Rework Proposal: Pinhead's Core Gameplay Mechanic

The Problem

I would like to suggest a major rework of Pinhead's core gameplay mechanic.

In 2026, Pinhead's chains feel increasingly outdated compared to the current state of Dead by Daylight. Over time, more perks, items, add-ons and survivor mechanics have been introduced that can counter or heavily reduce the effectiveness of his power.

Pinhead's main power is supposed to make him unique and dangerous, but the chains themselves do not deal any damage. Their main purpose is to slow survivors down and interrupt their movement. The problem is that even when a survivor is hit by a chain, the survivor can still interact with the environment, including vaulting windows and pallets.

Because of this, successfully landing chains often does not feel rewarding. The Killer spends time setting up and controlling the chain, only for the Survivor to continue their chase with relatively little consequence.

This becomes even more noticeable against experienced Survivors who know how to play around the chains and use the environment effectively.

Why I Think Pinhead Needs a Rework

I don't think Pinhead simply needs stronger numbers.

I believe his entire gameplay mechanic should be reconsidered.

His current power relies heavily on a mechanic that primarily slows Survivors rather than creating meaningful pressure. As Dead by Daylight has evolved, this has become less effective and less satisfying to play.

Pinhead should feel like a unique Killer whose power changes the way a chase works, rather than a Killer who repeatedly uses chains mainly to slow a Survivor down.

Suggested Direction

Instead of simply increasing the chain's speed, range or duration, I would suggest giving Pinhead a completely redesigned power.

The new power could keep the idea of chains and Hell, but work more like a progression-based mechanic.

For example, Pinhead could have a mechanic where successfully using his power on Survivors builds up a temporary state or progression. As the Survivor reaches higher stages, Pinhead's chains could become more dangerous and eventually affect their ability to interact with the environment.

This would make successfully using his power feel meaningful and give Survivors a reason to actively avoid letting Pinhead build up his power.

The important part is that the mechanic should provide actual chase pressure, rather than simply slowing Survivors for a short period.

Similar Approach to Michael Myers

I think Pinhead could benefit from a gameplay structure similar to Michael Myers, where the Killer's power has a clear progression and becomes more threatening as the match develops.

Pinhead could start with a weaker version of his power and gradually unlock stronger effects by successfully interacting with Survivors.

This would preserve his identity while giving players a reason to actively use his power throughout the match.

The goal would not be to make Pinhead overpowered. The goal would be to make his power feel rewarding, threatening and relevant in modern Dead by Daylight.

Final Suggestion

I would strongly prefer a full rework of Pinhead's core power rather than another simple numerical buff.

His chains are iconic and should absolutely remain part of his identity, but the way they currently function feels outdated.

Dead by Daylight has changed significantly over the years, and Pinhead's power should evolve with the game.

I would love to see Pinhead receive a major gameplay rework that makes him feel like a true modern Killer, while still keeping the iconic Hellraiser theme and chain mechanic.

Tagged: Killers

Comments

  • I think pinhead is fine where he is. His power requires map knowledge, box logic, good aim for the skill shot, ect. He requires above average in the skill department and it definitely pays off once you learn him.

    Unfortunately BHVR doesn't have the license anymore so no changes to the characters design can be made.

  • No major changes coming as Pinhead is no longer available to buy.

    I hope we get him back but if ever this will take time …

  • pinhead is in a rough spot when it comes to using their power, but idk wmif I want to give it up because wanting the box just as much as survivors is so cool and is part of why Pinhead is one of my favourite killers to play and face. As a Pinhead enthusiast his kit makes me feel like the doctor from the second movie when I play survivor