they may flashlight you and do all they can but for the majority of the time.... they're running away from you.

    I don't like the reasoning used in this argument. It pre-supposes it's own conclusion then works backwards to link up 'power-rol = possible actions'. The killer is declared the power-role simply because they kill and survivors don't.

    If I were to argue that survivors must be the power-role because the killer is unable to do the generators and escape, it would be absurd, but it's the same standards of reasoning you've employed.

  • @LordGlint said:

    @Bbbrian2013 So in Dark Souls, if im playing alone against a boss, im the power role, but if I bring a teammate...the boss is?


    You always are in dark souls. Except when you play the ringed city dlc boss in which its pvp.

  • "Power Role" is usually associated with Killers... by Killers. So, because of this, they think that they should be able to stomp every survivor within a few seconds.

    Listen, if you get run around by 1 Survivor for a long time, you are just bad and your "I'm power role i should win every chase ez lol nerf survivors" isn't valid here.

  • The part where Mr. X smashes through a wall in the RPD (was watching Prod play the game) and that song started playing had me in tears on the floor.

    Equal parts jump scare and blissful joy!

  • @FeelsVeryBadMan said:

    "Power Role" is usually associated with Killers... by Killers. So, because of this, they think that they should be able to stomp every survivor within a few seconds.

    Listen, if you get run around by 1 Survivor for a long time, you are just bad and your "I'm power role i should win every chase ez lol nerf survivors" isn't valid here.

    Agreed. Power role does not mean you are stronger that the other team. Just that you are stronger than the individual members.

    That just means that a Survivor can't take you on in a direct confrontation and win given equally skilled players.

    All that means is that given at there is exactly 1 Survivor the Killer will nearly always win. And he does, notice all of the people complaining about Survivor being too hard during the hatch close situation. That's exactly what you would expect if the Killer is the power role.

    When a Survivor is chasing the Killer for awhile he isn't actually 1v1ing the Killer. The other 3 Survivors doing gens is critical to the success of the Survivor in a chase. A bit like how the assault class in evolve can tank the Monsters attacks but still relies on his team to actually get the Monster under control.

    Also. Killers do win nearly every chase. It can just take them forever to do so to the point of not being worth it. I consider this a flaw with the game since it leads to skewed priorities. Compare that with Deathgarden where the scavanger are escaping all the time in a chase, the entire strategy in that game is about how to lose the Hunter as a result. However that does not make the Hunter not a power role.

    Note how the tactic in a "1v1" is essentially "stop being in a 1v1" or "stall until my team has everything under control" depending on the game. Both strategies are exactly what you would expect when someone encounters a power role as opposed to beating them directly.

1 2 ›