Any tips for newer players that want to get into the game?
I just thought I'd make a post for all the newer players in the forums to check out if they are in any need of advice on how to get into Dead by Daylight. As all of us veteran players are aware, Dead by Daylight is more than just a simple gameplay loop. Theres a lot of macro and micro decisions to be made, hundreds of perks, loads of content, even more addons than perks, and the list goes on. So have at it gamers!
Comments
Watch content creators like Otz instead of relying solely on the frankly useless in-game tutorial.
Don't buy any perks from the Shrine unless they are from a license you don't intend on buying. In case of all the rest, you are just wasting precious shards.
Play more on the killer side if you're new, at least at the start. Trust me, you'll have less of a bad time this way and you don't get as frustrated as quickly.
None, because honestly, it all depends on the perks you're up against and the type of player you're up against. And I completely disagree with the idea of Otz being trustworthy because everyone wants to follow his ideas, and that's hurting the game, using only strategies he created and expanding the "meta perks and strategies."
Reading all the perks and addons could be a good option, but there are so many that many don't want to take the time. MMR is useless, so you don't know what type of player you'll be up against, or if it'll be a premade or a killer tryhard. It's too complicated; this game isn't friendly to new players.
Don't be afraid to experiment with all the perks, items, and addons and different perk combinations. Way too many people will try to tell you there's perks that are "unusable" and that you should entirely avoid leveling certain survivors or killers because their perks are "useless" and while some perks are genuinely just bad, they can still fit niche playstyles or maybe you just like the perk. Fire Up has been my favorite perk that I use on every single killer since I started and I've been pretty successful with it, yet most people would call it horrible, especially pre-buff.
Don't get too attached to anything: not perks, not items, not add-ons and, especially not killer powers.
Your favorite things could change at any given point.
I found this out the hard way sadly :(
I lost my Sadako. I miss old video tapes.
IMO the most important skill in a PvP game is the ability to recognise when someone's outplayed you or you've made a mistake, recognise it, and learn from it or at least take it in stride. It doesn't just help you improve, it's what the fun of the game relies on and how you avoid getting tilted.
Nice, probably the best starter advice. I think a lot more players would stick with DBD if they play both sides and search online for guides.
As an additonal point, I would also recommend levelling each character one full prestige level each with the early bloodpoints so they can start making builds quickly, and to start off I'd recommend:
Next consider: -
First characters to unlock:
Finally if in the shrine (or characters to buy), these perks if they ever see them are very helpful for newbies:
Good luck!