Simple, basic Trapper mini-rework
-+10% haste for 6 seconds after someone is caught in a trap
Reasoning: either gives him the chance to snag someone before they escape the trap, or gives him help in a chase. Either way you get value out of the trap.
-Bloody Coil change: Bloody Coil now takes a health state instead of just harming healthy survs, meaning disarming a trap can now down people
Reasoning: adds a way to deal with that annoying guy who just follows you the entire game and disarms all your traps with no real recourse other than wasting your time to tunnel him out
-Set trap escape time to 6-8 seconds
Reasoning: No more randomness/skill gap here, you will always know how long it takes someone to escape your trap.
He needs more but I feel like these changes would put him in a better place than he is now until a full rework can be done, and this also doesn't add complicated stuff as he's supposed to be a character newbies can use easily.
Comments
Skull Merchant getting haste from some doofus across the map when you were the one being chased was enough for me to see that's not a fun mechanic. 10% would also be way too high.
Bloody Coil is already one of his best add-ons, buffing it with your suggestion would make it completely oppressive, especially when paired with Iridescent Stone.
As someone who played my fair share of Trapper, some buffs that might help:
I really believe that making him invulnerable to his traps would only increase the frustration of proxycamping basement and in scenario where he can just ignore his traps and walk over them also doesn't seem good to me. Reducing the animation when caught in own trap is a possibility though.
like Valimure say.
survivor don't like when chase some doofus give Skull Merchant/trapper haste.
so it can change like Houndmaster's search.
if some doofus getting trapped.
send a ghost genie move to the trap, Draw a path that give trapper 1~30% haste.
as a trap killer, the best buff is to reduce the limit of traps.
Well, trapper is OP instantly if he use health lost add-on … that's some ######### balance the dev got.
In what way does that make Trapper "OP"?
As someone who usually stays injured against most killers anyway (unless I’m on dead hook) — once I get hit once, I generally just stay injured unless someone on the team has a fast-heal perk or item.
And I do this against killers that are way stronger than Trapper in their basekit.
What makes Trapper OP for u? I don’t get it.
y..
especially letting Trapper start with his traps already set up would be a fair and important change.
@Zuiphrode I'm not a fan of the Bloody Coil change, because Bloody Coil already feels like an add-on that makes a big difference/is one of his strongest, and I don't want to make that add-on a must have. The 10% Haste is also an issue because it impacts chase with other players. However the set trap time I'm with you on.
@Valimure also has a good suggestion with the removal of stepping in his own traps, but I will forever stand against Trappers Sack basekit, as it just makes Trapper a trap the holy hell out of a zone 1 trick (mostly basement), and removes all elements of trap management.
To my mind what Trapper needs is:
Most of this is Pally's (YouTube) suggestion for Trapper, with some tweaks for elements I didn't agree with, but I think these are the changes I'd like to see most on Trapper.
In what way does that make Trapper "OP"?
As someone who usually stays injured against most killers anyway (unless I’m on dead hook) — once I get hit once, I generally just stay injured unless someone on the team has a fast-heal perk or item.
And I do this against killers that are way stronger than Trapper in their basekit.
This is some tier 1 thinking right here. I'm glad I'm out of it most of the time.
removing him being able to step in his traps would make camping way too powerful and boring