What are y’all’s thoughts on Xenomorph?
I’m genuinely curious because I’m not necessarily talking about like how strong he is. I’m just asking what are y’all think of them as like a killer? Is he cool? Is he boring? I want to know.
I’m genuinely curious because I’m not necessarily talking about like how strong he is. I’m just asking what are y’all think of them as like a killer? Is he cool? Is he boring? I want to know.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
He is mid, quite similar to nemesis but there's also turrets which are annoying to face.
Getting good at using the whip is fun tho like dragging it and getting hits that feel impossible.
Like a more souped up but rigid version of demogorgon with baked in counterplay.
My all time favorite singular sci fi movie is Alien and is the first real scifi/horror film i watched. I love xenomorph. I dont super jive with the in game functions of him though. I do not believe the tail attack is good enough to require a turrets that alwasy seem to be around knocking you out of your power. when comparing to other killers who can do something similar, I.E do a hit over a pallet or window, they do not get the same kind of counters xeno has to deal with.
But overall hes fine in dbd, i main ellen as survivor and i do like playing xeno from time to time, i would have just liked a bit of a different presentation of it.
Sorry for the very long post. I'm a bit too passionate about Alien, so bear with me.
I genuinely think Xenomorph is one of the best adaptations in DbD.
The Tail is simple but efficient. The real power is the tunnels. They aren't just teleports, they are a second map where Xeno can move, listen, predict rotations and intercept Survivors. It is basically the Alien: Isolation dynamic translated into DbD.
Turrets complete the design faithfully. Survivors deploy detection systems around the map and use fire to repel the Alien. Everything feeds into everything. It doesn't just sprinkle Alien references everywhere, it creates an actual Alien dynamic.
Xeno has problems, of course. Tunnel placement can suck, some maps have huge dead zones, several add-ons are terrible and the game barely teaches you how much you can actually do with the tunnels. The Tail is so immediately effective that many players barely scratch the surface of the macro available and focus on flashy Tail hits.
And there are also some complaints that are, frankly, skill issues:
"I am an M1 all game." This should basically never happen outside of double Turret setups. Get into your tunnels instead of walking around. Crawler Mode comes back in less than 5 seconds underground, so you should be able to retaliate faster than Survivors can place double Turrets. Getting burned out of Crawler Mode by a single Turret should be very rare, not the norm. With 125 charges on Crawler Mode and a Turret burning 66 charges/s, you have almost 1.89 seconds to turn around and Tail Strike the Turret. I actually think Helmet and Star Map are traps since single Turrets are usually not enough, while double Turrets will almost always knock you out of Crawler Mode anyway.
"Turrets invalidate stealth." Not really. If you approach through tunnels, Survivors usually don't react until the beeping becomes threatening. You're moving at 18 m/s underground and can already be emerging by the time they start running. As for normal stealth, yes, Turrets counter it under certain conditions. That's the point. Motion trackers are iconic to Alien, Aliens and Alien: Isolation. Survivors detecting the Alien is as much a part of the franchise as the Alien stalking them. And since a Turret needs to be near the Survivor to provide useful information, it doesn't invalidate stealth everywhere all the time anyway. More importantly, Xeno has its own form of stealth with the tunnels.
"Turrets should be deleted, the Tail isn't strong enough to warrant them." Turrets aren't just a balancing tax for Crawler Mode. They're part of the adaptation. That's why Springtrap has cameras while Jason doesn't have some random mechanic stapled onto him. And Crawler Mode is pretty damn strong anyway.
I don't want Xeno reworked. I want the existing power improved.
More Control Stations would be the single best change. Less RNG, more mobility, more stealth, more cut-offs, more ambush opportunities and more ways to approach Turrets intelligently. It strengthens basically everything interesting about the Alien: Isolation formula without replacing it. People who played A:I will remember how vents were everywhere, meaning the Alien could ambush you at any time. In DbD, there are too few stations, heavily restricting that potential. I understand limiting this kind of mobility for other Killers, but Xeno should have more focus on this aspect of its power. It should be closer to Dredge in that regard, so it "could be anywhere."
Double Turrets should probably be prevented altogether. Turrets should reward good coverage and distance, not stacking two together to almost guarantee a power loss.
Turrets should also be a more precious resource. Right now you effectively cannot deplete them with 7 stations, 4 Turrets per station, each with its own regeneration. There is barely a resource economy to manage.
Then we could give Xeno some QoL like faster tunnel exits, a slight Haste effect like Sadako, an add-on pass and a very short lingering stealth effect when exiting a station.
Add-ons should also reinforce the correct gameplay loop. Harpoon Gun and Acidic Blood are good designs in principle, even if their actual effects aren't necessarily good (Harpoon is OP though), because going back into your tunnels lets you reset them. Ovomorph is the exact opposite, it's a terrible add-on because it rewards staying above ground and teaches new players bad habits. Too many Xeno players already ignore the tunnels or use them two or three times per match.
It's perfectly fine not to enjoy playing such a unique Killer. Xeno is the only Killer in the game with both a counterpower like Turrets and an entire secondary map like the tunnels. I understand why some people prefer simpler Killers: a teleport "from A to B" where you can't get lost in it (heard someone say that...), a ranged attack or dash with no counter mechanic at all, traditional stealth, etc. I also understand those who are disappointed because this isn't the version of the Alien they wanted. I personally understand the Facehugger crowd more, wall crawling does exists throughout Alien media, but it's AvP that heavily emphasized that fantasy.
I think calling it unfaithful is just dishonest. Xenomorph is incredibly unique while being extremely accurate to its source material. From the gameplay loop and even the lobby animation, I'm pretty sure Alien: Isolation was the main inspiration for the power, while most of the visuals, sounds and references come directly from the original Alien. It isn't an unfaithful adaptation. It's a very specific interpretation of the Alien, and you may simply not like that interpretation.
At the end of the day, the dynamic of "very strong Killer in chase and Survivor tools designed to slow it down" was always going to be divisive (and unique). I understand why some people simply don't enjoy it.
But in terms of franchise coherence and thematics? It's immaculate.
Xeno is my primary killer main (mostly because its my all time favorite franchise).
Its very aggressive in chase and capable of getting an angle to hit with the tail constantly, but requires precision to aim it right. Hit anything but the survivor and itl bounce off something harmlessly, including the turret in the survivors hands. Its harder to avoid then nemisis whip as its like dodging an angled spear thrust rather than a straight line that cant hit over windows when crouched. (Its also slightly harder to hit with as the hitbox is a small point rather than a full vertical line)
For a newer player or those that arent the greatest at looping, the xeno can take them down faster than nemisis. Which makes him rather fun to use, until you run into double placed turrets, and looping gods.
Most games people place turrets in an easy to hit spot so they barely inconvenience you and you maintain your power almost the entire round. But when they double up turrets the best you can do is break them and either keep chasing in m1 or go straight back to the tunnels to chase someone else off a generator. Bully squads loooove to make turret (safe zones) they all run to at the first sign of the killer. But generally i think the main reason xeno is barely played is the turrets ability to remove your power and sometimes theres nothing you can do about it - its tedious.
The tunnels themselves i end up using more to find people with their footsteps rather than as a mobility tool, though it is good for multifloor maps too. I've also paired it with springtraps scream perk as people will always look at you as you come out of the tunnel and you get a better idea of where they are and where they're going as soon as you come out as the killer instinct doesnt always kick in or doesnt last long.
Overall xeno is fun to play as yet annoying to play as, its like rolling a dice as to weather or not you are going to have fun as its all rng on how good people are with the turrets or just looping your tail to a point where you can barely hit them (which is very rare but it happens)
One other thing some don't seem to like, iis the crawler mode's pov. You are in first person and lower to the ground than every other killer's pov which can get on some people's nerves but you eventually get used to it. Its not low enough that you can't see over things, but it is noticeably in a lower position.
honestly, I don’t mind the post being as long as it is like I am very passionate about some killers like skull merchant, freddy, and recently judgment. I own Xenomorph I just never play them because they just don’t seem that interesting to play as, but I guess since they’re coming to 2v8 today you might have convinced me to give them a shot.
Huge Aliens fan so I can't not answer.
As a pro the graphic representation and animations are crisp, discluding the Mori and skins.
Downsides are… everything else. Their M2 is just a worse version of Nemesis', given the turrets are unnecessarily powerful counters frequently used that not only deny the M2 ability, but also report location. The collisions of the maps block the tail with alarming frequency. The tunnel system is, while interesting, just not as useful as would be necessary in a game as fast paced as DbD. Add-ons are underwhelming.
The Xenomorph is 100% playable, but the same way hag is 100% playable by someone devoted. But beyond that they are generally only suitable for play by these individuals. For anyone else this killer is miserably powercrept to the point of obscurity. Nemesis M2 is the same thing only better. The tunnel system on Demo is while more countered, also easier to handle and use to advantage. The Flame turret counter benefits are just too overpowered and long-lasting to not be implemented en masse in a given match.
But, they look cool as hell.
I want to love them, when they were announced it was my most wanted license and I was so happy but then we got them and….idk they just felt very basic. I was disappointed and kinda shocked there were no facehuggers anywhere in the power and I felt Xeno was kinda devoid of identity. A huge part of Alien is evolution and it being the pinnacle lifeform in the universe but the Xeno we got is someone taught it tail whip and it's weak the fire soooo we got a pokemon and not a particularly good one. People make comparisons to Nemesis and I actually would have been fine with that if we took the different stages/power up part of his power and not the whip.
trust me I know the feeling I am currently at the edge of my seat waiting for Art the clown but a part of me just has a feeling that they’re just gonna be another ranged killer with a stealth mobility power because that is all that we’ve been getting recently when it comes to licenses so I’m afraid for my boy but at the same time I’m waiting for him patiently to be hopefully proven wrong.