Ruin is now worthless (Rank 1 Xbox)

Rank 1 surv and killer on Xbox. Over 1500 hours.

Ruin has now officially become useless

As both survivor and killer, 3 gens will still get done by the end of the first chase. I said this a long time ago, but survivors that can hit great skill checks don't care about Ruin. I haven't cared about it for a long time I would just plow through the gen anyway. On top of that, all the rank 1 survivors like myself know where every totem spawns. We do a gen in the normal 80 seconds or less, and if Ruin didn't pop at the start of the game it definitely will once a few gens are done.

It's only maybe 1 in 10 games now where Ruin actually does anything to slow the game. As survivor the only time I'm even phased by Ruin is if I'm just unlucky and get skill checks every 2 seconds. Otherwise I just hit great skill checks and carry on as usual.

I'm not complaining. I can still 4k at rank 1, and I don't use Ruin on all my killers anyway. Consider this a PSA. Maybe PC or PS4 doesn't have to worry because there are more potato survivors, but Xbox it has now officially become mostly useless at red ranks.

Comments

  • I think ruin is only in any way useful now against the lower ranks. Most high rank survivors can work through it, if it has not been taken out early that is.

  • @thesuicidefox you're right. BTW have you come to my way of thinking about that Self care thing we discussed on YT comments? Or not yet?

  • Ruin isn't that bad tbh, I'm on PS4, I love when Killers use Ruin, it's a challenge for me to get better and it's amazing to see that it really does nothing to slow down Gens. The skill checks aren't often and it's not too hard to get them. It's so fun to play against I actually get disappointed when Survivors destroy the totem, when I'm a Survivor. And my teammates waste so much time looking for the totem, that's what slows down the game, not the effect itself.

    Maybe Ruin needs a quality of life update like other older perks have gotten lately? Maybe the Regression is 8% isntead of 5? I don't know.

  • I don't know, I personally have always noticed quite the difference when using Ruin and when not using Ruin. I don't think there's anyone who can hit every single great skill check. Obviously it's more effective at lower ranks, but it still helps me at rank 1 as well in my experience.

  • Ruin is a trash perk anyway. Stop relying on it. I never use it or NOED and regularly get 3-4 kills. I also get plenty of 0-2 kill rounds but that's the way the game works.
  • @brokedownpalace said:
    Ruin is a trash perk anyway. Stop relying on it. I never use it or NOED and regularly get 3-4 kills. I also get plenty of 0-2 kill rounds but that's the way the game works.

    I don't "rely" on it, I made the post as a PSA. It's just kind of crazy how little it actually impacts the game now compared to even just last season. It's like night and day.

  • @brokendownpalace

    Ruin is a trash perk anyway. Stop relying on it.

    That sounds contradictory.

    Honestly, the problem with ruin is mainly that it affects newer player the hardest where as it punishes higher tier players the least.
    In a perfect world, this disparity would've been addressed.

  • Killers only have themselves to blame. Surivors got tons of practice doing Ruin because everyone ran it.

  • Ruin skill checks are RNG thats why they can power through it.
  • Ruin gets overrated, I always have better success with overcharge. And when it comes to hex totems devour hope Tier 1 all the way.
  • Devour Hope ohh such an underrated Hex. Killers should use it more its' amazing.

  • @Mochan said:
    Devour Hope ohh such an underrated Hex. Killers should use it more its' amazing.

    Ayyyy, another DH user!

  • Ruin is a terribly designed perk, it punishes new players but does little to experienced players.

    Blood Warden > Ruin.

  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Ruin gets overrated, I always have better success with overcharge. And when it comes to hex totems devour hope Tier 1 all the way.

    Overcharge doesn't affect real rank 1 players either. The only time it's going to work is if you pair it with Unnerving to make the skill check super tiny, but I'm positive that if they EVER increase the frame rate cap on console this wouldn't be an issue.

    Literally the only things that make a difference in time now are Sloppy Butcher, Thanatophobia, PGTW, Dying Light, and Remember Me. All because they physically slow down stuff and don't just make skill checks harder.

    @Might_Oakk said:
    Ruin is a terribly designed perk, it punishes new players but does little to experienced players.

    Blood Warden > Ruin.

    I agree. BW is a great perk I use it on my a few of my killers and it is devastating when you get it to proc. You catch a lot of survivors with it.

  • I don't use it anymore either. On one hand it can actually slow the game down, but most of the time the case is as you say. I just run blood warden and some chase-augmenting perk now instead of ruin lol

  • The bad thing about running over charge is that since the last patch, the games run smoother and skill checkd are way less jumpy.
  • Ruin, like other hex perks, has always been useless. Either destroyed within the first few minutes due to poor totem mechanics and placement, or high ranking Survivors will just spill check their way through the effect. Ruin only has a massive effect at low ranks.