Proposed Vigil nerfs completely miss the point.

The primary issues with this perk is from a design position, not a numbers one. As it exists, Vigil extends recovery time to 1.66 seconds per second - an effective reduction in status effects of about ~40%. Reducing that to an effective ~30% isn't going to solve the actual problems with the perk, which are the following:

- The perk is AOE and lingers for 15 SECONDS after leaving its range, meaning its impossible to tell who actually HAS vigil and plan around it as survivors lingering in the area of a vigil user get enough of its benefit to impact killer perks, especially in unhook situations.

- The exhaustion reduction, on its own, is a strong reason to pick it, so rather than insurance or a meta call, you have a generally good perk that ALSO just so happens to completely screw over the opposing team's perks with no way of knowing whether or not someone has vigil and having no way to actually counter it, as it has no conditions. This one wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if you fixed the AOE, if not for:

- The perk impacts exposed, despite the fact that exposed perks are often middling in strength as is, universally require setup (unless its NOED which isn't effected by Vigil) and are rather strictly time-gated, especially with pallet density having already nerfed these perks in the context of actual practical usage. Why would I use perks like, for example, Make Your Choice, even on killers that would otherwise like it, when I can have the duration invisibly shaved dramatically by EITHER the hooked person or the unhooker having a perk that is already good on its own?

- …It also impacts killer power hinders, for some reason? (No, seriously, WHY?)

If it goes back down to ~30% like it used to be, but keeps the AOE, its just going to be less good but still as unhealthy. I would rather the AOE and Exposed reduction removed entirely, but allow the perk to remain at an effective ~40%, so its still GOOD. We really don't need to choose between less perk diversity (nerfing vigil to the point many people just don't care to run it) and less perk diversity (vigil having a serious chilling effect on an entire category of perk).

Tagged: Perks

Comments

  • One of the things I don't understand about the perk is that apparently it affected killer powers???? I'm curious when this started happening. Was there a patch or buff on the perk I wasn't aware of. Since when did it do that? And why not just nerf that aspect of the perkm

  • Darn.

    They did the lowest effort thing just like they almost always do. And it's not even that big of a numbers nerf.

    A shame they didn't actually make it not affect killer powers or exposed. Or did something crazy like make it a boon.

  • @Flopkween said:

    One of the things I don't understand about the perk is that apparently it affected killer powers???? I'm curious when this started happening. Was there a patch or buff on the perk I wasn't aware of. Since when did it do that? And why not just nerf that aspect of the perkm

    Its actually been this way basically forever, but after they buffed Vigil last year you just saw it a lot more. It used to be ~30% on an 8 meter radius, and was occasionally used but not nearly as popular. The big thing that caused people to start talking about it is when Clown and Freddy got their reworks. Freddy is genuinely a good killer…unless vigil is in the game, at which point he becomes absolute rubbish, and Clown had their lingering hinder reduced in favour of buffing yellow bottles, so the vigil reduction is a LOT more noticeable on him. It only effects hinders to my knowledge with powers, as the only exposed effect from powers right now is Ghostface, which works on his own timer rather than a recovery timer.

  • They did the most bare minimum change ever. If they would remove the lingering effect and hindered from it on top of the number adjustment I think the perk would be much fairer.

  • I feel like this stream is just a hint of whats to come. I am no longer excited for 2027.

  • I think they said that these are just initial tweaks to said perks, with reworks potentially coming down the line, so I'd just take the bone that's been thrown and see what's in the midchapter.

    Ofc we can still keep making feedback until then.

  • I think the proposed change is fine EXCEPT for it still impacting basekit hindered for certain killers, I still think that needs to be addressed.

    But outside of that, the current numbers are too high and setting it at 40% takes it back down to only 10% higher than the pre-buff version which was never considered problematic, it will still have a larger range than the old version but at this point given that SB is also being nerfed I'm not super concerned about it still being an issue after this change (other than the hindered issue mentioned above). And 40% is still high enough that the perk will still be really good, just not broken anymore

  • I completely agree, they said that they'll be making further changes down the line so hopefully this is just a temporary adjustment, but I'm not too sure about that. All these perk changes were simple number changes to be easy and fast, but this is something that feels like should be so incredibly easy to do that we should be getting small changes like this every patch, it shouldn't be some big deal