Suggestion for Survivor Blocking?

I think there should be a system for survivors to choose to block playing with other survivors. Not blocking specific killers or specific killer players. Just survivors blocking other survivors. I think it should have some very specific rules though.

Here a a couple of reasons why I think a blocking system would be great. In 2 of my games just today:

  1. I played with 1 survivor that was doing nothing but intentionally sandbagging other survivors. They didn't touch a gen. They didn't perform a single unhook, and didn't heal anyone.
  2. I played another where we got all 5 gens completed. Got a gate open and the killer managed to take down two survivors trying to get out and hung both of them fairly close to the open gate. I ran the killer away from the gate thinking even if I got killed the 4th survivor could unhook the other two and they could all get out or maybe even manage to help me get out too. That 4th survivor ran straight out without unhooking either of the other 2, and even had to run right past one of them.

I would love the ability to block survivors like both of those. Having said that I think it should come with some very specific criteria and limitations.

First you would have a limited number of blocks you could use over a certain time frame. Example: you could only block 10 survivors within a 30 day time frame. That would make each survivor be selective about their blocks and eliminate someone from being petty and going on a blocking spree over small stuff.

Second, blocks would only last for 30 days.

Third when you block someone you would have to choose the reason you are blocking them and it would have options like sandbagging, working with the killer, harassment, extremely selfish play, etc.

Fourth, you would still keep the post match reporting system for ones that aren't quite egregious but BHVR would be able to see if the players getting a lot of blocks are also the ones being reported a lot after matches. A combination of the two would be a good indicator that a survivor is likely very toxic.

Fifth, the amount of blocks each survivor has appears by their username in the lobby. That way if you run across a survivor in the lobby that has an extreme amount of blocks you can just back out of that lobby.

I think something like this would accomplish a few things.

  1. If you have a limited number of blocks available I think that is going to make it where people are only blocking the most toxic survivors they run across or risk having their blocks be meaningless because they used them in a petty manner.
  2. If a player is receiving a lot of blocks for things like working with the killer it would allow BHVR to know this person is probably actually doing so and enable them to give temporary or permanent bans as the case may warrant.
  3. Even if a player is doing things that won't get them banned it may still affect their ability to get into a match if they have a lot of blocks and other players refuse to play with them because of it.

Comments

  • I am confused, your issue is about bad teammates, am I correct?

    When the chorus of sins comes out, there will be a new mmr system and a mmr reset so doing things inside the match will give mmr and just escaping will reward less mmr if you don't interact much with the game so in high mmr you should have decent teammates that won't do that and that survivor that did nothing will be punished for playing like that so they are going to be in low mmr and you can report survivors that do nothing and sandbag.

  • @SpyUA said:

    I am confused, your issue is about bad teammates, am I correct?

    When the chorus of sins comes out, there will be a new mmr system and a mmr reset so doing things inside the match will give mmr and just escaping will reward less mmr if you don't interact much with the game so in high mmr you should have decent teammates that won't do that and that survivor that did nothing will be punished for playing like that so they are going to be in low mmr and you can report survivors that do nothing and sandbag.

    Yes. The issue is definitely bad teammates. I knew there was a new MMR system coming, but I hadn't seen the specifics. If it is going to reward survivors that actually participate in a healthy way and I can advance to games with survivors not playing like jerks I would rescind my thoughts about a block system. I just knew up until this point there was nothing in the current MMR, or anything else for that matter, that prevented getting paired up with people like that way too often.

    I will admit once the new MMR system comes out I would really enjoy watching 4 toxic survivors all stuck together trying to out sandbag and out selfish each other. That would be entertaining.

  • Personally I think some iteration of blocking players is a good idea especially for the purposes of avoiding getting a second match with a cheater you just went up against or a throwing teammate, and also a lot of blocks on a player combined with reports may make it easier for the devs to moderate. However, I don't think it should be limited to one side (because killers cheat too) and I think showing the amount of blocks to the pre-game lobby is a bad idea. There will likely be a lot of people who take things to the extreme and dodge every lobby with even one player with a couple blocks, and it would just make queue times way longer.

  • @Arcturus said:

    Personally I think some iteration of blocking players is a good idea especially for the purposes of avoiding getting a second match with a cheater you just went up against or a throwing teammate, and also a lot of blocks on a player combined with reports may make it easier for the devs to moderate. However, I don't think it should be limited to one side (because killers cheat too) and I think showing the amount of blocks to the pre-game lobby is a bad idea. There will likely be a lot of people who take things to the extreme and dodge every lobby with even one player with a couple blocks, and it would just make queue times way longer.

    I can see your point about queue times. While I have definitely run across killers that cheat, and I wouldn't be opposed to a system of blocks for them also, I am always the most bothered by someone that is supposed to be on my side that is either actively or passively working against me. After the first comment I got I went and checked into the new MMR. From what I can see that seems like it might do everything I am hoping for. I just want to be able to play games as a survivor with teammates that actually make it a 4 vs 1 game because for the whole time this game has been around it's rare I get into a match where there are not one or two survivors that are at the very least doing absolutely nothing useful if not intentionally sabotaging the other survivors.

  • I would love to be able to block every bad solo queue teammate I’ve had in the past, but it’s never going to happen. There are just way too many mediocre/bad players who would be blocked by everyone else and never get to play if this was implemented.

  • I came in here thinking this was a confusing post about Survivors body blocking. Happy that’s not the case.

    I would like this to be implemented. I shouldn’t be required to keep a list of usernames that I’ll need to keep track of in order to avoid toxic people in the lobby.

  • @Your_Dad_Playing_DbD said:

    I would love to be able to block every bad solo queue teammate I’ve had in the past, but it’s be never going to happen. There are just way too many mediocre/bad players who would be blocked by everyone else and never get to play if this was implemented.

    I thought of that. That's why I suggested you have a limited amount of blocks during a 30 day time frame and after 30 days a block is removed. That way you can't permanently block a player, but at the same time it would "encourage" tho kinds of players that intentionally sandbag the rest of the team to either quit doing it or just quit altogether. To be honest I would have zero problem if survivors who only play to work against the other survivors were gone.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    I came in here thinking this was a confusing post about Survivors body blocking. Happy that’s not the case.

    I would like this to be implemented. I shouldn’t be required to keep a list of usernames that I’ll need to keep track of in order to avoid toxic people in the lobby.

    I actually have a document on my laptop with a list of usernames. When I play with a player that intentionally sabotages the rest of the team I will put their name in the document if they have it public. And I very often check usernames in a lobby. If I find one that's in my list I will back out of the lobby and wait a minute or two before making myself ready again.

  • @satx3241 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4110645#Comment_4110645

    I actually have a document on my laptop with a list of usernames. When I play with a player that intentionally sabotages the rest of the team I will put their name in the document if they have it public. And I very often check usernames in a lobby. If I find one that's in my list I will back out of the lobby and wait a minute or two before making myself ready again.

    Do you call it the naughty list, too? Like Santa?