What if Thanatophobia and Dying Light were switched?

Let me explain:

Dying Light, as it is now, only applies in a manner that is beneficial to the killer when the obsession is dead. This naturally leads to killers getting rid of the obsession as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Thanatophobia only applies while survivors are injured, dying, or hooked. This naturally leads to it being garbage.

What if, instead, Thanatophobia applied a debuff for each dead survivor (like the name implies it should), and Dying Light applied a debuff while the obsession was injured, dying, or hooked (debuff would increase depending on the state), but without giving them the action speed bonus at any point (since they no longer need to be removed from the trial, this is no longer a risk/reward kind of thing, and thus wouldn't warrant that)?

Comments

  • That actually makes sense, Thanatophobia is the fear of death and Dying light sounds alot better with this, I like



    edit:Fixed grammer mistake

  • @Hoodied said:

    That actually makes sense, Thanatophobia is the fear of death and Dying light sounds alot better with this, I like

    edit:Fixed grammer mistake

    Indeed, and the justification for Dying Light becoming stronger depending on the state of the obsession is also more accurate to its name, since the "light" (obsession) is literally dying.

  • Simple, but effective.

    I'm seeing a pattern of Orion knowing his #########.

    What about the values on the Perks btw?

  • @Boss said:

    Simple, but effective.

    I'm seeing a pattern of Orion knowing his #########.

    What about the values on the Perks btw?

    [nearly 8000 comments later]

    Boss: Y'know, I think I'm starting to see a pattern.

    The values would have to be worked out by the devs. I don't have the necessary data.

  • Would be OP and demoralizing to the survivors.

    3 vs 1 is hard enough, say someone disconnected at the start of the game, the 3 survivors remaining with 5 gens to go would now have at least 1 debuff applied.

    Or

    2 survivors left and a gen to go. Or 3 survivors and 2 gens. It's doable. Situations like this though would remain pointless and encourage even more of a hatch camping game. 1-2 perma debuffs for the dead survivors, injure 1 in a chase and the last gen might take so long that survivors dont bother to try. Just go straight to hatch camp mode.

    Lastly if you have 2 survivors dead with a few gens to go its likely the last 2 will be hatch camping anyway. So a repair spedd nerf is worthless. Chances are whoever you find then wont be getting away either so a healing speed nerf would be useless to survivors.

    Basically having a strong Thana apply to dead survivors would either be useless or demoralizing.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/366336#Comment_366336

    [nearly 8000 comments later]

    Boss: Y'know, I think I'm starting to see a pattern.

    The values would have to be worked out by the devs. I don't have the necessary data.

    I'm not gonna read through 8k comments to confirm that.

  • @The_Crusader said:

    Would be OP and demoralizing to the survivors.

    3 vs 1 is hard enough, say someone disconnected at the start of the game, the 3 survivors remaining with 5 gens to go would now have at least 1 debuff applied.

    Or

    2 survivors left and a gen to go. Or 3 survivors and 2 gens. It's doable. Situations like this though would remain pointless and encourage even more of a hatch camping game. 1-2 perma debuffs for the dead survivors, injure 1 in a chase and the last gen might take so long that survivors dont bother to try. Just go straight to hatch camp mode.

    Lastly if you have 2 survivors dead with a few gens to go its likely the last 2 will be hatch camping anyway. So a repair spedd nerf is worthless. Chances are whoever you find then wont be getting away either so a healing speed nerf would be useless to survivors.

    Basically having a strong Thana apply to dead survivors would either be useless or demoralizing.

    Obviously the percentages would have to be worked out so as not to be oppressive. Hell, maybe it could affect something other than repair speed. I said "a debuff" for a reason, it doesn't necessarily have to be repair speed. Also, in case it wasn't clear, Thanatophobia would no longer apply except when survivors died. So injuries and hooks wouldn't matter.

  • @Orion why are you not as appreciated as you should be? This is a smart idea. For dying light maybe it could be 9% when the obsession is injured, 15% when they're dying state and 20% when they're on hook. It's probably a little ez for killer but it could be tweaked.

  • @Poweas I appreciate myself just fine. :P

    In all seriousness, if that's supposed to be a debuff to all interaction speeds, it might be too high.

  • @Orion said:

    @Poweas I appreciate myself just fine. :P

    In all seriousness, if that's supposed to be a debuff to all interaction speeds, it might be too high.

    Just gens really @Orion . Healing or Vaulting would be so bad if it applied to all.

  • @Poweas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/366382#Comment_366382

    Just gens really @Orion . Healing or Vaulting would be so bad if it applied to all.

    @Poweas I disagree. I think generators are already at the maximum tolerable limit (you yourself said that playing survivor is boring because you basically just hold M1), and if you want high numbers, it should affect something else, like vaulting or healing.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/366387#Comment_366387

    @Poweas I disagree. I think generators are already at the maximum tolerable limit (you yourself said that playing survivor is boring because you basically just hold M1), and if you want high numbers, it should affect something else, like vaulting or healing.

    Yeah true, secondary objective FTW! But yeah maybe if it affects healing or move speed actually by 2%/3%/4%

  • @Poweas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/366391#Comment_366391

    Yeah true, secondary objective FTW! But yeah maybe if it affects healing or move speed actually by 2%/3%/4%

    Not move speed, vaulting speed. Move speed is a delicate thing.

  • I wish that with Thana as it currently is, a dead survivor would count as an injured survivor so the small 4% or 5% debuff would be permanent. That’s not a huge number like DL so it wouldn’t be game breaking or anything and makes more sense to me.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/366364#Comment_366364

    Obviously the percentages would have to be worked out so as not to be oppressive. Hell, maybe it could affect something other than repair speed. I said "a debuff" for a reason, it doesn't necessarily have to be repair speed. Also, in case it wasn't clear, Thanatophobia would no longer apply except when survivors died. So injuries and hooks wouldn't matter.

    Does that not turn into dying light then though? where it's optimal to tunnel a survivor out as early as possible?

    The thing with thana now is, more survivors alive = more injured/hooked/dying = buys you more time since gens are slowed down.

    With this one more survivors dead = buys you more time with debuff, but with more survivors dead you don't need that debuff as much.

    Like when it starts to get good with 2 survivors dead, well if you've got only 2 survivors left chances are they aren't going to get very much done anyway.