What goofy mistakes did you make when you were brand new to the game?

At this point, pretty much everyone here has a strong understanding of the game, but that wasn't always the case. We were all new once.

I remember the first time I played this game in 2022 with my partner. SWF'd together and got into a match against Myers. He found me first and was just standing there. I thought he was being cute/friendly so I walked up, gestured, ran in circles, told my partner I was frolicking in the grass with my new pal Mike.

Yeah he was farming me for stalk.

We lost that game. I died very violently.

My question to you, as the game closes in on 10 years, is what misconceptions/mistakes did you make back in the good old days?

Comments

  • @Xaerdy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4062233#Comment_4062233

    Oh no, no time for pride. My friends immediatly told me, that this notified the killer of our position and also wouldn't stay sabatoged. So it was much more running with a red head full of shame.

    Aw :(

    Still, respect the gumption nonetheless!

  • when i first started the game tunneling and slugging and camping was the way to play the game and i had fun but until the 30 day mark of grinding a survivor told me to stop slugging and tunneling and camping;

    mind you i didn't know what any of these terms were except tunneling because the word was self explanatory.

    So i asked him to explain and i realised what i did wrong.

    but this was like 2 years ago so i'm now a seasoned veteran that knows better.

    for example i realized with playing enough dbd that any killer is an s tier if you learn to make up for what the killer lacks by the following; using the killer power in a unique way or building a perk build to cover a certain killers blind spot in game for example;

    nemesis id add his uncommon add on that increases zombie field of vision by a lot and another one i cant remember but i know it increases zombie speed.

    perks id use speed perks like rapid brutality and oppression and surge and darkness revealed to stop gens while finding survivors and keep up with them.

    another killer that can be s teir if you can make up for it his blind gameplay spot is trapper.

    trapper can improve by spies in shadows, oppression, surge and darkness revealed.

    for his add ons id choose the brown add on that makes my trap setting speed redicoulsy fast because while i'm in chase I can set trap and gain haste and another is bloody coil so survivors will stop setting of my traps and running away

    ik some of you might not like what iv'e said so far I understand you its just I want to explain how I play the game and if you have a different opinion id like to hear it because knowledge from others helps me improve in game.

  • when i first started the game tunneling and slugging and camping was the way to play the game and i had fun but until the 30 day mark of grinding a survivor told me to stop slugging and tunneling and camping;

    mind you i didn't know what any of these terms were except tunneling because the word was self explanatory.

    So i asked him to explain and i realised what i did wrong.

    but this was like 2 years ago so i'm now a seasoned veteran that knows better.

    for example i realized with playing enough dbd that any killer is an s tier if you learn to make up for what the killer lacks by the following; using the killer power in a unique way or building a perk build to cover a certain killers blind spot in game for example;

    nemesis id add his uncommon add on that increases zombie field of vision by a lot and another one i cant remember but i know it increases zombie speed.

    perks id use speed perks like rapid brutality and oppression and surge and darkness revealed to stop gens while finding survivors and keep up with them.

    another killer that can be s teir if you can make up for it his blind gameplay spot is trapper.

    trapper can improve by spies in shadows, oppression, surge and darkness revealed.

    for his add ons id choose the brown add on that makes my trap setting speed redicoulsy fast because while i'm in chase I can set trap and gain haste and another is bloody coil so survivors will stop setting of my traps and running away

    ik some of you might not like what iv'e said so far I understand you its just I want to explain how I play the game and if you have a different opinion id like to hear it because knowledge from others helps me improve in game.

  • I thought of another one; when I was being taught the meta perks, I didn't understand why recovering 5% with Unbreakable was such a huge deal. why take a perk to recover 5% when a teammate could do that for free?

  • I thought when you hit p100 you'd no longer be able to use the bloodweb. It would just end there.

  • @cogsturning said:

    I thought when you hit p100 you'd no longer be able to use the bloodweb. It would just end there.

    Seeing this and remembering that the prestige rework has almost been in the game for 4 years makes me feel old ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4062976#Comment_4062976

    Seeing this and remembering that the prestige rework has almost been in the game for 4 years makes me feel old ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

    People born in 2006 are 20.

  • K first of all, that makes it even worst

    Second of all, not what Im referring to

    Its mainly that there are people who only started playing after the prestige rework which to me (a long time player since mid 2017) doesnt feel that long ago, but 4 years is still a good chunk of time.

  • I had no idea fast actions alerted the killer and was pulled out of lockers without understanding how the killer knew I was in a locker ๐Ÿ˜‚

    I also had no idea you were supposed to wait for other survivors to unhook you, believing attempting self unhook was necessary

    This was back in 2017

  • @Xaerdy Back in the day, hooks didn't respawn so that would have been a legitimate gameplay tactic if you did this years ago

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4063107#Comment_4063107

    K first of all, that makes it even worst

    Second of all, not what Im referring to

    Its mainly that there are people who only started playing after the prestige rework which to me (a long time player since mid 2017) doesnt feel that long ago, but 4 years is still a good chunk of time.

    Sorry dude. I had this realisation and I felt like I had to share the pain it gave me.

    I am one of those players. My first games were in 2022 and I only really started playing seriously (as in focusing on getting better, prestiging all killers/survs) recently. This thread has turned out more interesting to me than I expected when posting it because I'm learning lots os niche info from the olden days that I wasn't present for. Feels like I'm getting pop's war stories.

    @Linkdouken said:

    I had no idea fast actions alerted the killer and was pulled out of lockers without understanding how the killer knew I was in a locker ๐Ÿ˜‚

    I also had no idea you were supposed to wait for other survivors to unhook you, believing attempting self unhook was necessary

    This was back in 2017

    This issue remains. Chasing default Meg, she rounds a corner. I get a loud noise notification (and just the noise in general) of a fast locker entry. I turn the corner to see a single locker there and nothing else.

    This is usually my moment to go full horror movie and pretend to not find her before coming back for the jumpscare. They gotta learn that this doesn't work, but why not make it a bit fun for em too, eh?

  • play survivor as a mostly deaf person. (60% hearing loss)

  • @zonkednb said:

    At this point, pretty much everyone here has a strong understanding of the game, but that wasn't always the case. We were all new once.

    I remember the first time I played this game in 2022 with my partner. SWF'd together and got into a match against Myers. He found me first and was just standing there. I thought he was being cute/friendly so I walked up, gestured, ran in circles, told my partner I was frolicking in the grass with my new pal Mike.

    Yeah he was farming me for stalk.

    We lost that game. I died very violently.

    My question to you, as the game closes in on 10 years, is what misconceptions/mistakes did you make back in the good old days?

    I equipped Wraith with insidious. I don't even remember doing it but I went back into my old screenshots and there is my wraith with Insidious. I don't even know what I thought it did at the time

  • Probably the goofiest mistake was investing in it at all. ๐Ÿ˜ต

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/464974/what-goofy-mistakes-did-you-make-when-you-were-brand-new-to-the-game

    I equipped Wraith with insidious. I don't even remember doing it but I went back into my old screenshots and there is my wraith with Insidious. I don't even know what I thought it did at the time

    I just want to make sure you understand. I know new people have trouble grasping it but you do get that wraith has this cool thing called cloak that gives him undetectable when you use it. You really should give it a try. It's really cool.

  • In my first matches against nurse back in 2017 I looped her like regular killer and after few games understood what she does or stared at mayers but those were early days same like some people didnt understand how to play nurse back than when ranks were a thing and you had matches against these blue eyes nurses that cahsed you like normal m1 killer and it was easy escape.

  • @pigslittlepet said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4063554#Comment_4063554

    I just want to make sure you understand. I know new people have trouble grasping it but you do get that wraith has this cool thing called cloak that gives him undetectable when you use it. You really should give it a try. It's really cool.

    And I just need to remind you....yellow toolbox

1 2 โ€บ