Springtrap needs 4.6 m/s and Hindered effect to be viable
Hi everyone! I’ve been playing a lot of The Animatronic lately, and honestly, his mechanics feel pretty weak against even average survivors. As a huge fan of the character, I think he needs some serious adjustments. Right now, his 4.4 m/s speed makes him much weaker than other killers. On Huntress or Deathslinger, 4.4 speed is justified because they have strong ranged abilities. For Springtrap, his security doors only help with map mobility, but they don't help in a chase. He needs more power at loops. Here is what I’d change: Base speed 4.6 m/s: He needs to be a 4.6 killer. Even when he is just carrying the axe, his speed should stay at 4.6 m/s. Since his doors are only for map pressure, he needs standard speed to be competitive in actual chases. Hindered effect on axe hits: When you land a hit with the axe, the survivor should get a Hindered (slowdown) effect. Right now, the reward for hitting your power is too small, and survivors gain too much distance. These changes would make him much more consistent and fun to play without making him broken. What do you guys think?
Comments
Not arguing with the post or anything just pointing out some things that might make his 4.4 speed reasonable despite having one of the longest ranged cooldowns. Of all the ranged killers he is the only one with teleport mobility, and natural undetectable status without needing addons or perks. Also his speed increases once the axe is thrown weather it hits or not - to the fastest possible base movement speed. If the target has an axe in them he can even bypass dead hard with a grabbing animation that has a rather generous range.
Id say his primary problem isnt the speed, but the rate at which he can use his m2. Perhaps he can carry a 2nd or 3rd axe that recharge stacks at the current cooldown time so that he isnt just stuck with 1 shot then forced into m1. And the speed boost he normaly gets from throwing his 1 axe, can apply only if the axe is embeded in the target. This may allow him to continue chasing at a dangerous speed and still continue to be a ranged threat which other ranged killers do not have that kind of combination, but also continue to enforce the need for precision with his shots rather than just spaming an axe to the ground to start chasing people with 2 more axes fsster.
The problem is that against experienced survivors, dodging the axe isn't that hard. Most of them already know how to bait the throw or use the environment. Even if you try to hit them during an animation, a good survivor will play around it.
If you miss that one axe, you're stuck as a 4.6 killer with zero power while waiting for the cooldown. That’s a massive window for the survivor to reach a safe tile. And about the grab — you can only do it if the axe actually lands, but as I said, hitting it is the hardest part.
That’s exactly why he needs base 4.6 speed. It would make his chase more consistent so he doesn’t have to rely 100% on a single, easily dodged skillshot. Right now, if you miss, you lose the chase, and that shouldn't happen to a killer with so much cooldown."
Also, sorry if my English is a bit rough, it’s not my native language
Didnt even notice, your english is just fine. Another problem ive experienced is that in walled tiles like the house of pain (the small house with 2 sets of stairs going down in opposite directions) he can be looped for quite a while just based on how loud his footsteps are. I was even accused of wallhacks because i looped a springtrap there for 4.5 generators because i could hear everytime he changed direction trying to mindgame (even on the glitchtrap skin which i think they made the steps louder since people were saying it was a pay to win skin). He also didn't know about the doors revealing him but it was only occasionally.
Yeah exactly! You hit the nail on the head. Those loud footsteps are honestly a death sentence for a 4.4 killer. If you can hear exactly where I am and I’m also slow, how am I even supposed to mindgame?
Especially in buildings like House of Pain, 4.4 speed is just painful. A 4.6 killer could at least close the gap before you react to the sound, but Springtrap just gets looped forever.
It basically proves my point: his 'stealth' is useless if everyone can hear him coming like a freight train lol. This is why he needs that 4.6 base speed and some Hindered effect to actually punish people. Otherwise he’s just way too easy to track.
I think Springtrap is fine as is, I think you need to get better at using his Axe and see how weak he feels after that.
I don't understand why it will become weaker, on the contrary, it will improve it.
Im not saying your idea will make him weaker, I know it would make him strong.
What I mean is, I disagree that he needs it. I play Springtrap quite often and its easily a walk in the park.
Honestly, I don't think these changes will bother him. I play him all the time and the 4.4 speed doesn't allow him to fully realize his potential. Regarding the axe slowdown, it will greatly help him catch up with the survivor and the capture mechanic will be more useful since I constantly play him. I very rarely captured them even in doors and it seems logical to me that the axe will slow down given its weight. I'm just sorry for repeating myself. He is weak in pursuit and it is not difficult to dodge the axe, at most in the animation. So these changes will help him become better in pursuits. It's just that in the current game, when he throws the axe, he becomes a standard 4.6 mana without an ability. I hope you understand me. My experience tells me that he needs these changes. Thank you for paying attention to my post and I hope the game developers will notice it.
I apologize again for any errors in the text. I use a translator because English is not my native language.
Idk i think he's fine once you get into the habit of dropping the axe and only recalling it when you need it. You'll know when you need it after a lot of experience with killer in general. Even with this playstyle of being 4.6m/s without the axe in hand. The sheer possibility of recalling it does make the survivor have to think ahead. You can also use the undetectable out of a door to help get basic hits.
Would he be overpowered if he was 4.6m/s, i have no idea but it would certainly remove depth which i think is not good.
I don't think 4.6 will do anything. It will remove his depth. You'll still need to hit with this axe. And the same hunter's 4.4 speed is justified by her axes, while Springtrap only has 1, which is easy to miss. And I think it's justified about the doors, but you need to understand that experienced survivors will be waiting for him from the door and will immediately run away at the sound, and at 4.4 speed, it will take a very long time to catch them. And throwing an axe to increase speed makes him just an M1 maniac, and survivors can start the generator during this time.
Honestly, I don't think these changes will bother him. I play him all the time and the 4.4 speed doesn't allow him to fully realize his potential. Regarding the axe slowdown, it will greatly help him catch up with the survivor and the capture mechanic will be more useful since I constantly play him. I very rarely captured them even in doors and it seems logical to me that the axe will slow down given its weight. I'm just sorry for repeating myself. He is weak in pursuit and it is not difficult to dodge the axe, at most in the animation. So these changes will help him become better in pursuits. It's just that in the current game, when he throws the axe, he becomes a standard 4.6 mana without an ability. I hope you understand me. My experience tells me that he needs these changes. Thank you for paying attention to my post and I hope the game developers will notice it.