Catch 22 Help? (Killer)

I just had what I feel like was an impossible situation, and would love to know how to deal with it in the future. Essentially, the survivors were down 2 and had 1 gen left. They hard committed to one, and I eventually just got blocked from regressing it anymore. I assume they were in a swf, because the minute I committed to chase either, the other would immediately come behind to start repairing it. Neither of them allowed me any sightlines for a tail attack, and they had enough pallets to eventually stall until they could fix the gen and get out. How do you deal in a situation like that, where they just have the resources to siege a stalemate?

It was a 50/50 split where just nothing could happen, but its kinda frustrating that despite putting in time and effort, the game will just give survivors an out. I'm trying not to fall into a mental pit trap with it, but I don't know how you approach that and come out on top. Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • @Murderchan said:

    I just had what I feel like was an impossible situation, and would love to know how to deal with it in the future. Essentially, the survivors were down 2 and had 1 gen left. They hard committed to one, and I eventually just got blocked from regressing it anymore. I assume they were in a swf, because the minute I committed to chase either, the other would immediately come behind to start repairing it. Neither of them allowed me any sightlines for a tail attack, and they had enough pallets to eventually stall until they could fix the gen and get out. How do you deal in a situation like that, where they just have the resources to siege a stalemate?

    It was a 50/50 split where just nothing could happen, but its kinda frustrating that despite putting in time and effort, the game will just give survivors an out. I'm trying not to fall into a mental pit trap with it, but I don't know how you approach that and come out on top. Thanks in advance!

    Did you have a 3-gen at the end or did you have 2 next to each other and another crossmap?

  • you are not supposed to win every single game and it does Sound like the survs did actually have to put in effort to win this despite being 2 down and it wasnt the game that was giving them an out just because?

    Like.. 1 gen to go and access to limited resources (pallets), and they had to not be downed quickly right next to the gen? Am i missing something that says you should have won this?

  • @KatsuhxP said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/468820/catch-22-help-killer

    Did you have a 3-gen at the end or did you have 2 next to each other and another crossmap?

    I had 3 gens all in the same area.

  • @Mooks said:

    you are not supposed to win every single game and it does Sound like the survs did actually have to put in effort to win this despite being 2 down and it wasnt the game that was giving them an out just because?

    Like.. 1 gen to go and access to limited resources (pallets), and they had to not be downed quickly right next to the gen? Am i missing something that says you should have won this?

    I'm not saying I should've won by default. But do you genuinely believe that tap repairing a gen and running 5 feet to the nearest pallet on rotation is effort? Pallets aren't a limited resource if a killer can spend the entire match breaking them, just for them to never run out. Finite =/= limited. I just want to know how to deal with a situation where its a stalemate, and the survivors are edging out a win purely off of pity mechanics.

  • Then your only chance is to stay there and defend them without commiting to a chase really. Without the mistake of a survivor you won't win that (if your wincondition is 4 kills) really. If you want to take your chance you can also follow him crossmap, down him and tunnel back with xeno to stop the door from being opened - that is of course also depending on survivor mistakes.

    (That's what I would tell you)

    Besides that, I've never hit the limit at a 3-gen gen ever. In general just really rarely at all - I'm impressed by that :D

  • @Mooks said:

    you are not supposed to win every single game and it does Sound like the survs did actually have to put in effort to win this despite being 2 down and it wasnt the game that was giving them an out just because?

    Like.. 1 gen to go and access to limited resources (pallets), and they had to not be downed quickly right next to the gen? Am i missing something that says you should have won this?

    Well in general the survivors heavely misplayed too because they 3-gened themself lol. So if you want to come with that argument then both shouldn't have won that :D

    Well dbd is almost never played perfectly so it doesn't matter in the end.

  • @KatsuhxP said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4090422#Comment_4090422

    Then your only chance is to stay there and defend them without commiting to a chase really. Without the mistake of a survivor you won't win that (if your wincondition is 4 kills) really. If you want to take your chance you can also follow him crossmap, down him and tunnel back with xeno to stop the door from being opened - that is of course also depending on survivor mistakes.

    (That's what I would tell you)

    Besides that, I've never hit the limit at a 3-gen gen ever. In general just really rarely at all - I'm impressed by that :D

    Yeah they had a ton of pallets to make chase impossible, and they hard committed to the one. It took them forever, but there wasn't much I could do. I didn't even KNOW you had a limit until this game. It was especially soul crushing because I had to chase several of them away to before every hook, and the last two knew there was enough pallets to kill any chase quick enough to get that gen. I think they were a swf 😩

  • @Murderchan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4090432#Comment_4090432

    Yeah they had a ton of pallets to make chase impossible, and they hard committed to the one. It took them forever, but there wasn't much I could do. I didn't even KNOW you had a limit until this game. It was especially soul crushing because I had to chase several of them away to before every hook, and the last two knew there was enough pallets to kill any chase quick enough to get that gen. I think they were a swf 😩

    They just added it 1 or 2 years ago I believe, you have 8 regression events (ruin is not included I believe), then it blocks off. Also what map was it? xD

  • @Murderchan said:

    I just had what I feel like was an impossible situation, and would love to know how to deal with it in the future. Essentially, the survivors were down 2 and had 1 gen left. They hard committed to one, and I eventually just got blocked from regressing it anymore. I assume they were in a swf, because the minute I committed to chase either, the other would immediately come behind to start repairing it. Neither of them allowed me any sightlines for a tail attack, and they had enough pallets to eventually stall until they could fix the gen and get out. How do you deal in a situation like that, where they just have the resources to siege a stalemate?

    It was a 50/50 split where just nothing could happen, but its kinda frustrating that despite putting in time and effort, the game will just give survivors an out. I'm trying not to fall into a mental pit trap with it, but I don't know how you approach that and come out on top. Thanks in advance!

    that's the neat part you can't and it's why i hate the 8 kick limit

  • @KatsuhxP said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4090366#Comment_4090366

    Well in general the survivors heavely misplayed too because they 3-gened themself lol. So if you want to come with that argument then both shouldn't have won that :D

    Well dbd is almost never played perfectly so it doesn't matter in the end.

    its a two man out so this match would be called a draw by most. They might have misplayed in the early to mid game or they did the best they could in this situation, we really don’t know what lead to this situation and if the killer player may have forced the 3 gen from the beginning, while the other 2 survs ran into it to try to break it. One possibility of many. Might very Well be soloq/2 man swf


    thing is.. from the description given the remaining two survs did what they needed to do and succeeded and we don’t have enough Info what the killer could have done to overpower them. I just wanted to point out that this win/draw was definitley not just given to the survs, they had to play around the 3 gen and finite (which i learned is different to limited?) pallets

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4090434#Comment_4090434

    its a two man out so this match would be called a draw by most. They might have misplayed in the early to mid game or they did the best they could in this situation, we really don’t know what lead to this situation and if the killer player may have forced the 3 gen from the beginning, while the other 2 survs ran into it to try to break it. One possibility of many. Might very Well be soloq/2 man swf


    thing is.. from the description given the remaining two survs did what they needed to do and succeeded and we don’t have enough Info what the killer could have done to overpower them. I just wanted to point out that this win/draw was definitley not just given to the survs, they had to play around the 3 gen and finite (which i learned is different to limited?) pallets

    I see what you mean, it just sounded like they didn't make them have that situation themself. Also even if he would have forced the 3-gen they would have misplayed, usually you would try to break it even more agressive then - otherwise you would make yourself lose in many cases

  • Honestly, just commit to one and down them to secure a 3k. in a 2 v 1, it is basically impossible to not trade at the hook if the Killer is right there.

    If you really want to push for the 4 man you can slug them but in scenarios like this where the Killer is being predictable, the survivors have the upper hand because they know that you're not going to commit. You also should try to injure both of them at the minimum because that makes contesting the gen way less safer and forces them to group and heal which makes the gen regress more if it's not at the limit.

    Or even if they finish it, you can still slug the person you committed to and then check gates.

  • I would have committed to one, probably the one I could have zoned the easiest, and went for rhe 3k.