Question for some long time players about the New Match Making System.

Let me preface this by stating... I know there is some people who couldn't or had trouble getting matches in this game. That the purpose of the new system is to fix what is called "edge" cases.

This question isn't for new players who have not played for a long time on the old match making system nor for those who would be considered those "edge" cases.

I'm near Toronto Canada so I'm lucky that I was normally finding lobbies within a few seconds for either side. Outside of any events or anything that borked up the queues for a bit.

--

The devs stated the maximum wait times they measure on their previous iteration of the MM before they break up the regions a bit. I don't understand why there was no minimum quoted, or better yet, an average, however we seen a MAX number.

As a long time player, how do you feel about the new wait times?

Me, personally. I hate it. I'm trying to wrap my head around BHVR justifying a possible 20x increase in wait times for long time players. So was curious what others thought about it.

I tried the last few nights when this new system was in place to happily accept waiting an extra minute or two to get into a lobby... but... It is very hard for me to do this.

Comments

  • I've had the game for about a year and a half now, watched it since release from YouTubers, if that counts for anything, and I kind of like it? I like the implication of a timer, at least I know I'll be here for awhile to go and do something real quick, but I can see how it's an issue. People want to go into DbD playing the game, not staring at the lobby all day. I just think they should keep the timer system but bring back the old ranking system (before the chaser, gatekeeper, all that stuff came in) and start implementing rewards for ranking. That is just a dream though...

  • @Chaotic_Riddle

    The timer is the only good part about the new match making system.


    It just seems really weird to me that I go from finding lobbies almost instantly to now a minute or over. It is a bit selfish of me to want my faster lobby times back, but why does my times get ruined because of "edge" cases?

    I'm just blown away and can't wrap my head around what is happening with the new Match Making System.

    If we were getting paired up like in the old system, at least I'd feel there was head way done. However you wait longer for a lobby for what could be a bad lobby.

    Wait a minute... Get into a lobby... Dodged...

    Wait a minute... Get into another lobby... Dodged...

    Wait a minute... Get into another lobby... Bag Ping... Leave Lobby...

    Wait a minute... Get into another lobby... match starts... No one in your rank.. players disconnect in the match...

    Worse if you are killer.. the lobbies are double that time... Go through 10 minutes of bullshit to get into a match that players disconnect from or aren't matched to your skill level.

    Not to mention... the DCs during loading... the 3 man bugged lobbies that still seem in place.

    I feel like we are getting a shaft shoved up our asses by BHVR as a long time player. Cause if I was a new player, I wouldn't know any difference and be fine (for the most part) with everything going on.

    I don't know.. BHVR has taking a step back on the Match Making system, cause it certainly doesn't feel like any forward movement was made on the new system.

  • I've been playing for about 18 months on console. Old matchmaking was fine up until Christmas roughly, I think a lot of people just moved on to another game (SWF always took way too long to find lobbies), since then I have found it almost impossible to find a lobby unless I played killer, which I don't mind but it sucks knowing you can't play survivor. I couldn't even find survivor lobbies for the lunar event

    The new matchmaking solved this problem for me but now a lot of you are having the same problems I've had for the last 3 months or so and it sucks. The new matchmaking was fine( apart from rank disparity) until they reintroduced it, whatever they changed ruined the game for me I'm getting old matchmaking survivor times 5-10 mins to find a lobby playing solo and it takes about 10 minutes to find a killer game, killer was always instant lobbies no matter what matchmaking system.

    Honestly they need to have an in depth look at the player bases for all platforms and devise a fair matchmaking system for each. A lot of PC players prefer the old system so let them have it, that system sucks for console so let us have the first version of the new matchmaking just sort out the rank situation. This newer version of the matchmaking is the worst of the lot im struggling to find lobbies on both side's.

  • @ShaneQ

    The weird thing is with this new Match Making system..

    So way back at Feb 15 there is an update for the new MM. Dev answers some questions. In those answers they basically say... This is mostly done, but we need a few more iterations on the live environment. They had been doing background testing of the new MM already for 8 weeks prior to that.

    Then on the 15th of March, the new MM was officially launched live for everyone.

    ---

    Now what happened a couple of days ago... They reverted the system to the old one, than back and we got an update which says...

    "We will be separating the matchmaking queues in three regions : AMERICA, EMEA, APAC."


    What? You are doing this now?.. How come this wasn't thought about before?... Who is making this new Match Making system?.. Is it a project for some high school students?


    Man.


    I don't know.. I can't still understand what is happening here.

  • @TheBean

    I know right,

    I remember when it first got delayed it was because their algorithm wasn't accounting for players who would leave a lobby so their space would never fill up etc. At the time I couldn't believe they did not think of that far ahead. I hate bashing the devs because they really are trying but damn they dropped the ball here.

  • The new wait times are slower for me, so naturally i don't like them.

    It makes sense because you need to satisfy as many people as possible, but i'm selfish enough to still not like it.

    I'd accept it, but not like it.

  • @Boss

    I know... and I feel petty even comparing my instant lobby feel to a minute and over.. and I don't want to complain about it.. I love this game so much but this hurts so bad. I can put up with allot in this game.. but not sure how much longer I'll be able to handle this one.

    They handed some of us a beautiful system we dredged through the mud to get to.. and now they yank it from us.

    Why did we spend all the time in the beginning going through all this ######### just to end up with a system that is inferior to the previous one.

    The Devs are touting that max min and 2 minute wait time like it was some stroke of genius... No... this can't be the bar that is set.

    They give a max number on those lobby times cause the min and average are soo close to the max, you state the max to make people think, your min time could be way lower when it isn't.

    The pop has taken a "normal" dip during this testing phase... and it is still 1 or 2 minute wait time?.. what happens in the summer when the pop doubles?... are we going to look at 3 to 5 minute times? Cause this system feels pretty dam linear.

    They may have helped those edge cases but they squashed everyone else in the process... which makes no sense.

    The time doesn't even feel like it was split across the whole community.. How can you have "edge" cases adding over 50 seconds to match making, when it only took a few seconds previously...

    What manager signs off on such inefficiency?

    They need to explain more as to why we have should stay and look forward to longer wait times on lobbies... when allot of us went through all this bullshit ######### to get what we got, then to take that away.

    I'm getting so mad thinking about this... I keep writing novels.

  • The wait times are worse. I never had que times almost at all previously bar odd exceptions like events anyway.

  • @Blueberry

    I know it is a joke. I watched some streamers last night.. and was thinking about the previous nights when the new MM was in place.. and you see them tabbing out to fill in the dead time while they wait. When those same streamers were getting instant lobbies aswell.

    I wonder how long they will keep that up.

    I bet.. I'm gonna call this one now...

    Fog Whispers will get priority in their Match Making so the perception will be to viewer, the game is performing instant lobbies still while we all sit waiting in the lobbies.

  • I've played this game long enough to be called a veteran, it's more than 30 months and thousand of hours I've spent, but nothing in these last 30 months have been more worse than the current matchmaking system, as the call it, the newly upgraded matchmaking system. I tell you, nothing's changed. Its probably worse now.