Toxicity Is Out Of Control And It Chases Away New Players
I've been playing this game for 5 years. And I played "toxic" games longer like League of Legends and Rust. But none of them allow toxicity to this extend. Sure they don't allow bad word in the chat after end game but thats not a way to stop them. They will tell people to kill themselves, ######### their mothers and many other awful words in steam comments section. Some even DDOS attack, Twitch "streamers" literally ask their viewers to comment bomb someones profile. I'm used to these types of people, u delete them, block them and most of the times they go away. But there are new players bullied off of the game more than people realise. I have more than 20 friends who love horror genre but when I ask them to play DBD they just refuse because of how unfriendly the community is. Killers get bullied, flashlighted, stunned by a group of survivors that leave 1 gen unfinished for hours, survivors slugged, humped by killers and survivors body blocking the Survivor, refusing to do gens and hide all game (because they got mad at the killer/survivor) literally not saving their teammates because they don't like their skin or they want their item. Reporting them via support (because they don't look at the in-game reporting) takes a year and a half day, and even if they are banned it is literally only 1 or 3 days without even a single chat ban. I don't even remember the last time I had a game where someone wasn't toxic. BHVR NEEDS to do something about them. Maybe an easier report system maybe a more grounded punishment but something needs to be done.
Comments
Separating game bans from chat bans would go a long way in this. Allowing people to simply disable post game chat, or even making it "opt in" instead by default so it doesn't show up unless you actively want to see it would also be great. And I don't mean "just hide the box", that's not it. I want the option to simply turn the feature off like console, no box whatsoever. And I want everyone to see that I have chat disabled so they don't waste their time.
Again though, why aren't chat bans a thing? I don't mind toxic players getting to play the game, but if a player consistently says the most vile stuff they can think of in post game, why should they be allowed to use the feature exactly? Right now, BHVR could only straight up ban or suspend their account as punishment but that feels too harsh to me and it's bad PR to straight up ban players just for being awful in post game chat. And I agree with BHVR to be lenient on bans like that. But why on earth after 10 years is there no chat ban? Not having it makes this way more complicated than it has to be. If you have an extremely high chat abuse report rate, perma mute after a manual review. There we go. Problem solved. Then these players can either cope in another way after a bad match or go make a new account if being able to verbally abuse people any time they're upset is so important to them.
I just don't get why chat and game bans aren't separate already, it makes dealing with these types of extremely toxic players much more complicated than it needs to be.
It’s out of control because there are no consequences for post-game chat abuse. I’ve reported people many times for the most vile things imaginable (death threats, wishing terrible diseases/death on family, etc) and not a single one has gotten a response from BHVR. I don’t even know why they have a reporting system because it clearly doesn’t do anything.
I recall around the time maria came out for heather(cheryl) and there was a pyramid head bming me so bad that i disconnected and he continued to even bm the bot the entire round. The report for griefing actually went through and banned him (for who knows how long). But that was the last time that griefing report system ever worked. And believe me ive seen just as bad things hundreds of times after and it hasnt worked since. Its almost as if theyve given up on (griefing category) bans entirely as they might be getting reports nearly every round played, so they focus more on hacker bans.