Jason Confirmed my previous Theory about The Trickster

During the Trickster rework, which I believe to have been great, a lot of people complained about Trickster being too slow (110%) and having too few knives (36).

During that time, I have argued that this is great. Because for the first time, we had a trickster that has a healthy learning-power curve. Where weak Tricksters can face weak survivors. Where weak tricksters absolutely lose to great survivors and where great Tricksters can face up against great survivors. It was the first time ever where Trickster introduced proper chances for skill expression during chases for both sides.

Now I definitely agree that Trickster, as the highest skill cap killer in the entire game, definitely deserves more for the attempt at mastering him. His highest skill ceiling is towers higher than that of Nurse, although that might not be readily obvious, as getting minimal results at the beginning is harder on Nurse than on Trickster.

Because of this, I have argued that Trickster definitely deserves to be buffed, but just not in a way that compromises his chases in a way that limits skill expression in chases for survivors. Because of that, I instead suggested that we should give him power in other ways;

One of the ways I suggested he be buffed is by allowing him to regress unattended generators by throwing a knife at it, which causes them to start regressing (and counts towards the regression cap). Such an element would simply reduce a lot of idle time for Trickster, where he'd need to kick a gen and then spend a long time catching up to his chase. With this, we eliminate that unnecessary boiler plate time and allow him to instantly get into the action, buffing Trickster while leaving his healthy chases perfectly in tact!

image.png

JASON
Now with the new chapter, I am glad that, whether by coincidence or whether my idea for Trickster has reached the Dev's creative process, that we now have a Jason add-on which implements my exact design philosophy:
Buffing the 110% killer by eliminating catching time and allowing him to quickly regress gens.

Because of add-ons like that, Jason is allowed to be stronger without having to push his chases to unfair levels that would otherwise reduce skill expression for survivors facing him.

image.png

TRICKSTER
With us now having a functional version of my idea into the game, and seeing it being a success in terms of perk design, I therefore want to create a moment and suggest to move on and implement this idea into the game for Trickster as well.

This would mean that:
- Trickster can throw blades at a generator that isn't being worked on to make it start regressing. (Counting towards the regression cap)

Similarly, we could apply the same design philosophy more broadly, with the following buffs:
- Trickster can trigger Killer instinct on lockers if he throws a knife at them and a survivor is in them (Adding to the idea that Trickster is a killer that can do anything through his knives, adding to the terrifying theme)

And if we further wish to reward the insanely high skill cap Trickster with a mechanic mostly the highly skilled players would be able to take advantage of:
- After trickster triggers the last laceration stack before it would take a health state from a survivor, the next knife he throws will ricochet 2 times. (This would allow for insanely cool stylish finish moves and reward Ricochet trickster for their ricochet muscle memory and knowledge even if they don't run the add-on Trick Blades. Keeping their unique experience and skill relevant at all times)

These are buffs I definitely believe our True and Highest skill cap killer in the game definitely deserves, so that all the hard effort Trickster killers put in finally gets paid off with the equivalent levels of strength!

Comments

  • While I think 4.6 needs to come back and every other nerf is healthy and perfect. I just wanted to say I appreciate the creative way you thought about the killer I love the most. I always love the chance to hear how others view potential changes in something I care about. Even through the moments when people just turn their brains off and call other internet strangers stupid. Thanks for sharing!