Perk system addition (and potential NOED rework)

Ok so basically. In addition to the normal 4 perk slots (which for the rest of this thread will be called "free slots") both Killers and Survivors will get 2 special perk slots.

These special perk slots don't allow for just any perk to be equipped. No this isn't one of those character specific slot things. Instead it only allows a specific TYPE of perk to be equipped.

For Survivors there is:

A communication perk slot which allows for - Bond, Empathy, Aftercare, Kindred, Buckle up, Wake up

and

A cooperation perk slot - Vigil, Leader, Prove thyself, Open handed, Streetwise, Up the anti

In addition to those perks WGLF can be used in either of these slots. It would simply state it on the perk itself as an exception to the normal rule.

For Killers there is:

A hex perk slot which allows for - NOED, TOTH, Ruin, Haunted grounds, Lullaby, The Third Seal

and

An obsession slot which allows for - Dying light, PWYF, STBFL, Rancor, Remember me, Dark devotion and a new perk I'm going to suggest here.

Note: You can still use free slots to take more than one of these perks. They are thus not mutually exclusive.

So for a NOED rework:

While this Hex is active you will gain a token each time that a generator is completed up to a maximum of 3/4/5.

Once the exit gates are powered all survivors gain the exposed effect while you have at least 1 token and you gain a 1% movement speed increase for each dull totem. Each time you down a healthy survivor you will consume a token.

What this means is that if NOED is your hex perk then survivors who are going around trying to find the hex will still eventually find it making a particular part of this perk system redesign more effective (more on that in a sec). It also means that A: No unlimited instadowns and B: You still have to defend the hex in order to make it work in an endgame build. Unlike most hex perks it still has an effect once cleansed so it still works as an endgame perk unlike other hex perks.

The new obsession perk (neutral):

Personal Grudge - While in a chase with your obsession you gain bloodlust 50/75/100% faster and the effects of bloodlust are not lost when breaking a pallet or hitting the obsession.

What does this do to help the game?

A: It means that player leveling their first Killer will have access to an obsession perk without needing any specific Killer

B: It helps teach new players how bloodlust works. Specifically by pointing out that bloodlust is normally lost when breaking a pallet or hitting the obsession, the exception that proves the rule. To us that may be common knowledge

C: It adds a low skill, widely applicable reason for why being the obsession is a risk. Sure it's not quite like what an inherent obsession effect would have. But it's close enough, which leads me onto the most important thing to address:

Why do any of this at all in the first place?

Well you see this entire system actually helps with a bunch of issues:

A: SWF having so much more info than Solos - Now that there is an entire perk slot dedicated towards ally tracking perks that means that a Solo player can have Kindred while a SWF player can't gain much additional use out of perks like these and would only get any value out of wake up and buckle up, even then not as much as Solo's do.

B: Really weak but interesting perks seeing more use - For survivors have you ever seen anyone using open hand? What about streetwise or vigil? I didn't think so. These perks don't really fit into any builds. Even prove thyself only is enough to negate the penalty for working on a generator together. Having a slot for them means these perks can be more valuable.

C: Indirect buffs and consistency - Having a hex totem and an obsession in nearly every game means perk builds for survivors are more likely to take that into account. That means perks like detectives hunch and small game are far more valuable. It also makes players more likely to be searching for a hex totem in the first place since they know there will be one somewhere. At the same time this means perks like DS and Mettle of man will almost always have their primary weakness come into play: The obsession perks that are supposed to make them risky.

E: Bridging the gap between roles - Something that is pretty obvious about this list is that the special Killer perks are meta perks and critical ability's while the special Survivor perks are low tier perks that don't see much use. What this means is that in the current state of the game, this allows for Killer's to get better perk builds than Survivors by default. Given the currently Survivor sided meta this is a very good thing for the game. In addition to that the Killer perks here are also harder to use than the Survivor perks thus making this less true at low ranks where the Killer isn't as weak.

I'm thinking of suggesting a cooperation perk but it's mostly all covered by leader. Any ideas?

Also what do you all think of the concept as a whole?

Btw I don't give a ######### about the additional total perks, that's not why I'm making this so don't bother pointing out the flaws in that kind of balancing method cuz I know them.

Comments

  • @Tensor said:

    TLDR

    The 4 perks we have are still normal.

    Survivors have a dedicated perk slot for ally tracking and a perk slot for general party buffs

    Killers have a dedicated perk slot for hex totems and a perk slot for obsession perks

    The specific perks that can go in those slots is listed in the OP

    WGLF can go in any survivor perk slot as an exception to the rule

  • Survivor need a exhaustion perk slot.

    But, overall I dont mind the concept.

    Will they be the normal slots, or additional slots?

  • @Tensor said:

    Survivor need a exhaustion perk slot.

    But, overall I dont mind the concept.

    Will they be the normal slots, or additional slots?

    @Tensor additional for a total of 6 perks. Which is why I didn't want it to be exhaustion for one of them as that would make the insane looping builds even stronger. I considered doing that but reducing the free slots by 1, however that probably would have too much backlash considering how it prevents some off meta builds that exist right now.

    Just imaging DH/BL/SB/Lithe + DS + MOM + BT + Adrenaline on every survivor.

  • Ok so basically.

    i was reading only first sentence. not gonna happen. but there are too many perks already and 4 slots are bad... maybe 5 since most of the builds you can do , are not always what do you want. :D i want a build for stealth for example , with iron will , urban evasion, quick and quiet and poised.. but i need healing too (self care) or altruistic (bt) ...

  • Yup, I love this idea. It's great.

  • I like this!

    As a Survivor main, I do quiver at all Killers running RUIN and StBfL... but hey!

    It means that I will be able to run Bond/Leader/Iron Will/We'll Make It/Borrowed Time/Quick N Quiet

    :D

  • I only read your short summary, not the original op, therefore sorry if I'm missing something.

    Basically, I think 6 perk slots are too many. It would most likely widen the gap between solo players and SWF which is probably not what you want.

    Also, since you could only use certain perks in these slots, it would make for even less perk variety in the middle and high ranks.

  • I think 6 perks causes a lot more balance issues.

    The devs don't like the bloodlust mechanic, one of the fog whisperers said they would like to remove it if they can.

    Cooperation perks also buff swf a lot more than solo and could make games go even faster.

    Some of the perks slots are also pay only dlc as they are licensed so it could be considered on the p2w side as it could take a long time to get 4 perks in the shrine.

    It also means if a dlc comes out with a 5th or 6th perk slot for one side the other would need one.

    I think the perk system is fine as it, some less useful ones need heavily reworked so players want to use them but in games such as this a meta will always be around it's just how gamers are they use what benefits them most.

    This won't change much except add another 2 lots to add to a meta and make it harder overall to balance.

  • @liviu1911 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/60691/perk-system-addition-and-potential-noed-rework

    i was reading only first sentence. not gonna happen. but there are too many perks already and 4 slots are bad... maybe 5 since most of the builds you can do , are not always what do you want. :D i want a build for stealth for example , with iron will , urban evasion, quick and quiet and poised.. but i need healing too (self care) or altruistic (bt) ...

    @liviu1911 read the other sentences, they are important. The build you just listed would still be impossible

  • @NoShinyPony said:

    I only read your short summary, not the original op, therefore sorry if I'm missing something.

    Basically, I think 6 perk slots are too many. It would most likely widen the gap between solo players and SWF which is probably not what you want.

    Also, since you could only use certain perks in these slots, it would make for even less perk variety in the middle and high ranks.

    @NoShinyPony if I just added 2 more perk slots and nothing else then that would be true. However that's not what I did.

    Read the damn OP cuz it lists the perks that can be used in each slot. I'm telling you know SWF isn't getting that much out of it while Solo's are going to get quite a bit.

  • I would like to remind everyone that the pregame chat exists and can be used to inform your team of your perk combo and strategy even in solo's. Being able to know your team's perks is not exclusive to SWF

  • This would allow me to permanently lock in Devour Hope while i can equip another one to help me with making it get Tokens.


    Naturally, i'd love to have this.

  • oh god permanent bloodlust on the obsession?

    It´s an interesting idea but I think making bloodlust not go away is just going to incentivise tunneling the obsession and they won´t be able to do anything because YOUR FAST AS F*** BOIIIIIIII

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/450402#Comment_450402

    @liviu1911 read the other sentences, they are important. The build you just listed would still be impossible

    no need to read, i'm not interested in your idea, i just want at least 2 more perk slots, for better builds, but will never happen, because those slots don't bring money to devs :))

  • No thanks. The game is poorly balanced as it is. Adding 8 more perks for a killer to deal with isn’t viable.

  • @legion_main said:

    oh god permanent bloodlust on the obsession?

    It´s an interesting idea but I think making bloodlust not go away is just going to incentivise tunneling the obsession and they won´t be able to do anything because YOUR FAST AS F*** BOIIIIIIII

    @legion_main that's not how tunneling works

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/450509#Comment_450509

    @NoShinyPony if I just added 2 more perk slots and nothing else then that would be true. However that's not what I did.

    Read the damn OP cuz it lists the perks that can be used in each slot. I'm telling you know SWF isn't getting that much out of it while Solo's are going to get quite a bit.

    @NuclearBurrito Wow, you are rude, and also for no reason. I wrote "... since you could only use certain perks in these slots..." and you reply with "if I just added 2 more perk slots and nothing else then that would be true". You are the one who isn't paying attention to what the other person is writing, not the other way around.

    However, short explanation:

    The killer's perk slot for hex perks would almost always be used for Ruin, and so on.

    The "team buff" perk would be used for Prove Thyself, and SWF groups could even better genrush while still having all the 4 perk slots for BT, DS, MoM, DH or ADRE. And so on.

    Really, if you want to have a reasonable discussion about your ideas, stop with this rudeness.

  • Noed is fine the way it is.


    Stop.