Invoking Salt is a fun mechanic

Invoking Salt, the new item that you added to 2v8, is a very fun mechanic. I believe it could be adapted to 1v4 as a means to provide slight relief for survivors struggling with slugging.

My pitch:

  • Add 2 chests to the map
  • Make 1 chest guaranteed to have an Invoking Salt
  • The survivor uses the item
  • The survivor must complete a ~60s interaction to gain a single use "Unbreakable" buff
  • 2 survivors max can participate
  • Unbreakable: this survivor may pick themselves up after fully recovering. Used after any other survivor's perks that allow them to pick themselves up
  • If the interaction is fully interrupted, the item is destroyed and the buff is lost
  • Add an extremely rare chance for them to drop naturally from chests to encourage opening Chests and Rummaging as more worthwhile side objectives

Great job with this item! I hope to see something like it added to 1v4 someday, even if it's not used for slugging relief.

Comments

  • Hex: Face the Darkness.

  • @NeverSolus said:

    Hex: Face the Darkness.

    So we agree that certain perks provide extra counterplay against specific mechanics, just like Lightborn.

    If you think it out for a bit longer, once survivors know this perk is in play they'd ideally wait to use it until they've cleansed the hex (among other methods of counterplay), but this is meant as a lifeline in average-to-above-average level games where slugging is more common.

  • It's nice to see innovation with items, this has a unique model and VFX/SFX, and the benefit is interesting albeit challenging to get done in 2v8.

    I really hope we can look forward to more new items in 1v4!

  • Thanks for the kind words, folks! As you get more time with this item, I'd love to get your thoughts on its value vs. in-game time investment. Do you see this being something you'll want to actively use in Trials, or more of an "on occasion" thing?

  • @ThatRyanB said:

    Thanks for the kind words, folks! As you get more time with this item, I'd love to get your thoughts on its value vs. in-game time investment. Do you see this being something you'll want to actively use in Trials, or more of an "on occasion" thing?

    Personally, now that Scout starts with a Key in 2v8, I bounce from chest to chest on my way between gens hoping I find an Invoking Salt and use it pretty much immediately, assuming it's safe to do so. But even on other classes it's usually worth it to search a chest or 2 manually on the off chance you find one, especially now that chests are plentiful.

    I think you guys hit a great spot of time investment vs. reward. I like how keys can speed up the process a little bit but without going overboard. Keep up the good work!