Observations on the Chorus Of Sin Chapter PTB

I was originally quite interested in this chapter, but as time went on and I saw the PTB any excitement I had quickly vanished.

I will say that visually this chapter is a home run both of the characters are visually interesting and the exile looks really cool. The perks are also a little underwhelming but we voted for them so what can I really say other than meh.


HOWEVER

I really feel that they dropped the ball on the killers power.

Setting aside the fact that the version we got isn’t even what we originally voted on. In one of their grimoire live streams the active killer power that won was originally described as being like the flame beam from the xenomorphs flame turret.

Instead what we have now could best be described as one of “The First”s portals but it moves and has an odd delay when activating. However it can cover a lot of ground very quickly, to the extent that this killer is very dangerous at long range and inoffensive at close range.

Now get this, the Dev endorsed method of dealing with people at close ranges with your power is to place the power behind you, flick your camera forward and pray you lined up your shot correctly. When I first heard of this I thought it wouldn’t be so bad, but when I started seeing footage of people actually doing this “tactic” I felt the sudden urge to start sipping a bottle of Dramamine(satire aside I was genuinely starting to get motion sick). I just want to say who in their right minds at BHVR thought this was a good idea especially for the community made chapter of all things to make this power so difficult to even approach. I play on the switch, possibly the worst option off of the console you can choose and if things stay like this then I can’t help but feel that this killer will be a nightmare on consoles(especially in the switch’s case).

Also the loss of lethality at close range is really felt by the killers 4.4 movement speed. Now I will say that this killer probably deserves its 4.4 speed, however all the added delays and slowdown to the killers power just feel terrible.

Otz actually made a suggestion in a recent video that would actually remedy the wild camera flicking and possible controller frustrations, and that to make one of the killers brown add ons (the one that stops the origin of the divine beam when it hits an object) base kit. Then turn the add on into a mode you have to switch into, so you have a mode for long range shots(default) and a mode for close range shots(brown add on). I am personally for these changes as it will make this killer feel a lot better and not be relegated to the wildly difficult and inaccessible tier of killers(based on things at this point in time).
I just want to add on that some people are against this and I just want to ask why? Genuinely why do you want this? This killer has an incredibly high skill floor, that most players will take one look and and then go “yea no not worth my time” Giving the COMMUNITY MADE Killer an at least approachable skill floor is too much to ask for. An argument I heard is “it removes to killer skill and identity”, to which I say no not really, I have heard from several people that it is in fact faster to do the camera flicking technique to injure and down survivors, then to use the brown add on, so all this change would do is still make this killer approachable for casuals who don’t have several hours every day to learn the timing of a rather obtuse killer power, and the people who actually put in the time to lean this killer top to bottom can still express their skill.


A rather funny idea I actually had while writing was to bring back the flamethrower / hand beam version of the power back as a mode you can swap to, but make it exclusively only useful at close to medium range (where the PTB beam struggles to land normally) they could even make it like stereotypical video game buckshot, where it covers a wide area but lacks the ability to cover a long range(I would imagine it working like a camera flash where if you are in the light you get damaged this should also have a longer cool down then the beam)



Finally I want to bring up reused assets, because I noticed a few things that I think were just taken from other killers and tacked onto the judgement. As stated earlier the power shares similarities to the first’s portals, however there is more.

The Heresy meter on the survivors hud is basically the unknowns meter but edgier and in blue.

The judgements enhanced state animation(right after they send survivors to the exile) is almost exactly the same as the animation the oni makes when activating blood fury(and they both scream as well).

Then the portal that the judgement sends survivors through is just the portal vecna (the lich) appears out of in the menu, just now it sports a fresh coat of divine paint.

Comments