What's the point in making fan made chapters?
Is there any point at all? I spend awhile trying to make my own fan made chapters, they always receive little to no attention and I don't see how they benefit the community. It feels like a real time waster to me. Any answers?
Comments
It's a waste of time all right. I don't know why people keep coming up with suggestions. Some of the devs occasionally read the forum and may pick up tiny fragments from some of the more creative ideas, but a completely worked out, detailed killer/survivor/perk/map concept, etc... it's just idle fancies.
I feel like some recent chapters took inspiration on some of the fan mades ones, i remember seeing someone making a killer that would vault pallets and windows like Legion does, but maybe it's a coincidence idk.
Eitherway no, there's no "point", i believe it's just for fun and shouldn't be anything else.
Oh, it's just I lost so much motivation on making them. I use to enjoy making them for my creative mind to do what it can do. That's kind of a bummer though, I've spent so much time making some fan chapters and pretty much no one reads them. I hope quitting was a good idea, I feel like it was
Just do whatever you want, don't force yourself doing something you don't like anymore
That's why I quit, nobody cares about anyone's ideas, it just becomes forgotten and buried
Well anyone can come up with ideas. It has no value. If you can do either the coding or the artistic part of it, that's something. But then you should be making your own game.
Yeah I guess, but I'd rather do art
I could post a drawing of Legion I did, I wonder if anyone would want to see it
I would!
Same
I would enjoy that.
We had calls for a fat survivor that had a chance to break hooks. Not long after? Jeff appears with a perk to break hooks.
Granted he isn't fat, he looks huge compared to other survivors.
Sometimes it's just fun. Here's my light killer concept, the Banshee
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34294/new-killer-idea-the-banshee-true-horror#latest
He does have a sizable stomach on him. But he looks awesome.
It's fun , interesting and a very good mental exercise:
1. FUN simply because creating something is always fun (even when the creation is a child of pain and misery);
2. Interesting - Throwing two pieces of mud together is boring, so you're trying to come up with a concept and a mechanic that would fit the game: sorting and filtering ideas.
3. Mental exercise - not everyone is doing it, but balancing your power\perk idea is not easy and you need to be sure you're not overpowering or underpowering them. And then you must remember about 59 Survivor perks and 54 Killer perks already existing in-game and think of how your powers and perks could synergize: would they compliment each other, would they break the game?
Of course, devs will not take any of fan ideas, mostly due to legal issues: the idea needs to be purchased to be used in the actual game, unless the devs want a court suit in their face. I don't even think anyone from the designer or dev team is reading these. BUT it's not for them - it's for you.
Reading other people's ideas is interesting as well, provided they are good, original and thought-through. Admittedly most of the fan killers/survivors/chapters are horrible: pieced together, not optimised and not well-thought at all - many of them are just power fantasies about pwning and being the king of the hill.
Still, there are gems that I love, once I've read them. And hopefully someone likes my fan ideas that's i've posted in this forum. Oh, yeah, there's that bit of narcissism, where everyone wants to be praised for something they've done ^___^
I mean, show me your proudest chapter and I could give it a read. I hope someone could give mine a read, though I did get like... One or two actual feedback to it? I'm too lazy to check.
My proudest would probably be "A study in victimology"
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/41619/fan-killer-survivor-a-study-in-victimology
I've took this very popular idea of a killer disguising as a survivor and stood it on it's head, trying to make it into a viable mechanic, that doesn't break the game and is not so easily counterable as most of similar ideas are.
It has it's issues (the surv perk is OP), but I think it's the best one I have.
I read it, and will give it a full review once (eventually, maybe) I'm not so tired.
I just like to come up with killer ideas, I already posted one and have a couple more in store. Even if there is no point I like to think of new possibilities.
Also I think that the Doctor was heavily inspired if not a complete copy of a fan made killer, I'm not sure of it but that's what I remember (Don't attack me if I'm wrong)
Well I wouldn't say that 🤔
You can just click on my profile and go to my discussions
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/12603/chapter-idea-flames-and-fear#latest
This is my favorite I made, in fact, this is the first post I ever made. All the other ones I made are pretty bad
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/46693/quick-legion-sketch#latest
Here you go! My legion artwork
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/46693/quick-legion-sketch#latest
Here is the artwork!
I like reading what people make up. Even got a favorite killer concept, one that's also pretty old.
Some prisoner killer with shock collars, kinda like a mix between Pig and Doctor.