Whenever 2v8 comes out, it makes me think how 5v5 would have been
Don't get me wrong, I like 2v8 and I actually play more survivor on it than I do killer (mainly for the queue times but mostly for the fun of it) but I do wonder how their proposed 5v5 would have gone.
In case nobody was aware, way back before the first iterations of game modes, the survey had asked what we wanted, which is why we got 2v8, chaos shuffle and lights out. 5v5 was also an option, a team of 4 survivors and a killer vs another team.
With how 2v8 has progressed with slowly adding killers and adjustments to gen speeds, I could easily have seen 5v5 see similar adjustments. And the 2v8 maps could have accommodated this as well, assuming everyone would be on the same map.
Adding to this, it could also bridge the gap between killer strengths and balancing, survivor balance in general, and most importantly it could lower the Us VS Them toxicity, at least when it comes to this mode since you would need to cooperate with both sides. It would come with the drawback of general toxicity and not meeting expectations your teammates have for you, but I feel that's a net positive compared to the balancing potential this mode would bring.
The only other question I'd have is how teams would interact with each other, if at all. Would they be physically in the map, having to weigh wasting resources to sabotage the other team or would they be more along the lines of ghosting, where you can see where the enemy team is but can't interact in a meaningful way. Maybe even score based on resources used compared to the other team? It's an interesting thought to me at least.
Anyway I wrote this while waiting in a 2v8 queue.
Comments
5v5 was a mode i wanted too. Could just imagine two teams in two separate colours lol
I personally don't want a killer being on my "team". I'd try the mode for sure but that's a mode that would feel "gamey" or like a sport.
I've been craving MLO though so now that 2v8 is a thing I'd love to see MLO get turned into 1v8. not that I'm trying to hijack the topic.
I'll try anything once though
I'm kinda hoping when and if we get those mod tools they promised, we can make 5v5 a mode. They did say game modes were something we'd be able to do.
Oh no that's a fair view on it. I personally see it like those 'Alien VS Predator' sort of situations, but you are right it does sound a tad gamey. That said, 2v8 feels gamey to me in the same way, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It does depend on how it's handled.
And I almost forgot about MLO, but you're also 100% right we need a 1v8 of that.
it's ok everybody forgot! If we made a 5v5 I feel that'd be the time to explore the option of respawning and have people be killed each time they get hooked or something.
That sounds like an interesting take on it. Do you mean re-spawning survivors for an overall scoring, or a way for killers to 'disable' each other for a moment? I had thought of both before myself and couldn't decide on how it'd be implemented in my head.
If they made this so everyone interacted in some way and the killer could defend or help their own survivors it would be a dream come true. I get to smash one group of survivors while mother henning over another. My evil side and my kind side can finally work in tandem.
5v5 was one of the modes I was most interested in as well.
In case nobody was aware, way back before the first iterations of game modes, the survey had asked what we wanted, which is why we got 2v8, chaos shuffle and lights out.So I think 2v8 and chaos shuffle were already locked in barring a massive negative result from the survey. I think the survey was more for general interest in futures modes. I do remember at the time thinking, and I believe BHVR saying, that these modes were just the start, I never would have guessed we'd still be cycling through them (especially with one being basically dead).
The only other question I'd have is how teams would interact with each other, if at all. Would they be physically in the map, having to weigh wasting resources to sabotage the other team or would they be more along the lines of ghosting, where you can see where the enemy team is but can't interact in a meaningful way. Maybe even score based on resources used compared to the other team?From what I recall of their explanation (which was brief) - it was going to be a game of gen control (which I suspect would have meant the match would have a timer). So if team A is on a gen for 15 seconds, that's their gen unless team B can be on it for 15 seconds as well. I think they also said survivors could ping opponents for their killer. So everyone would be on the same map fighting over the same gens, but, at least from what they said it would have been a very different game.
What I thought it was going to be, and would still like, and this king of goes with what @cogsturning brought up, is if you took a map like Dead Dawg, mirrored it, and connected them. Both teams start on one map and attack the other, goal is to get the most of your team 'out'. So survivors are primarily attackers, killers primarily defenders, but also have options for killers to defend against the other killer if he crosses over and options for survivors to fall back to defend by undoing progress / tagging enemies.
2v8 is good for the game in general, but the issue with normal queues being unplayable for a few weeks NEEDS to be adressed BEFORE THE NEXT ITERATION PLEASE!