Ranks Should Be Abolished (Again)
I discussed this about a month ago, but now the problems are worse, so I'll reiterate:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranks:
- Do not reflect skill to a significant enough degree to warrant such a system
- Do not provide rewards for achieving better ranks
- Lengthen queue times substantially
- Reduce connection quality across all matches
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally:
If the goal of ranks is to determine a player's individual skill level:
- Why are Emblems influenced so heavily by enemy/teammate action?
If the goal of ranks is to protect players, by separating them into skill groups:
- Why does it reset monthly? When that will separate players more by how often they play, rather than how well they play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Behavior:
Behavior themselves have made it clear they're aiming for a more casual direction for Dead by Daylight. Both with their core gameplay philosophies and updates. Whether it's statements like "not all killers will be viable a high ranks", or the long wait in between balance changes, or the constant and often detrimental performance issues and bugs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abolishment:
Ranks do not provide enough tangible benefits to justify their existence. Removing this pseudo ranking system entirely would merit the game more as a whole. As it would improve matchmaking times and connection quality across all games.
Efforts could then be reallocated to balance, optimization, or which area the "Rank Design Team" can apply themselves in. As opposed to trying to fix a system that doesn't belong in the first place.
Comments
I wouldn't mind but I'm worried about new people. It's not fun getting stomped immediately after trying the game for the first time
There are systems that could be put in place to protect new players if so necessary.
Most other games put you in matches based on a range of playtime for a while. To avoid throwing you against someone with hundreds of hours right off the bat.
However, that is a separate issue entirely. And can be treated individually.
@Eveline
ranks 13-20 should stay as they are genuinely newer players. once you get past that, however, I agree the ranking system should be removed and you can't drop back into ranks 13-20 to prevent people from going up there to bully
This pretty much happens anyway though. Also... not sure how my text got above your quote. XD
As much as people claim rank doesn't mean anything, it does seperate the experienced players from the new players.
“To an extent”, is the caveat.
But past 30 or so hours, the difference is minimal. The current ranking system moreso measures your active play time, rather than your skill level.
This was true before and it’s even worse now: but the ranking system will still match you against players above and below your skill level consistently.
Removing it and implementing a temporary system that matches new players together (like most games have) would be much better.
@Mr_K
It doesn't really, it's always been easy to rank up and all it does is lump less skilled players into the area where it's less casual, that is why a lot of long time players for a more casual experience derank.
The problem is a rank 12 can easily be better than a rank one on either side, someone can stay at that bracket all month and its even easier now with this change so they can get matched more with newer players.
This is why ranking is not really needed anymore but maybe a ladder system instead so you have something to work towards, it's hard to measure what skill is in this game, also making each side do specific things removes options of what you want to do.
A stat based match making system is what is needed Imo which ignores rank completely and tried to pit you versus players of equal ability.
There are a few different way the system could be adjusted to function better. However, it’s all more trouble than it’s worth, just dismantling it would be of greater benefit.
@twistedmonkey
It would still need match making to seperate the player base, you should never want new players mixed with vets.
What also then happens to the rank steam achievements should they be removed from everyone as they are no longer available.
If the matchmaking is the overall problem fix that and then leave ranking for a goal to achieve each month.
Yeah! Down with the ranks!
Just wait until I get the last 2 survivor rank achievements.
Abolish the rank and have crossplatform with everyone.
Sounds like the perfect clown fiesta, but why not
I addressed the concerns about new players in a different comment.
Also, achievements are a very trivial matter compared to the overall quality of the game. Even so, I don’t believe it would be too difficult to readjust the achievements after the fact.
Xbox Live/PSN achievements have done this in the past, and I’d imagine Steam has systems in place to do the game.
@twistedmonkey
Not sure if you’re joking, but once console is 60 fps and dedicated servers roll around, I’d be completely down for Cross Play and Progression.
@Master
Well considering how long it takes for these changes to be implemented, I’d say you have plenty of time.
@Peasant
No , if there are No Ranks beginners would have a hard time running into experienced players..
The new Ranking System is true that it is somewhat unfair but I Think it'd Fix Queue time issues on Console to some point ... When Rank Reset many players are gonna get pushed around the same Ranks .. resulting in fast queue times .. except Probably Red Ranks are going to still be awful since few players would make it there now. Just my speculation
Isn't the point of the new matchmaking system that if there are no people at your rank, the matchmaking system starts looking for people further away from your rank? If that's the case then the ranking system can stay because I don't want to be giving rank 1s easy wins.
When I was new I got stomped immediately by not good players Bc I didn’t know what I was doing at all.
Both the ranking and the matchmaking system aren't working well at the moment. But that doesn't mean that ranks should be abolished. It simply means that they should be replaced with better working systems.
I don’t think I hit a single skill check the first day I played. I started cleansing totems and handing items to teammates.
@HeroLives